Groups

How to sell my item safely so i dont get conned?

Hi

I listed an item on eBay. I was made an offer, I made a counter offer with some terms. The term were a price + postage an package costs.

The person has accepted this.

How shall I take payment from them? The item is quite expensive at £500 and I will be using UPS to send it. I'm not sure how to take payment from them. If I do PayPal I am worried that they may say they've received a box of bricks or something - I have heard of this happen in the past.

Please help.

12 Comments

Original Poster

All i can think of at the moment is:

Ask for fuel costs an deliver my self and then cash on delivery. - And take a friend with me.

Any suggestions?

WestMidlands

All i can think of at the moment is:Ask for fuel costs an deliver my self … All i can think of at the moment is:Ask for fuel costs an deliver my self and then cash on delivery. - And take a friend with me.Any suggestions?

That would work, Other then that take some more pictures of the item, then take some while packing and some when packed. Take note of any serial numbers weigh packed parcel, make sure you send fully tracked and with adequate insurance etc.
    Edited by: "Argoj" 15th Sep 2016

What's their feedback like? is it recent? is it for very cheap items?

personally I'd prefer royal mail as they will weigh it with you and record the weight and as long as it somewhere near matches you will be fine.

due to the amount is doubt they'd want you and a friend firming up to collect can.

if you are not comfortable then don't do it.

I wouldn't do this if I was the buyer but could you do half paypal and half bank transfer?

WestMidlands

All i can think of at the moment is:Ask for fuel costs an deliver my self … All i can think of at the moment is:Ask for fuel costs an deliver my self and then cash on delivery. - And take a friend with me.Any suggestions?

Seriously? Who in their right mind is going to pay you for fuel costs?

Also, if you are worried that you will be scammed by selling on eBay then why are you selling on eBay?

Whats their feedback like? How many items have they bought or sold? That should give some indication of how likely you are to be scammed.

I wouldn't deliver it yourself unless you can show ebay/paypal proof of delivery.

Also mark the item with uv ink so you know if it's returned faulty whether they have switched it with their own faulty item.

I wonder if there is a service where you could send it to a local post office and have them collect it and pay for it as they pick it up.

Send it via Royal Mail special delivery insured up to £500, they will get the package by 1pm the next day signed for. I've sold items on eBay more than £500 and never had a problem.

WestMidlands

All i can think of at the moment is:Ask for fuel costs an deliver my … All i can think of at the moment is:Ask for fuel costs an deliver my self and then cash on delivery. - And take a friend with me.Any suggestions?

RossD89

[quote=WestMidlands] All i can think of at the moment is:Ask for fuel … [quote=WestMidlands] All i can think of at the moment is:Ask for fuel costs an deliver my self and then cash on delivery. - And take a friend with me.Any suggestions?

This... You should think of all these things BEFORE you list an item. Look at it from the otherside. You're concerned about being conned however you've stated a buy it now price including P&P. If you start changing your terms who's going to look like the dodgy one?

ipswich78

This... You should think of all these things BEFORE you list an item. … This... You should think of all these things BEFORE you list an item. Look at it from the otherside. You're concerned about being conned however you've stated a buy it now price including P&P. If you start changing your terms who's going to look like the dodgy one?

From the buyer's perspective, I'd think it looks dodgy too. I buy something on eBay in a completely ordinary way, and all of the sudden the seller says he wants to hand-deliver it to my house with his mates, and wants me to pay cash and an extra fee for his time? I'd be worried he wants to rob me or something, or at the very least give me a dodgy item, intimidate me into not checking it, and then disappearing with cash.

The majority of buyers and sellers on eBay are honest and just want a smooth deal. Yes there are some bad apples, as there are everywhere, that ruin it for others. But if you're really that concerned about the risk that you're not willing to deal in the regular way, then I'd reconsider using the system. It goes both ways.

If I was buying I would pay by paypal or cash on collection only, there is no way I would do half by bank transfer. As a buyer on eBay they CAN pay the full amount via PayPal.
    For expensive items I only list as cash on collection but have sent items at £400 without issues in the past.
    If you get a signature you will be fine I never received an item before and because the courier said " delivered to a safe place" I lost my claim.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Decent hoover66
      2. Hard drive 'died'(?), what can I do? (for computer wizards please!)46
      3. Job Centre sending text to confirm appointment66
      4. Iptv814

See more discussions