How to set up VPN properly

Found 4th Jun 2017
Hi All,

Anyone mind to guide me how to set up my VPN sub correctly?

I'm using it on Plusnet and Ivacy VPN

Plusnet Hub One
Everything on default but Port Clamping is ON
Router IP set to 192.168.1.254
DHCP range is 192.168.1.64 - 192.168.1.253

TP-LINK TL-WR940N
There is no fully functional DD-WRT FW for this router so it is a no go.
Router IP set to 192.168.1.1
DHCP ON but the range is 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.63
WAN Connection is PPTP
Ivacy VPN username and pass have been set correctly
Server IP/Address: ukm1.dns2use.com
Connection: On Demand

After I set all of this and connect Plusnet HUB LAN PORT1 to TP-LINK WAN Port, seems everything is working fine. Ivacy support confirmed I'm connected to their servers via PPPT. But if I check what is my IP it is still showing my area in London instead of Maidenhead where the server should be.

What am I doing wrong? On the other hand, I've read about it somewhere it is recommended to set the DNS to Google's DNS servers instead of the ISP's own but I can not find anywhere in my Plusnet routers settings where to set it. Or set it in the TP-LINK?

Cheers,

Community Updates
Ask
5 Comments
hi there , unsure if this will help but did in my case. instead of using pptp use L2TP. It will be slower connection compared to PPTP but it's more secure. This worked for me . Hope it helps .
As above use L2TP (OpenVPN even better but your router doesn't support it) it seems your leaking your DNS server which can point to your location. Is there not a setting on the VPN page to use the VPN DNS exclusively? If there isn't ask the VPN provider for their own secure DNS and follow:

http://m.setuprouter.com/router/tp-link/tl-wr940n/dns.htm

Once setup use ipleak.net and Google for a dnsleak test to check, anything pointing back to your IP will mean your still leaking, I don't know the router I'm afraid I stand by the asus range.

Ps Google and open dns log your history so beware using them as a dns server, try to use the ones provided with the vpn service.
Edited by: "stoneblade" 5th Jun 2017
Sorry, I can't really help with your specific query. I just setup a VPN but used a GLI openvpn router which was 20 odd quid on amazon. Literally plugged it in, uploaded the config file from my VPN client and that was it done. Works a treat too.
Rusty82

Sorry, I can't really help with your specific query. I just setup a VPN … Sorry, I can't really help with your specific query. I just setup a VPN but used a GLI openvpn router which was 20 odd quid on amazon. Literally plugged it in, uploaded the config file from my VPN client and that was it done. Works a treat too.

what speed you getting on this router?
wakkaday

what speed you getting on this router?

​Well, it very much depends on what servers I connect to with my VPN client but I would say between 15 and 20% of my normal speeds on BT home hub. Which for me equates to about 10mb/s on average going through this router.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants