How to softmod your XBOX in just 10 minutes + A few more to FTP XBMC over.

35 replies
Found 3rd Aug 2008
Hello there, I have decided to re-write this guide in a more simple way but more in depth than my previous guide.

To softmod your XBOX, you will need the following:-

An XBOX
A Copy of Splinter Cell(Original) (Not Double Agent or Chaos Theory etc)
Kryzies NDURE Splinter Cell Files (myfreefilehosting.com/f/8…8MB - will take link down if not allowed)
An XBOX to USB cable (Either make or borrow/rent one)
Pendrive Compatible with XBOX (Most)
Xplorer360 Software (myfreefilehosting.com/f/7…2MB )
XBMC files (http://ftp.endpoint.nu/pub/repository/t3ch/STABLE/XBMC-2.0.1-FINAL-SLIM-T3CH/XBMC-2.0.1-FINAL-SLIM-T3CH.rar)
FlashFXP(download.com/Fla…tml?part=dl-10037696&subj=dl&tag=button)

Once you have all the stuff ready we are ready to go.

First off we need to format the pendrive to FATX which is a file system the XBOX can recognise. To do this insert your XBOX to USB adaptor into the XBOX. Then insert your pendrive into the XBOX to USB adaptor. Go to the Memory section on the XBOX dash. It will come up with something similar to this ' Disk Read Error all data erased' then the pendrive has succesfully been formatted to FATX. If you get something like 'Disk Inserted is damaged' then your XBOX is not compatible with that specific pendrive. Try another. Once you have formatted the pendrive to FATX continue onto the next step.

We now need to get the files onto the pendrive while in windows. Insert your pendrive into the computer and do not format it, do not try and open it from My Computer. Ignore Autoplay . Start the Xplorer360 app.
Go to 'Drive' then 'Open' then 'Hardrive or MemCard', it should find your USB FATX formatted pendrive.
Then double click on Partion 0 then in the big space to the right of it drag the folders
'5553000c' and '21585554' to that big blank space.
To get the folders you will you need to extract the softmod rar file.
Once done you may remove the pendrive from your PC.
Insert into your XBOX and go to 'Memory' and it should find some splinter cell saves, copy all these to the HDD by selecting the file ( hover over the whole actual save bit and press right and press COPY and it should copy the gamesave to the HDD, do this for each one.

Once done turn off the XBOX and insert the Splinter Cell disk.
Once your through to the main menu press 'Start Game' and it should pass you through to a profile selection menu, select 'LINUX', you will then have a screen with 'Checkpoints and Levels on. Press on the Checkpoint tab by pressing A and you should get a black screen for a bit and then a menu will appear - i tlooks like the UNLEASHX/ is a live CD kinda of. Firstly Backup the EEPROM by pressing that option. Then go back to the main menu and do Basic Install. It should ask which dashboard you want. I chose UnleashX. From that moment on it will guide you through it.
At one point it will turn xbox off/ ask you to turn the xbox off. Do it. Then turn it back on.
You will be brought back into the installer and it will continue and then eventually say 'Softmad Succesfully Installed ' or similar.
Turn the XBOX off an on again ann huzzzaaaa you XBOX is softmodded!

Now you are probably wanting to use XBMC. Well, you need to get your XBOX on the internet, easiest way it to connect a straight ethernet cable to your XBOX from your router.
Once done restart XBOX/ turn on and it should find the IP, go to the settings part of the menu, MISC, then Start FTP.

Leave your XBOX alone and go to your PC, I reccomend using FlashFXP as it is much much better than the integrated FTP app for windows. type in the IP address that came up on your XBOX in the corner on the right of the screen, and use the username and password 'xbox' .
Once connected, copy the XBMC folder over to E:APPS .............. once it has been sent, go back to your XBOX and go to Apps. If it is not there, go to 'File Explorer' and then 'E:' and then' Apps' and then XBMC and then press A on 'default.xbe it should load in a few seconds.

Huzzah you are in XBMC, to make XBMC your default dash at startup follow this guide.

xbmc.org/for…tml

The XBE shorcut maker app can be found here

http://dwl.xbox-scene.com/~xbox/xbox-scene/tools/utils/09.17.05.Xbe.Shortcut.Maker.1.0.rar

Thanks for reading.

Discalaimer:

I am not responsible if you f*ck up your XBOX trying to do this softmod.
I am not the owner of the links.

Tim

XBMC is a available from t3ch.yi.se/
There is a updated build every two weeks

- guerilla

35 Comments

dont suppose you could lend us everything i'd need to do it could you? deposit will be in order if so

Original Poster

Possibly, tho I'm thinking about making a more direct kit, as my own own one is a cable connect to a USB hub.

More than likely yeah.

Original Poster

I did that with my old XBOX I used to have but it took me more like 1 1/2 days to do it lol.

timothyw9;2661249

I did that with my old XBOX I used to have but it took me more like 1 1/2 … I did that with my old XBOX I used to have but it took me more like 1 1/2 days to do it lol.

Took me ages too, I just couldn't get the thing to lock

I sent that memory card and USB stick off today by the way

Original Poster

Yeh I had problems getting it to lock too, I eneded up using tons of CD's lol.

timothyw9;2661260

Yeh I had problems getting it to lock too, I eneded up using tons of CD's … Yeh I had problems getting it to lock too, I eneded up using tons of CD's lol.

I ended up putting an old floppy drive in my PC in the end and using that, it worked a treat

I should have just put a modchip in it, it's a lot easier to add a new harrive that way

I don't know if you have heard of a programme called monkey or ape or something like that, ring any bells?

Basically you run that as an app on your media centre and it allows you to unplug the IDE cable from your disk drive (it turns off the power to it but keeps the xbox on) so you can add another Hard Drive, it then clones the original HD to your new bigger one

you say:

"Sofmod Files for splinter cell - google it."

and

"Then stick in Splinter Cell, press start game, select linux press A on checkpoints and the sotmod installer should start, backuo the EEPROM first then Select Basic Install once EEPROM thing is done. After a few minutes your XBox will nearly be softmodded."

The problem is there are lots of different softmod autoinstallers, different revisions of each; some using pbl, others ndure. If you want people to be able to follow your guide you need to at least give them the name of the exploit installer you used.

Changing the HD is incredibly simple now, xboxhdm makes it a case of pressing a few buttons.

never used an xbox before (sony fan boy?) how do i transfrer the files from the pen drive to the hard drive ?

Deleted User Name 3;2662559

you say:"Sofmod Files for splinter cell - google it."and"Then stick in … you say:"Sofmod Files for splinter cell - google it."and"Then stick in Splinter Cell, press start game, select linux press A on checkpoints and the sotmod installer should start, backuo the EEPROM first then Select Basic Install once EEPROM thing is done. After a few minutes your XBox will nearly be softmodded."The problem is there are lots of different softmod autoinstallers, different revisions of each; some using pbl, others ndure. If you want people to be able to follow your guide you need to at least give them the name of the exploit installer you used.Changing the HD is incredibly simple now, xboxhdm makes it a case of pressing a few buttons.

Agreed. I wouldn't recommend a guide which completely smudges over the most important part: the selection of software, and exact options to choose.

Original Poster

Okay sorry didn't think about putting the software names.

Anyway I would reccomend using 'Karyzie's Ndure Splinter Cell Gamesave Softmod' google it.

Anyone know where to pick up a cheap ish Action Replay/Xploder thing? I have chosen to follow that route as it seems the most simple way.

russ;2666088

Anyone know where to pick up a cheap ish Action Replay/Xploder thing? I … Anyone know where to pick up a cheap ish Action Replay/Xploder thing? I have chosen to follow that route as it seems the most simple way.

Ask to borrow someone elses a pay postage, thats what im doing?

Original Poster

Updated.

timothyw9;2666498

Updated.

Not bad, you could add a little update though for FTP'ing XBMC onto the Xbox as I think that's what most people will use it for

Maybe a little disclaimer for yourself to, after all you never know with the internet

Original Poster

XBMC installation added.

