Groups

How to stop clothes fading and losing softness in wash?

Hi there,

After a few washes of any clothes, I find that clothes go a little hard and lose a little bit of colour. I have always had new clothes turning into "old" very quickly. E.g. if I have a new polo shirt that is soft, after just two washes the collars look worn and old and the material looks a little bit older in terms of color. After 10 washes it's pretty much old.

I live in a hard water area as many of us in the UK do, and I have a good washing machine. I use Persil Colour protect (which supposedly prevents fading) and the recommended amount of Comfort fabric softener (sometimes more than is needed), and still have this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I feel like I'm wasting money when buying clothes.

10 Comments

wash less frequently and not on cotton or any long cycle using a colour clothing detergent
    Most clothes aren't really dirty but smelly so try the quick wash at low temp and slightly tumble dry
    Using conditioner helps and so does lenor Unstoppables

Wash at 30 degrees and use a less harsh detergent - something like woolite should help. Also, if you have a Samsung machine, try turning off the ecobubble feature - this feature is for deep cleaning and certainly means excess wear of fabric during washing.

soak clothes i salt water solution it keeps colour and stops colours running aswell

Its Persil doing it, change to Fairy and as others said short wash as possible. I used Fairy due to allergies and clothes go a long time before bubbling or getting "washed out".

Put them on the line inside out as the sun really does lighten colours a lot, especially cottons

Unless they are really dirty , shortest wash cycle possible and fewest number of chemicals . I gave up fabric softener a few years ago after a programme by Sarah beeny my sister told me about . Can't tell the difference . Also use far less than the recommended amount of detergent . Saves you money and keeps your clothes looking new longer . I do live in a soft water area though

psychobitchfromhell

Also use far less than the recommended amount of detergent . Saves you … Also use far less than the recommended amount of detergent . Saves you money and keeps your clothes looking new longer . I do live in a soft water area though

Too much washing detergent will make your clothes hard as the washing machine won't get all the detergent out.
    I have ditched Comfort and switched to Lenor as realised Comfort is rubbish.

We changed to non bio and washed at a lower temp, worked for us.

I find the clothes are hard if i don't use fabric conditioner. Also cheaper clothes from places like primark tend to fade faster than better quality made like m&s or department stores.

Always turn clothes inside out when washing (and drying -as stated by chocci)
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a flagship smartphone - the HTC U1134
      2. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk66
      3. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64534
      4. Tv choice magazine Issue 391414

See more discussions