How to revamp this kitchen?

Posted 19th Jul 2020
We’re struggling at how to revamp our kitchen without completely replacing it (which we cannot afford right now)

We’re happy with the white doors and will be replacing the handles but really dislike the mahogany effect on the worktop and that surrounds our cupboards.

We are getting some quotes for a new worktop but will still be left with the mahogany surrounding the cupboards and the kick boards.

Anyone got any ideas? It’s a very shiny surface so think paint is out of the question and we bought some of that vinyl cover but it’s just so fiddly to use.

Any tips other than investing in a new kitchen??

3508639.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
41432698-UCGDc.jpg
That’s the finished result!
41435770-omEkB.jpg

41435770-89omz.jpg
When I bought my house had this green kitchen in I can’t afford the kitchen I want for a couple of years so I did mine in the black and white for about £100 using the DCFIX vinyls did this about 8 months ago still looks as good as the day I did it
20 Comments
If the cabinets/doors are sound, you could just get the worktop replaced.
amazon.co.uk/SOL…Q== Try something like this for the surrounds. I looked at something similar a while ago. Read reviews and make sure it does what you want...
Have a look on eBay and go ‘distance’ with the sort by function. Maybe someone has an old kitchen that’ll be perfect for you
How about sanding it down to take the shine / finish / polish off and then paint it or stain a different colour?
I just revamped my kitchen on the cheap....I used d-fix vinyl roll for my counter tops and I used cabinet and wardrobe paint from b+q £17 a tin which works wonders...I prepped my cupboards and surrounding frame by washing them all down with sugar soap first as this helps when the 1st coat of paint is applied as the paint can then stick to it as I had quite shiny cupboards to paint on...I used an extra small roller to apply the paint with(y)
41432698-UCGDc.jpg
That’s the finished result!
It literally looks brand new, I’d leave it and put your money elsewhere.
Mich8ll819/07/2020 15:28

I just revamped my kitchen on the cheap....I used d-fix vinyl roll for my …I just revamped my kitchen on the cheap....I used d-fix vinyl roll for my counter tops and I used cabinet and wardrobe paint from b+q £17 a tin which works wonders...I prepped my cupboards and surrounding frame by washing them all down with sugar soap first as this helps when the 1st coat of paint is applied as the paint can then stick to it as I had quite shiny cupboards to paint on...I used an extra small roller to apply the paint with(y)

Surely the vinyl on counter tops would easily scratch with use, doesn’t seem like a long term solution (fair enough on the door and drawer front etc)?
mds125619/07/2020 18:36

Surely the vinyl on counter tops would easily scratch with use, doesn’t s …Surely the vinyl on counter tops would easily scratch with use, doesn’t seem like a long term solution (fair enough on the door and drawer front etc)?

Aslong as the vinyl is looked after on counter tops...it will tend to last for a good while...I have glass chopping boards on my counters which are used to prevent scratches on counter tops.
41435770-omEkB.jpg

41435770-89omz.jpg
When I bought my house had this green kitchen in I can’t afford the kitchen I want for a couple of years so I did mine in the black and white for about £100 using the DCFIX vinyls did this about 8 months ago still looks as good as the day I did it
kirstie280619/07/2020 22:45

[Image] [Image] When I bought my house had this green kitchen in I can’t a …[Image] [Image] When I bought my house had this green kitchen in I can’t afford the kitchen I want for a couple of years so I did mine in the black and white for about £100 using the DCFIX vinyls did this about 8 months ago still looks as good as the day I did it

Looks great, what a difference:)

Was it hard to do?
Yeah imo that kitchen looks great. I think the only things that could be worth replacing are the door handles
rogan179119/07/2020 23:30

Looks great, what a difference:)Was it hard to do?

No really easy I bought the dcfix tool for £2.99 it ensures no bubbles. So hopefully will do me until I get my new kitchen. Also very easy to wipe clean 🧽
Thanks so much everyone for their comments, very much appreciate it!

We tried the DC Fix but had to give it found it really fiddly. Actually just found a company that’s quite local to us who will come out and revamp your kitchen with a range of different vinyl colours and textures, going to get them in for a quote.

Other than that perhaps we just live with it for a while, change the handles and when we can afford get a new kitchen - I know people say it looks nice and so do friends when they visit but it just really doesn’t match the rest of our home.

[Image] [Image] When I bought my house had this green kitchen in I can’t a …[Image] [Image] When I bought my house had this green kitchen in I can’t afford the kitchen I want for a couple of years so I did mine in the black and white for about £100 using the DCFIX vinyls did this about 8 months ago still looks as good as the day I did it

I like what you did with the cupboard but prefer the previous floor
sydney222/07/2020 12:22

I like what you did with the cupboard but prefer the previous floor

Haha the old one was easier to keep clean!

Hi, your kitchen revamp looks really good! Can I ask - how did you deal with the grooves in the (green) doors? The revamped white finished doors look smooth. Thanks
sjs3122/07/2020 23:57

Hi, your kitchen revamp looks really good! Can I ask - how did you deal …Hi, your kitchen revamp looks really good! Can I ask - how did you deal with the grooves in the (green) doors? The revamped white finished doors look smooth. Thanks

Just pulled the dcfix tight across the doors x
kirstie280623/07/2020 09:35

Just pulled the dcfix tight across the doors x

Thanks for that. I wondered if you'd done some filling-in etc.. We're thinking of a similar approach to revamping the kitchen units
sjs3123/07/2020 09:55

Thanks for that. I wondered if you'd done some filling-in etc.. …Thanks for that. I wondered if you'd done some filling-in etc.. We're thinking of a similar approach to revamping the kitchen units

No need to it covered ok. I did find it easier to take each door off cover then put back on that way can get to all sides easier
Post a comment
@
    Text