How to save on ebay fees for private seller?

Posted 13th JanEdited by:"ab713"
Hi,

I am very new to selling stuff online. I placed my first advert to sell and I found a buyer who is interested to buy it.

Looks like ebay charges flat 10% fees and if the buyer pays by paypal, it charges additional 2.5%.

Anyone who is experienced over here know any tips to save on fees?

Will it be appropriate to ask the buyer if he would like to pay directly via paypal instead of ebay? On paypal there are two option: 1. Pay to friends and family 2. Pay for products and services.

With option 2 both the buyer and seller gets protection...can i simply ask the buyer to use option 2 of paypal? Anyone knows whats the fees if I use option 2 of paypal?
Community Updates
Ask
22 Comments
the buyer will always pay via ebay for protection,even more so by the fact you are a new seller,your best selling when they have their £1 max selling fees promotion.
Your best bet to save on fee is wait to list things on a £1 listing weekend, where, as long as your item sells within 30 days all you pay is £1.

That is the only real way to save money. Messing about with PayPal and circumventing protections etc only causes you more grief down the road.

Failing that, sell on gumtree, cash only and pay no fees at all.
As mentioned above the £1 fee promotions are your best bet to stay above board, asking potential buyers on eBay to pay directly to PayPal is against eBay terms, if they see you doing this you will get a number of warnings until account suspension.

You could use alternative services such as gumtree or Shpock where there is no fees on sales, as it works more like classifieds.
Every other week there is a £1 max fee for selling.
jamstaruk197213/01/2020 23:53

the buyer will always pay via ebay for protection,even more so by the fact …the buyer will always pay via ebay for protection,even more so by the fact you are a new seller,your best selling when they have their £1 max selling fees promotion.

But PayPal also gives protection isn't it? On the PayPal login screen it asks do you want to pay to a friend or pay for goods and services.....it says buyers protection on PayPal as well....what might stop the buyer from using PayPal?

See this screenshot

39670089-IjeV6.jpg
Willy_Wonka14/01/2020 00:09

Every other week there is a £1 max fee for selling.

Are you sure its every other week? I could just tell the buyer to wait if you know the trend for it...
ab71314/01/2020 00:10

But PayPal also gives protection isn't it? On the PayPal login screen it …But PayPal also gives protection isn't it? On the PayPal login screen it asks do you want to pay to a friend or pay for goods and services.....it says buyers protection on PayPal as well....what might stop the buyer from using PayPal? See this screenshot[Image]

It says "may be eligible". In any case, as a buyer, I wouldn't buy from anyone asking me to pay via PayPal outside eBay.
Dylan_Smith13514/01/2020 00:11

Comment deleted

Oh that's a good tip. Do you use eBay chat to inform? What happens if the buyers puts a review that its a good product and then will they not question how can it be returned when buyer is happy?
ab71314/01/2020 00:12

Are you sure its every other week? I could just tell the buyer to wait if …Are you sure its every other week? I could just tell the buyer to wait if you know the trend for it...

You would have to relist your item when Ebay offer £1 fee max & then inform the buyer
Ashe14/01/2020 00:13

It says "may be eligible". In any case, as a buyer, I wouldn't buy from …It says "may be eligible". In any case, as a buyer, I wouldn't buy from anyone asking me to pay via PayPal outside eBay.

Am I correct in thinking that eBay will charge me 10% plus PayPal payment fees?

Is there anyway I can change my ebay advert to allow only bank payment and no PayPal?
ab71314/01/2020 00:14

Oh that's a good tip. Do you use eBay chat to inform? What happens if the …Oh that's a good tip. Do you use eBay chat to inform? What happens if the buyers puts a review that its a good product and then will they not question how can it be returned when buyer is happy?

Errr. Not sure about that suggestion. If you tell eBay it was returned to you, I'd expect eBay to refund the buyer on your behalf as well as your fees...
Willy_Wonka14/01/2020 00:15

You would have to relist your item when Ebay offer £1 fee max & then …You would have to relist your item when Ebay offer £1 fee max & then inform the buyer

Yeah I can do that. Do you know when will the next £1 selling fees promotion take place?
ab71314/01/2020 00:17

Yeah I can do that. Do you know when will the next £1 selling fees …Yeah I can do that. Do you know when will the next £1 selling fees promotion take place?

No I don't. They send emails out on a friday & saturday when they are doing the offer for the weekend. Usually Monday is included. That is when you relist.
ab71314/01/2020 00:14

Oh that's a good tip. Do you use eBay chat to inform? What happens if … Oh that's a good tip. Do you use eBay chat to inform? What happens if the buyers puts a review that its a good product and then will they not question how can it be returned when buyer is happy?

Call them
39670234-KZ4h0.jpg

Are you sure its every other week? I could just tell the buyer to wait if …Are you sure its every other week? I could just tell the buyer to wait if you know the trend for it...

It's not as certain as being every other week. The offer does come up very frequently, but often not for everyone and it might be a month or more until there's a promotion that you're able to take advantage of.

Although PayPal does offer its own form of buyer (and seller) protection, it's weaker than that from eBay and you absolutely should not suggest to the buyer that they make payment outside of eBay. As others have mentioned, this directly contravenes eBay policies (so could lead to a ban or other measures) and is also the sort of thing that a scammer might suggest, so could make your buyer suspicious of your motives.
ab71314/01/2020 00:16

Am I correct in thinking that eBay will charge me 10% plus PayPal payment …Am I correct in thinking that eBay will charge me 10% plus PayPal payment fees?Is there anyway I can change my ebay advert to allow only bank payment and no PayPal?

ebay.co.uk/help/buying/paying-items/paying-paypal?id=4033

You have to offer payment via PayPal or credit/debit card. You can optionally offer other means of payment, but you can't mandate their use.

As a general comment, I would strongly recommend that if you're selling on eBay, don't try to avoid their fees other than via promotions offered directly by eBay. They're very much aware of potential avoidance mechanisms and are likely to treat you harshly if identified. Either accept their fees or sell elsewhere.
Edited by: "Illusionary" 14th Jan
Unless you are in a hurry to sell, wait for eBay's £1 final value fee offer. You won't miss it, it will be the hottest deal on HUKD that day . Accept the offer within your eBay account first, then list the item; only listings made within the offer period count (also, set a reminder for day 29 after the listing to cancel anything unsold as eBay now allows only a perpetual listing for Fixed Price listings, but the FVF offer ends on day 30). Better to use PayPal if you want to attract buyers. When sold, use a shipping method that allows tracking / proof of delivery, especially if it is a high value item. Assuming everything goes well, your costs will be £1 to eBay (taken from your account the following month) + Paypal fees which are 30p + 3.5% of the payment.
If you contact a buyer and ask if they will pay outside of eBay you will get a warning and possibly be banned from ebay.

If I'd bought something and then been told to wait a week for you to relist it, I'd cancel.
rogan179114/01/2020 15:02

If I'd bought something and then been told to wait a week for you to …If I'd bought something and then been told to wait a week for you to relist it, I'd cancel.

...and probably while leaving negative feedback.
If items are collection only I always pay cash and tell the seller to cancel the transaction this saves them the fees other than any listing fee. 9/10 times its usually something to add to my hoard of car spares and its often got me something thrown in for a bonus,
You HAVE to offer Paypal as an option to list on eBay, they insist on it. Also, most people will use it to pay for things even if you only offer cash on collection. Also, you can't use Paypal outside of Ebay so you can't avoid the fees and use the f&f option
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions