How to solve no optical digital out in Nvidia Shield

Posted 13th Jul 2019
Hi
Are there any good options to solve the absence of optical digital in Nvidia Shield?

Would like to connect Shield to Samsung Home Cinema. One option suggested was a 'USB digital audio adapter' from Turtle Beach which is not available now.

HDMI audio splitter - does it degrade the HDMI signal ?

Any solutions from anyone? Thanks
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

7 Comments
did the 2015 version have optic
deleted1447778
You can use one of These

You can find lots of similar devices on Amazon that are cheaper, however the one above is the only one I've found that supports Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3)

DD+ is used by many streaming services, Netflix, Amazon for example, rips from streaming services will include DD+ audio

Theres a 2 Year Warranty on the Lindy
Edited by: "deleted1447778" 13th Jul 2019
deleted144777813/07/2019 12:47

You can use one of TheseYou can find lots of similar devices on Amazon …You can use one of TheseYou can find lots of similar devices on Amazon that are cheaper, however the one above is the only one I've found that supports Dolby Digital Plus (E-AC3)DD+ is used by many streaming services, Netflix, Amazon for example, rips from streaming services will include DD+ audioTheres a 2 Year Warranty on the Lindy

Thanks 4Real2016 ! Bought it on amazon and will give it a shot. Cheers
deleted1447778
I'd be interested on how you get on, I looked at countless models on Amazon looking for one that actually states it supports DD+

I don't need one right now but it's going to be a future purchase.
deleted144777813/07/2019 17:36

I'd be interested on how you get on, I looked at countless models on …I'd be interested on how you get on, I looked at countless models on Amazon looking for one that actually states it supports DD+I don't need one right now but it's going to be a future purchase.

I have now tested it. Bought two form amazon - Lindys and the generic one for a quarter of the price of the first.
The generic one passes the audio for Kodi and USB hard drives. But Amazon prime and Netflix are a fail.
The Lindys - works for Netflix and Amazon (converts it down to 5.1) but there's one catch. You have to manually adjust the tiny tiny dip switch at the back. When it works for Netflix, Kodi and USB are down as they need passthrough audio.
So good news but a real pain to keep adjusting it behind the system every time you change your mind !

Maybe a better idea to get hold of a proper reciever (if you are not happy with a sound bar). But the cheap alternative can be this one!
deleted1447778
I must be confused, passthrough audio on the lindy means your sending the audio straight to your TV, if the lindy is set to 5.1 audio it shouldn't matter what source it's from if it's set to output multichannel audio, it supports bitstreamed multichannel DD/DTS and LPCM.

Dip Switch 1 and 2 in the down position, 3 not used should work for all multichannel audio?

Only reason you should need to change the dip switch is if your Movies/TV have only 2 channel audio.
Edited by: "deleted1447778" 17th Jul 2019
Easier and cheaper to just buy a £25 amlogic android box for kodi and run coreelec/libreelec, optical out and will happily play 4k hevc 10bit hdr 80gb+ files with passthrough audio with ease for cheaper than these messy adaptors.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants