How to stop brake squeel on hydraulic bike brakes?

Posted 28th Jun 2020
I recently fixed the front brake on a bike I bought used (carerra subway) by replacing the hose. The bike now has a working front brake but it's NOISY! It sounds as though I'm riding an angry elephant when I apply the brake and start to slow.

I did as suggested and cleaned the rotors and pads before I put them back on.

Any suggestions?
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Check your rotors for heavy wear, probably unlikely so wipe them down with a brake cleaner or isopropanol (ethanol) and let them dry, check the pads and rub down with sandpaper, or get a new set of pads,
some materials just howl
Edited by: "whatyadoinsucka" 28th Jun
Check the brake is set up correctly. is the rotor touching the caliper when the brake is on? Correct pads or cheapy?
Put some oil on the rotors, that should cure the squeel 😁
zombic28/06/2020 10:27

Put some oil on the rotors, that should cure the squeel 😁

Yeah, but it makes the rider squeal instead.
Edited by: "EndlessWaves" 28th Jun
whatyadoinsucka28/06/2020 09:06

Check your rotors for heavy wear, probably unlikely so wipe them down with …Check your rotors for heavy wear, probably unlikely so wipe them down with a brake cleaner or isopropanol (ethanol) and let them dry, check the pads and rub down with sandpaper, or get a new set of pads, some materials just howl

Thanks, the rotors seem fine.

As I mentioned, I've already cleaned the pads and rotors to eliminate that. No joy.

I've given the pads a rub down with fine grade sandpaper. Still no. I read that they're porous and could've already have soaked up a load of oil etc so I guess the next step is to buy some more pads
mas9928/06/2020 10:04

Check the brake is set up correctly. is the rotor touching the caliper …Check the brake is set up correctly. is the rotor touching the caliper when the brake is on? Correct pads or cheapy?

Yeah, they're setup correctly, no binding or rubbing. The pads are genuine shimano.
Any suggestions on some cheap pads? I might as well get at least a couple of pairs if it's going to work out cheaper. I've seen these Zonon ones that have lots of good and very few 1 star reviews at £10.99 for 4 or 4 resin ones from them for £8.99

I honestly wish I'd picked up a bike with standard rim brakes, but oh well. Even if I decide to get something different, I'll still have to sort out the noisy brakes as I doubt anyone would want to deal with that level of squeeling!
Its probably oil soaked deep in the pads. I had this happen to me once. I tried many things: drying them, sanding them, heating the in the oven. Nothing worked.

In the end I gave the heat method another try... I bought one of those kitchen mini blow torches and gave it direct red hot heat and poof I saw the oil finally burn off.

After that they were ok.. until the bike got nicked.
Try reseating them, clean/rough up and heat blast them, if that doesn't work get some new ones.
Just my thoughts.
redserpent29/06/2020 15:46

Its probably oil soaked deep in the pads. I had this happen to me once. I …Its probably oil soaked deep in the pads. I had this happen to me once. I tried many things: drying them, sanding them, heating the in the oven. Nothing worked.In the end I gave the heat method another try... I bought one of those kitchen mini blow torches and gave it direct red hot heat and poof I saw the oil finally burn off.After that they were ok.. until the bike got nicked.

Heating them up sounds like the next stage - it's not free they're much use as they are. It'll kill them or cure them!

What pads do you normally buy?
endofdays29/06/2020 22:21

Heating them up sounds like the next stage - it's not free they're much …Heating them up sounds like the next stage - it's not free they're much use as they are. It'll kill them or cure them!What pads do you normally buy?

I cant remember now they were just generic Shimano resin ones.
redserpent29/06/2020 22:56

I cant remember now they were just generic Shimano resin ones.

Ah right, no problem. That's pretty much what I'm looking for
Post a comment
@
    Text