Hehe it doesn't censor it if its the OP lol.

timothyw9;2666627

XBMC installation added.Hehe it doesn't censor it if its the OP lol.

lol just noticed that, you should really change it though!

That's a good guide anyway, I think it covers everything major

Good guide!

i added the best place to get the xbmc files from, i think its the most frequently updated source for xbmc builds.
hope you dont mind.

http://www.stegen.com/images/xbox-usb_cable.jpg

That's the USB cable you're gonna be after if you choose to use a pendrive rather than a memory card. :thumbsup:

Nice guide mate.

Jelly;2670751

That's the USB cable you're gonna be after if you choose to use a … That's the USB cable you're gonna be after if you choose to use a pendrive rather than a memory card. :thumbsup:Nice guide mate.

Could you also use this for external hard drives as well :?

can someone help me? I have successfully softmod my xbox, unfortunately when I was installing the XMBC I accidentally deleted some files while on XMP, when I rebooted, my unleashed X was gone including the MS dashboard and it was replaced by evolution x dashboard version 3935 with only 2 selections:launch disc and system settings. I tried to re-softmods but there's no MS dashboard. I also tried everything(tutorial I've got from diff. forums) including hotswap, slayers auto installer, but nothing seems to be happening. If our helpful members had experience like this and has a solution can you share it here. Your message is highly appreciated.

capt.debigol;2732571

can someone help me? I have successfully softmod my xbox, unfortunately … can someone help me? I have successfully softmod my xbox, unfortunately when I was installing the XMBC I accidentally deleted some files while on XMP, when I rebooted, my unleashed X was gone including the MS dashboard and it was replaced by evolution x dashboard version 3935 with only 2 selections:launch disc and system settings. I tried to re-softmods but there's no MS dashboard. I also tried everything(tutorial I've got from diff. forums) including hotswap, slayers auto installer, but nothing seems to be happening. If our helpful members had experience like this and has a solution can you share it here. Your message is highly appreciated.

Try burning an ISO with Auto Installer Deluxe

That or if you have a game like Halo 2 you can use that to do a dashboard update which will restore your dash back to the standard MS Dashboard also did you back up your eeprom before doing anything?

RedIron;2732650

Try burning an ISO with Auto Installer DeluxeThat or if you have a game … Try burning an ISO with Auto Installer DeluxeThat or if you have a game like Halo 2 you can use that to do a dashboard update which will restore your dash back to the standard MS Dashboard also did you back up your eeprom before doing anything?

Thank you very much RedIron for your quick reply.yes, I did back up my eeprom. but I don't know what I have deleted(If I deleted my backup or something else). If I have my back up eeprom, where should I go?could you please show me what to do. I will try to look for Auto Installer Deluxe in the internet and Halo 2 from the shops and I will update you as soon as I can.

capt.debigol;2734521

Thank you very much RedIron for your quick reply.yes, I did back up my … Thank you very much RedIron for your quick reply.yes, I did back up my eeprom. but I don't know what I have deleted(If I deleted my backup or something else). If I have my back up eeprom, where should I go?could you please show me what to do. I will try to look for Auto Installer Deluxe in the internet and Halo 2 from the shops and I will update you as soon as I can.

Your eeprom is just there to back you up in case you can't fix it another way

Basically if Auto Installer Deluxe fails and you can't get hold of Halo 2 you can create a new Hard Drive for your xbox using a downloadable C and E drive for the Xbox, you use your own eeprom as the eeprom is locked to the motherboard and then use that to lock the Hard drive.

It sounds confusing, thats because it is, but if you need to go down that route i'll guide you through it step by step.

I don't always check this thread so if you post on here send me a PM too and as soon as im next on ill check it :thumbsup:

Don't worry mate we'll fix your Xbox

I wouldn't even bother messing about with any other way, I would just create a xboxhdm disc with stock C/ and E/ drives, use it to sort your hd out and then lock it with your eeprom.

You seem to still have ftp access so you could ftp the stock C/ drive over instead.

