how to stop add on for games on android?

Found 16th Mar 2016
hi
I have an adroid phone and have set the phone up to ask for a password if I want to purchase something via apps. however I have noticed that there is a pay with ee account available and I know that my son managed to subscribe to some game subscription. I know that was done by him selecting and agreeing to t and c but it did not require any password.

any help would be greatly appreciated
Community Updates
12 Comments
Does your son know your password? Maybe change it anyway?
No he doesn't know the password. I know that as I'm always aware of him looking (_;)
but the issue is that there are option that allow you to add games etc without a password and as I'm on a contract phone it charges directly. surely they can't do that can they?
sumz01

but the issue is that there are option that allow you to add games etc … but the issue is that there are option that allow you to add games etc without a password and as I'm on a contract phone it charges directly. surely they can't do that can they?

Problem is, the contract is in your name and as an adult you can do what you like and EE (or any of the networks) won't stop you. It's your choice to give, what is almost, a blank cheque to a child.
Your best bet is to get your son his own phone on pay as you go, then you can regulate his spend. Once the top ups gone, that it. No more big bills...
Edited by: "steve1221" 16th Mar 2016
yeah I guess that or switch Internet off whilst he uses it.
it's totally mind boggling to know how one tap of a button with no password etc or even a confirmation box will automatically bill my account...I mean even I can make that mistake but clicking a button without reading it properly. oh well that's just the reality people need to make money. shame there is no way to not connect my ee account to it that's all.
Have you tried calling EE and tell them to turn of e-billing from the app store.

Also, go into your app store account and under payment or account in settings you should be able to remove payments you've setup, including the EE topup method.

Also, your son knows your password. Change it. I know you think he doesn't but he does. It's fairly easy to put a logger on an phone that logs everything you type.

Might be able to help you more if you can say what exactly he subscribed to.
I've tried calling ee they weren't very helpful, in fact the advisor said this was the first he heard of it. not sure if he fully understood what I was saying. I have removed my account linked to the app store but didn't know there ab option for ee too. I'll will give that a go.

as for what he did, somehow he subscribed to something whilst playing on a game. I got the following text

(FreeMsg) Welcome! Play games @ games.bounce.mobi. 24 hours free then £1.50/week until u send stop bmgames to 80206. Help 03301224968.

I managed to stop it but not sure where about he subscribed.
secondly I was just looking at one of his car games and noticed option where you can buy. there was an account option, which is fine as I have removed that. however, there was also an ee direct to account option. I had no idea that this was also available. I didny try it to see how far it goes but am very curious.

as for him knowing my password no chance, I know he's a sneaky **** and he's only turned 4 I use upper numbers etc and I've been watching him so I know he doesn't know this one. he's cought me out loads on the ipad unlocking it so I make him turn around oO
The below is from EE.

Can I choose not to charge apps to my bill?

Yes, when you set up your app store account you can select another method of payment and this will become the default method of payment you are shown for all future App purchases.

If you have already selected 'Mobile Network' as your preferred option you can log in to your app store account and change this in your settings. If you want to completely block this option from your app store you can have a content bar added to your mobile account by calling EE, Orange or T-Mobile.

Adding to this did you go into play store, hamburger button,settings then (it depends on android version) setup pin/authentication for all purchases (might be under user controls sub menu if you cant see it straight away). This is slightly different than the "device" setting as that is only for when buying an app etc rather than inapp stuff.
Warning though this will only work for apps through the play store not for amazon app store (you can do similar there also though) or anything which was sideloaded.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 17th Mar 2016
sumz01

I've tried calling ee they weren't very helpful, in fact the advisor … I've tried calling ee they weren't very helpful, in fact the advisor said this was the first he heard of it. not sure if he fully understood what I was saying. I have removed my account linked to the app store but didn't know there ab option for ee too. I'll will give that a go.as for what he did, somehow he subscribed to something whilst playing on a game. I got the following text (FreeMsg) Welcome! Play games @ http://games.bounce.mobi. 24 hours free then £1.50/week until u send stop bmgames to 80206. Help 03301224968.I managed to stop it but not sure where about he subscribed.secondly I was just looking at one of his car games and noticed option where you can buy. there was an account option, which is fine as I have removed that. however, there was also an ee direct to account option. I had no idea that this was also available. I didny try it to see how far it goes but am very curious. as for him knowing my password no chance, I know he's a sneaky **** and he's only turned 4 I use upper numbers etc and I've been watching him so I know he doesn't know this one. he's cought me out loads on the ipad unlocking it so I make him turn around oO

Right, it looks like that's not through the app store. That's premium text message billing, kinda like 0900 number used to be. Some app developers use it to get around password restrictions on kids games.

Send the stop bmgames message to the number they list and write it off as a lesson I say. Tell the kiddo not to reply to any text messages when playing games, you normally authorise by sending y or yes in a reply.

You might be able to call EE and get them to disable premium text message billing on your account to stop it in future. Depends who you get through to on their customer support line.
cecilmcroberts

The below is from EE.Can I choose not to charge apps to my bill?Yes, when … The below is from EE.Can I choose not to charge apps to my bill?Yes, when you set up your app store account you can select another method of payment and this will become the default method of payment you are shown for all future App purchases.If you have already selected 'Mobile Network' as your preferred option you can log in to your app store account and change this in your settings. If you want to completely block this option from your app store you can have a content bar added to your mobile account by calling EE, Orange or T-Mobile.Adding to this did you go into play store, hamburger button,settings then (it depends on android version) setup pin/authentication for all purchases (might be under user controls sub menu if you cant see it straight away). This is slightly different than the "device" setting as that is only for when buying an app etc rather than inapp stuff. Warning though this will only work for apps through the play store not for amazon app store (you can do similar there also though) or anything which was sideloaded.

​thanks I'll give it ago. I appreciate your help
shak

Right, it looks like that's not through the app store. That's premium … Right, it looks like that's not through the app store. That's premium text message billing, kinda like 0900 number used to be. Some app developers use it to get around password restrictions on kids games.Send the stop bmgames message to the number they list and write it off as a lesson I say. Tell the kiddo not to reply to any text messages when playing games, you normally authorise by sending y or yes in a reply.You might be able to call EE and get them to disable premium text message billing on your account to stop it in future. Depends who you get through to on their customer support line.

​yep I'll investigate again with ee and try and get the little one to read his books and play lego instead!

thank you so much
just an update ...turns out even though I replied stop I was still being charged 1.50 a week! this is really bad esp as it's comes from ee and just through an advertising whilst browsing the net. surely there is some data protection breach....anyway I've finally asked ee to block all 3rd parties.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions