Posted 24th Dec 2021
I won an auction but the seller is obviously unhappy with the amount it sold for. I had actually messaged him earlier in the week asking if he had a buy it now price to which he said price X I asked if he would accept price Y & he said would rather let the auction end & see what he gets. I won the auction with an amount lower than my offer of Y thus lower the price he wanted X. Despite me winning he has cancelled the order stating it's damaged but has relisted the item. He has no reserve set & the same starting price.
I know there is no way for me to reviece the item & it's not like I'm out of pocket but it's a matter of principle. eBay clearly allowed for features like setting a higher starting price or even setting a reserve price which he should be doing if he doesn't want item to sell for less than he wants but to just cancel sale because not happy then relist it's unacceptable.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
Top comments
can't you just leave them a negative feedback and move on?
I had a seller sell me a gaming laptop worth a grand. He described it as brand new. When I recieved it, it had a factory refurbished sticker on the box instead of the retail box. There was also a loose screw dangling around.

I contacted the seller, who sent me a prepaid UPS label. I sent the laptop back but then the seller kept 25% restocking fee and handed me a refund. I had to escalate with Paypal and provide a ton of evidence. Eventually, Paypal refunded me in full. I left -ve feedback for the seller that I had to get Paypal involved to get my money back. Apparently, I cannot say things like this and my feedback was removed.

I googled the company and it turns out the 100,000+ feedback seller is actually selling stuff from his bedroom.

25 Comments
  1. Avatar
    Just go to the item listing page for the relisted item, scroll down to Report This Item and then follow the steps there to report an issue with the seller. You need to play around finding the right option to take you through reporting it for the reason you want. Just state what happened and mention that you have messages that confirm this.

As for the actual item, there’s nothing eBay can do to force the seller to honour the bid and send you the item so just look elsewhere for it and report them for bad practices.
  2. Avatar
    If you do follow it up he’s likely to say to eBay that it the same but different item, personally not worth the time and hassle but you could try winning it again, if it wasn’t popular the first time round then you might be able to still get it cheap.
  3. Avatar
  4. Avatar
    The same thing happened with a seller a month ago. Like the OP I'm not out of pocket, but its frustrating.
  5. Avatar
    Your best best is the make a public record of your dealings with this seller. Use the link below, select the item and leave the appropriate comment.

ebay.co.uk/fdb…ack
  6. Avatar
    Author
    Galvatron24/12/2021 14:58

If I could leave negative feedback that would be ideal but there's no option to leave feedback as they cancelled the sale & it just says closed as status under my purchase history
  7. Avatar
    little_green24/12/2021 15:29

If I could leave negative feedback that would be ideal but there's no …If I could leave negative feedback that would be ideal but there's no option to leave feedback as they cancelled the sale & it just says closed as status under my purchase history

I would chat with an advisor if that's the case then mate.
  8. Avatar
    Ebay will do nothing. They don't care about you, only money. They are an appalling company.
  9. Avatar
    I had a seller sell me a gaming laptop worth a grand. He described it as brand new. When I recieved it, it had a factory refurbished sticker on the box instead of the retail box. There was also a loose screw dangling around.

I contacted the seller, who sent me a prepaid UPS label. I sent the laptop back but then the seller kept 25% restocking fee and handed me a refund. I had to escalate with Paypal and provide a ton of evidence. Eventually, Paypal refunded me in full. I left -ve feedback for the seller that I had to get Paypal involved to get my money back. Apparently, I cannot say things like this and my feedback was removed.

I googled the company and it turns out the 100,000+ feedback seller is actually selling stuff from his bedroom.

10. Avatar
    He's quite entitled to cancel the sale. It's not legally binding, but if he has used the reason as damaged, and then listed the same item (Description and pictures) get in touch with ebay with both item numbers and they may cancel the damaged item.

You won't be able to leave a negative anyway like others have suggested as the sale didn't happen.
  11. Avatar
    I have been through this and worse, the seller gave the reason as buyer asked for cancellation. I had to call eBay to reverse it.
  12. Avatar
    Author
    I know it's trivial but it's literally a matter of principle more than anything I don't care that I won't get the item & I'm not delusioned by thinking that doing this will in any way get me them either. I think it's just literally the brass neck of the seller that's got to me & the fact that ok fair enough he wants a certain price well then implement the tools eBay's has to set that don't pretend you want a lower price but then refuse a sale
  13. Avatar
    Happens a lot on ebay. Usually I just neg and move on.

Years ago I won an auction for a ladies' Seiko watch at a decent price (it wasn't super-cheap, just a reasonable price) and the seller messaged to say (paraphrasing) "as you got it cheaper than I anticipated, I won't put a new battery in the watch" (as stated in the listing), which I thought was a bit miserable!

edit: I didn't neg that one
    Edited by: "louiselouise" 24th Dec 2021
  14. Avatar
    little_green24/12/2021 18:00

I know it's trivial but it's literally a matter of principle more than …I know it's trivial but it's literally a matter of principle more than anything I don't care that I won't get the item & I'm not delusioned by thinking that doing this will in any way get me them either. I think it's just literally the brass neck of the seller that's got to me & the fact that ok fair enough he wants a certain price well then implement the tools eBay's has to set that don't pretend you want a lower price but then refuse a sale

Reporting him will achieve nothing, it's just a waste of your own time. As others have said, he can easily claim he has relisted the item within the terms of eBay with any number of excuses which eBay have no way of verifying as true.