Do you have your eeprom backed up? (I mean properly backed up - copied over to your PC; that's the first thing you should do when softmodding - it's not much of a backup if it's left on your xbox). If not then the first thing you need to do is to make another backup of it and store it on your pc.

I have 2 Xboxes. I messed up. recieved error number 07(HD timeout) and the other one error number 14(found out problem regarding Dashboard). My dear HUKD co-members,I desperately need your help?

Deleted User Name 3;2735458

I wouldn't even bother messing about with any other way, I would just … I wouldn't even bother messing about with any other way, I would just create a xboxhdm disc with stock C/ and E/ drives, use it to sort your hd out and then lock it with your eeprom.You seem to still have ftp access so you could ftp the stock C/ drive over instead.Do you have your eeprom backed up? (I mean properly backed up - copied over to your PC; that's the first thing you should do when softmodding - it's not much of a backup if it's left on your xbox). If not then the first thing you need to do is to make another backup of it and store it on your pc.

How do you copy over the eeprom to the pc? thanks

find where the file is on you xbox and then ftp it over to your computer

guerilla;2744793

find where the file is on you xbox and then ftp it over to your computer

Cheers ill have a go,though i still cant use my xbox ive been waiting for a controller i ordered off ebay for 2 weeks

fix;2744842

Cheers ill have a go,though i still cant use my xbox ive been waiting for … Cheers ill have a go,though i still cant use my xbox ive been waiting for a controller i ordered off ebay for 2 weeks

You have a cash converters near you? they are selling official pads for £1.99 - better than the £8 gamestation want for them.

capt.debigol;2743366

I have 2 Xboxes. I messed up. recieved error number 07(HD timeout) and … I have 2 Xboxes. I messed up. recieved error number 07(HD timeout) and the other one error number 14(found out problem regarding Dashboard). My dear HUKD co-members,I desperately need your help?

With error 07 heck your HD is plugged in, error 07 basically means you Xbox HD timed out which usually means it's not connected properly. Check the IDE and power connection n the back of the HD and the IDE connection on the MoBo

You should be able to fix error 14 with that Auto installer deluxe disc

Deleted User Name 3;2744880

You have a cash converters near you? they are selling official pads for … You have a cash converters near you? they are selling official pads for £1.99 - better than the £8 gamestation want for them.

I didnt know that!

I rang gamestation near me and they wanted £10 for a copy so i got an s type off ebay for £6 delivered,when it turns up!

I'll give cash converters a ring and see if theyve got any cheap thanks for the tip :-D

they wanted a tenner off me as well! i just bought another xbox

fix;2744990

I rang gamestation near me and they wanted £10 for a copy

LOL, the prices most places want for a pad is stupid, especially when you can buy a xbox with pad for £10 from game (depending on stock).

I think I have about 6 N64's now, as gamestation wanted £7 just for a pad, but at the local boot sale N64's usually sold for £2-£3 with a pad.

My local GS had a clearout after xmas - PSX, PS2, Xbox, Dreamcast, megadrive, pc pads in a big bin for £1 each - I got 2dc lightguns, 2 psx guncons, a psx2 gungcon2, 4 dc pads, 2 psx dualshocks, a third party ps2 wireless pad, a third party wireless xbox pad, an infra-red megadrive pad (just for collections sake - it would be useless to use :> ), two six button megadrive pads all for £16. also in the bin were the two biggest bargains of the month - a 4" TFT for the gamecube and a gamecube broadband adapter (usually sell for £25-£50) for £1 each.

I'm hoping they do it again next year, as I need some more psx pads to convert into arcade sticks (as they are currently selling the PS3 hori fighting stick 3 and xbox360 hori fighting stick ex2 for £10 each. not the best sticks in the world, but for the price they are good - and the 360 stick works fine in windows - nice cheap mame stick :> ).
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Swimming goggles for 3 year old21
    2. Parkopedia, can the info be trusted22
    3. What is gearbest like on warranty?78
    4. Whatsup number, confused33

See more discussions