How to report eBay seller claiming to be in UK but in China?

19 replies
Found 10th Mar
OK not a major issue for most but it really get on my nerves when i select UK only and can see the seller is based in Manchester or London and the estimated delivery is 3-4days. A week later when you contact seller as you don't have item you can tell they are based in China due to broken English and obviously when you receive your item 2 weeks later with Chinese customs stamps!

Soft fraud at its best

1. Ask
  2. China
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. China
19 Comments

Nothing you can do about it.

These chinese sellers pretending to be based in the UK are destroying Uk business's due to their cheap prices. But long delivery times.

I had one recently where i bought a LED light from a seller claiming to be from Manchester.. or might of been Portsmouth, i can't remember now. But the LED light arrived faulty, the chinese seller said i can pay £5 for a replacement (originally cost £18). They don't seem to understand what warranty returns and guarantees mean.

Anyway, nothing you can do about it. They've probably rented a virtual office in the UK, anyone can do it then register a business to it.

Best thing to do when buying is to look at their original registered business address, it usually is in china. You can find this at the bottom of the listing or if using ebay app then go into their user name then scroll down to the legal information part.

You can report it to eBay. They take this serious. I bought a ps4 controller from a place in London. It took two weeks to arrive and then when it arrived it was either broken or a cheap knockoff. I asked seller to return it, and I had a choice of either paying to return to China or having £5 back as a good will gesture. I asked eBay, and they said if I raise a claim with them, id win and get a full refund purely because the seller misrepresented their location. The offer of money back gradually went up as we got closer to the deadline, when the day before the seller gave me a full refund to avoid the arbitration from eBay.

normally,the good one, do genuinely send from UK. Some do not

Edited by: "bobo53" 10th Mar

You could contact the Dail Mail, just keep practicing your sad face. You'll get a story.

Pointless task, they just claim to have depots in the UK, just don't buy anything from them if you don't want the long delivery times?

usually if you click on the seller and then click on legal information it has their address.

J4GG4

Nothing you can do about it.These chinese sellers pretending to be based … Nothing you can do about it.These chinese sellers pretending to be based in the UK are destroying Uk business's due to their cheap prices. But long delivery times.I had one recently where i bought a LED light from a seller claiming to be from Manchester.. or might of been Portsmouth, i can't remember now. But the LED light arrived faulty, the chinese seller said i can pay £5 for a replacement (originally cost £18). They don't seem to understand what warranty returns and guarantees mean.Anyway, nothing you can do about it. They've probably rented a virtual office in the UK, anyone can do it then register a business to it.Best thing to do when buying is to look at their original registered business address, it usually is in china. You can find this at the bottom of the listing or if using ebay app then go into their user name then scroll down to the legal information part.

For future reference, if you've bought something from a seller stating they're UK based when they're actually in China for example - if you open up a dispute for not as described and the return address is not in the UK Ebay will automatically refund you without you having to return the original item just as post two suggests.

freakstyler

For future reference, if you've bought something from a seller stating … For future reference, if you've bought something from a seller stating they're UK based when they're actually in China for example - if you open up a dispute for not as described and the return address is not in the UK Ebay will automatically refund you without you having to return the original item just as post two suggests.

Thanks ... good to know, happened to me twice now said based in Birmingham !!

bobo53

normally,the good one, do genuinely send from UK. Some do not

​Interesting.

Any 'UK' seller with 2 week estimated delivery times is outside UK. Just buy, knowing it will take weeks then claim never arrived. They never send recorded delivery. I know it's fraud but they started first (so childish!) and hopefully if everyone starts doing this they'll get the idea not to list on eBay as a UK seller

Write to the chinese embassy in London, they are sensitive to the reputation damage caused by such sellers.

Just cancel the order. eBay won't do anything while it's earning them money. But I'm sure the run a report each month on cancelled orders.

japes

Any 'UK' seller with 2 week estimated delivery times is outside UK. Just … Any 'UK' seller with 2 week estimated delivery times is outside UK. Just buy, knowing it will take weeks then claim never arrived. They never send recorded delivery. I know it's fraud but they started first (so childish!) and hopefully if everyone starts doing this they'll get the idea not to list on eBay as a UK seller

Personally I don't buy much from Ebay, over hyped sub standard goods BUT if this was happening to me, then I would do as above. I know morally it is not right but the British people are being scammed by these sellers. They send cheap knock off's or damaged goods. We should all buy from them and if it takes 2-3 weeks and the label states China, claim it did not arrive and open a claim. Hopefully these Companies will get the message and stop trying to rip us off.
Edited by: "Deleteaccount" 10th Mar

You should start a petition Seems to be the answer for everything these days oO

japes

Any 'UK' seller with 2 week estimated delivery times is outside UK. Just … Any 'UK' seller with 2 week estimated delivery times is outside UK. Just buy, knowing it will take weeks then claim never arrived. They never send recorded delivery. I know it's fraud but they started first (so childish!) and hopefully if everyone starts doing this they'll get the idea not to list on eBay as a UK seller

Claiming they are in the UK when they are not would not be classed as fraud.

However, by you saying you have not received an item when you really have could be classed as criminal fraud... Something to think about.

Alot of the chinese sellers use drop-shipping which means they first send all the stock to the uk and the dropshipper sends out the orders (stock is UK based) The seller is still responsible for replies to emails and any problems etc.
Only when you view sellers details you see seller is actually based in China.
I realise thats not what happened here but you do come across this alot now

ipswich78

Claiming they are in the UK when they are not would not be classed as … Claiming they are in the UK when they are not would not be classed as fraud.However, by you saying you have not received an item when you really have could be classed as criminal fraud... Something to think about.

​deliberately misleading a customer is fraud and yes, as I did originally state falsely claiming it hasn't arrived is criminal fraud.....thanks for reiterating my statement

You could also leave a note in the feedback, gives other potential buyers the heads up of the sellers true location.

japes

​deliberately misleading a customer is fraud and yes, as I did originally … ​deliberately misleading a customer is fraud and yes, as I did originally state falsely claiming it hasn't arrived is criminal fraud.....thanks for reiterating my statement

I didn't reiterate. I clarified a point which you clearly didn't understand the implications of. Fraud and criminal fraud are different, but of course you knew that already... (_;)
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. The ultimate Sunday roast only £5.46 for 4 people at ASDA21128
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769544
    3. Exploding Paw Patrol foam soap Leaves child in ICU11
    4. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3065

See more discussions