Just leave him negative feedback. The exact same thing has happened to me more than once on eBay. It's one of the downsides you have to take on the chin if you use the platform
    Edited by: "J_." 24th Dec 2021
  15. Avatar
    Author
    J_.24/12/2021 19:26

Reporting him will achieve nothing, it's just a waste of your own time. As …Reporting him will achieve nothing, it's just a waste of your own time. As others have said, he can easily claim he has relisted the item within the terms of eBay with any number of excuses which eBay have no way of verifying as true.Just leave him negative feedback. The exact same thing has happened to me more than once in eBay. It's one of the downsides you have to take on the chin if you use the platform

I'd be glad if I could leave eg feedback but can't that's part of my annoyance
  16. Avatar
    Yes, as said. People saying leave a Neg, but that's not possible as the sale has been cancelled. Crap I know, but that's how ebay works.

I also have the same as a seller.
    People buying BIN with paypal, then a message asking to cancel, and I have to then force the cancel with "Item damaged" or similar.

My other option is to ship pay for shipping, wait for the customer to abuse it and send it back, then refund in full anyway.

As with everything, you get some bad sellers, and bad buyers.
    On the whole, I've had 99% successful buying and selling. Just pick your items and sellers right.
    Edited by: "Chiptivo" 24th Dec 2021
  17. Avatar
    Chiptivo24/12/2021 17:14

He's quite entitled to cancel the sale. It's not legally binding, but if …He's quite entitled to cancel the sale. It's not legally binding, but if he has used the reason as damaged, and then listed the same item (Description and pictures) get in touch with ebay with both item numbers and they may cancel the damaged item. You won't be able to leave a negative anyway like others have suggested as the sale didn't happen.

Simply not true. An auction is legally binding when the hammer falls. Of course 99.9% of buyers won't pursue it though.
  18. Avatar
    If you can leave feedback (even if it’s positive) write what happened in the feedback.

eg: cancelled sale due to low bid and relisted AVOID

But eBay has made it so you can literally have any negative feedback (good or bad) removed now. The sooner eBay folds the better.
    Edited by: "BadMF" 24th Dec 2021
  19. Avatar
    little_green24/12/2021 19:27

I'd be glad if I could leave eg feedback but can't that's part of my …I'd be glad if I could leave eg feedback but can't that's part of my annoyance

I see. Then yes, I would report the seller, but I would ring ebay and speak with them instead of using the automated service on the website. Explain the details to an actual human. Far more likely to be investigated properly. The call center is based in Ireland, for what that's worth, the customer service staff are actually very good.
  20. Avatar
    Just remember his address and next time you happen to be in that part of the UK pee through his letterbox.
  21. Avatar
    BadMF24/12/2021 19:49

If you can leave feedback (even if it’s positive) write what happened in t …If you can leave feedback (even if it’s positive) write what happened in the feedback. eg: cancelled sale due to low bid and relisted AVOIDBut eBay has made it so you can literally have any negative feedback (good or bad) removed now. The sooner eBay folds the better.

As a customer service person for a small business on ebay I can reassure that this (sadly) isn't the case.

eBay seller support are extremely strict and won't just remove negative feedback even if we have a very strong case.

Some things qualify for instant removal but the majority don't.

We have to fight, and fight, and fight. And then it's luck.
  22. Avatar
    I'm sure you have their details when you won the listing? In which case, and with eBay protecting the chancer, if I was in your position I would post their details on adult sites
  23. Avatar
    Azwipe24/12/2021 19:47

Simply not true. An auction is legally binding when the hammer falls. Of …Simply not true. An auction is legally binding when the hammer falls. Of course 99.9% of buyers won't pursue it though.

Was just about to post the same. There are a lot of binding contracts being broken every day on eBay (from both directions). It's just almost never worth the hassle to pursue it for anyone.
  24. Avatar
    Chiptivo24/12/2021 19:29

Yes, as said. People saying leave a Neg, but that's not possible as the …Yes, as said. People saying leave a Neg, but that's not possible as the sale has been cancelled. Crap I know, but that's how ebay works.I also have the same as a seller. People buying BIN with paypal, then a message asking to cancel, and I have to then force the cancel with "Item damaged" or similar. My other option is to ship pay for shipping, wait for the customer to abuse it and send it back, then refund in full anyway. As with everything, you get some bad sellers, and bad buyers. On the whole, I've had 99% successful buying and selling. Just pick your items and sellers right.

Easy solution for this one, say no and send them an empty box. Then wait for them to fight it through eBay, if they win you send them a refund and are in the same position, if they lose donate their money to charity.

Will make them think twice about doing the same thing again either way.
  25. Avatar
    Annoy them back by bidding on the newly listed item and don't bother paying

It seems there is nothing to deter people from doing that any more, as there doesn't seem to be any way of reporting non-paying bidders any more - all eBay will let you do now is cancel the sale, and you can't even give a reason! When did that change?
Post a comment
Top Merchants