How to stop random cat/stray cat from pooping in my back yard

Posted 2nd JanEdited by:"Larlen"
Hi,

as in title. It happens very often, once/twice a day, usually very late at night, early in the morning.

Got tired of cleaning the mess up after thinking the cat will go away and now I would like to try to make it stop.

Please note, I do not want to do any harm to the cat, so anything that would make him go poop somewhere else on my street but not hurt him at the same time.

Cheers!
edit: I forgot to add, my back yard is around 19ft x 13ft and the floor is concrete, no plants or soil to dig in.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

36 Comments
A work colleague told me his gun works well for that happens in my garden daily but i dont want to shoot them so i just have to put up with it i guess
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 2nd Jan
Sure it is a cat? Typically cats are digging a whole into soil and cover it after.
I used to use something called Silent Roar. It’s made from lions poo. Worked a treat.
Buckyball02/01/2020 17:55

Sure it is a cat? Typically cats are digging a whole into soil and cover …Sure it is a cat? Typically cats are digging a whole into soil and cover it after.

whale?
Water gun? If you spot it, just spray him, won’t hurt him/her but I believe if you do it a couple of times, will deter them from coming back, you can also get a sensor that spray water to stop them coming. I have a cat, and wouldn’t mind if someone did that to mine... would also go and pick up if someone knocked at my door...
My father in law puts about 6, 2 litre bottles of water on the lawn. He Swears it works. Can’t say I know if it does or not.
What size of area? Is it a complete front / back garden?

We had cats that came into our front / back garden to leave 'presents' in our Acer / Bay trees and raised beds.

I bought some wooden barbeque skewers and stuck them into the soil, about half the length of the skewer.

No more cat
fanpages02/01/2020 17:59

whale?

Get some education if you you are not aware of any animals that can poop into the garden
If it's habitual, then you need something to assault the cats senses. If it's returning to the same spot/location, then there's something there it likes or it doesn't sense any territorial threat. It all depends what you're willing to spend as there are devices to combat this particular 'attack' if we want to call it that. Hehe. I do have my own 'remedy' but it's not the best time of year for it really. Summertime, when it's warm and dry is best.

You need - Jar of "Vicks" vaporub / Small amount of pea shingle or gravel.

Melt the Vicks until liquid form. Get an old empty plastic tub (Margarine etc.) and put the shingle in and pour over the melted liquid. Put the lid on and give it a good shake to coat the shingle. Now, you can either tip the shingle out putting little piles of it around the garden/site of 'bombardment' (not ideal in wet weather) or better still, put it into smaller plastic tubs or bags and poke some holes in the top/sides to release the smell. The more, the better. You can also buy certain products that do similar to this but I found the above to be as effective - and less costly.

If you can catch it "in action" as it were, you won't beat a water pistol. It's not really cruel and won't harm the puddy - other than give it a good scare and teach it to go elsewhere. They DO eventually learn!

Good luck on your mission, OP. Braver souls have tried. Personally, I'd call Ethan Hunt...
Buckyball02/01/2020 17:55

Sure it is a cat? Typically cats are digging a whole into soil and cover …Sure it is a cat? Typically cats are digging a whole into soil and cover it after.

fanpages02/01/2020 17:59

whale?

Buckyball02/01/2020 18:10

Get some education if you you are not aware of any animals that can poop …Get some education if you you are not aware of any animals that can poop into the garden

OK. Do you want some help spelling "hole"?
Use flood light works a treat.
Get yourself a cat, or borrow mine if you can handle a ginger Tom
I forgot to add, my back yard is around 19ft x 13ft and the floor is concrete, no plants or soil to dig in.
Edited by: "Larlen" 2nd Jan
Larlen02/01/2020 18:21

I forgot to add, my back yard is around 19ft x 13ft and the floor is …I forgot to add, my back yard is around 19ft x 13ft and the floor is concrete, no plants or soil to dig in.

You're sure some neighbour isn't flinging poop over into your garden?!? Sounds strange for a moggy to poop on concrete with regularity? It's not a Fox, is it? Anyway, introducing a foreign smell is definitely a step in the right direction...
Phsycronix02/01/2020 18:25

You're sure some neighbour isn't flinging poop over into your garden?!? …You're sure some neighbour isn't flinging poop over into your garden?!? Sounds strange for a moggy to poop on concrete with regularity? It's not a Fox, is it? Anyway, introducing a foreign smell is definitely a step in the right direction...

Nah I wished lol, we saw the cat on multiple occasions sitting in our back yard and running away as soon as we leave the house.
I put in a complaint that the neighbour was seen molesting their cat, they got kicked out of their rented accommadation...100% would do it again.
Pepper
Family planted a few Helichrysum italicum
I can't put the common name because it gets flagged by mods here. Cats hate it but good if you can plant around. Easy to take cuttings from if you want more. I like cat's and think this is not a bad way to try keep them away
Edited by: "wayners" 2nd Jan
Our next door neighbours have 8 cats who like to use our garden as their toilet. We have fake grass and they go on that. They’re not bothered about covering it up. We smear vicks vaporub on the top of the fence panels and they stay well clear. We have to remember to keep this topped up or else they come back again.

My friend also swears by standing 2l clear plastic water bottles in an area but I’ve never tried it. However a large jug of water flung at a smug cat works exceptionally well.
Hot.Potato02/01/2020 19:03

However a large jug of water flung at a smug cat works exceptionally well.

This made me chuckle. Nothing looks sorrier than a "soggy-moggy."
Phsycronix02/01/2020 19:09

This made me chuckle. Nothing looks sorrier than a "soggy-moggy."

"inb4" somebody goes to find some images of wet pussies & something else comes up.
Soak used teabags in anything menthol. Vicks, deepheat etc, then place around your yard. Replace when even more used or after heavy rain.
It's crazy that you should have to go to such lengths to keep other peoples pets off your property. Most off the things suggested wont work. Owning a dog or cat sometimes keeps other cats away but it's not guaranteed and that's not a realistic option.
ScubaDudes02/01/2020 19:58

Comment deleted

I'm not sure how the law works with people poisoning cats but this isn't a sensible thing to publish on a public forum, no matter how much you may hate them
Edited by: "Azwipe" 2nd Jan
Azwipe02/01/2020 20:02

I'm not sure how the law works with people poisoning cats but this isn't a …I'm not sure how the law works with people poisoning cats but this isn't a sensible thing to publish on a public forum, no matter how much you may hate them

I don't hate cats at all. I'm only saying what my neighbour did and its the scent in the air they don't like.
ScubaDudes02/01/2020 20:06

I don't hate cats at all. I'm only saying what my neighbour did and its …I don't hate cats at all. I'm only saying what my neighbour did and its the scent in the air they don't like.

Unfortunately they are drawn to it. Do not leave anti freeze out under any circumstances.
Get jays fluid and pour over ur concrete it will keep the cats away and disinfect ur yard
JimboParrot02/01/2020 20:21

Unfortunately they are drawn to it. Do not leave anti freeze out under …Unfortunately they are drawn to it. Do not leave anti freeze out under any circumstances.

OK, sorry I'll delete my comment.
Have had and also known others have the same issue.

Tried a water scarecrow (felt justice when cat ran off on it being triggered) also a sonic one. A period where these worked or didn't - biggest issue is when there was a turf war going on between cats with my garden seeming to be the boundary in contest.

Solution that finally worked for me was to block all entrances and exits to the garden - i.e. gate at end a block of wood to stop then crawling under (lift wood to use gate), sloped trellis on top of fence and gate pointing inwards i.e. precarious to get in and occurrence was only once after as only way back out is if I let them and they seem to learn quickly and not repeat (was sure Roody - cat from two doors away was deliberately taunting me before I did this).
deleted210456802/01/2020 20:29

Comment deleted

that takes me back to my students day and dan's house in the summer where you could not have a bbq due to how much the outside stunk.
JimboParrot02/01/2020 20:21

Unfortunately they are drawn to it. Do not leave anti freeze out under …Unfortunately they are drawn to it. Do not leave anti freeze out under any circumstances.

Maybe delete your post ?
Simple - just mix up Jeyes Fluid with water and pour it around your concrete area - it will break the cycle of the cat messing there and it will go off somewhere else!

39572658.jpg
Edited by: "Bluefusion" 2nd Jan
Get a couple of snakes and leave them in the garden. The furry felines hate them. If you don't want to get a real one or if it's too cold outside. Anne Summers sell fake ones as the real snakes hate cold weather and quickly disappear.
Cucumbers work too39580446-rYGem.jpg
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions