how to stop slugs getting in my house ?

Found 22nd Jan 2015
Been getting these slippery customers in my house for years now and I've had it . There are shiny trails every morning in the front room. Salt outside round the house has been tried already . Help cheers

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
21 Comments

First thing you need to do is fond out where they are getting in, I presume they aren't opening the front door, you must have a crack or opening somwhere they are getting in sounds like a horrible problem.

Original Poster

Cheers but apparently they can get in the smallest of gaps but they even appear if it's dark and still up after midnight watching tv etc.

Salt - yes find out how they are getting in but salt is your friend - it's cheap enough and spread regularly will soon reduce the numbers (into a frothing lump of gooey mess)

Another is sharp sand or finally broken glass (but that would depend on if you have pets etc) - we get a lot here because of the damp area (some the size of a good sausage) - slug pellets will reduce numbers but most pellets affect other animals in the food chain (hedgehogs/birds) so be aware of buying the right type of pellets

rdbradshaw

Cheers but apparently they can get in the smallest of gaps but they even … Cheers but apparently they can get in the smallest of gaps but they even appear if it's dark and still up after midnight watching tv etc.

Can you trace back their slimely trails? There isn't really much you can do if they are getting in. You could leave some lush lettuce leaves in various spots in the rooms effected and put down some pellets round the leaves at night. Slugs go for the loot and die trying :D, but again this doesnt really solve your problem and could attract more. Not really child or kid friendly either. Maybe stay up some night late and keep the lights off and do a slug hunt with a torch maybe you can see where they come from, used to have to do this in my mothers garden after a few attacks on her plants.
Edited by: "Donkii" 22nd Jan 2015

rdbradshaw

Cheers but apparently they can get in the smallest of gaps but they even … Cheers but apparently they can get in the smallest of gaps but they even appear if it's dark and still up after midnight watching tv etc.

If you have gaps big enough for slugs to get in, you need to do something about the gaps. Find where they are coming in and block them - you can repoint bricks, cracks on the outside and silicone sealant on the inside.

I used spongy door stuff (can't think of name!) comes on a roll. attached around door frame. sorted. I have a phobia so needed a foolproof result.

Original Poster

Donkii

Can you trace back their slimely trails? There isn't really much you can … Can you trace back their slimely trails? There isn't really much you can do if they are getting in. You could leave some lush lettuce leaves in various spots in the rooms effected and put down some pellets round the leaves at night. Slugs go for the loot and die trying :D, but again this doesnt really solve your problem and could attract more. Not really child or kid friendly either. Maybe stay up some night late and keep the lights off and do a slug hunt with a torch maybe you can see where they come from, used to have to do this in my mothers garden after a few attacks on her plants.

Thanks but I done the late night garden hunt them down with salt , in the Summer nights there's loads , all my flags are shiny slime evidence .

Original Poster

ceres

If you have gaps big enough for slugs to get in, you need to do something … If you have gaps big enough for slugs to get in, you need to do something about the gaps. Find where they are coming in and block them - you can repoint bricks, cracks on the outside and silicone sealant on the inside.

It's possible , the only place I think they are getting in is at the front theres a small hole where the sky tech guy has drilled into for the dish wire to go through.

Stop letting them in!

Stick some beer in a bottle so there attracted to it and drowned. Like this redneck explains

rdbradshaw

It's possible , the only place I think they are getting in is at the … It's possible , the only place I think they are getting in is at the front theres a small hole where the sky tech guy has drilled into for the dish wire to go through.

Seal around the cable with exterior grade silicone sealant.

Original Poster

ceres

Seal around the cable with exterior grade silicone sealant.

Will try that cheers

http://stream1.gifsoup.com/view3/1195964/flame-thrower-o.gif

We have had the same problem for some time, my wife would do late night 'slug busting' but she could never stop them. In the end we traced it to the gap under the skirting board where the wooden floor has sunk. I used decorators caulk to fill the gaps and now we are slug free.

Hope you find your entry point, they really are disgusting!

Do they have their own key

Original Poster

izakamakazi

We have had the same problem for some time, my wife would do late night … We have had the same problem for some time, my wife would do late night 'slug busting' but she could never stop them. In the end we traced it to the gap under the skirting board where the wooden floor has sunk. I used decorators caulk to fill the gaps and now we are slug free.Hope you find your entry point, they really are disgusting!

It's worst when you bare foot step on one

Ive noticed shiny trails up our wall at the front of our house. Like right up towards the roof. Never seen a slug, just their trail. Any advice?

Get a guard snail

I've had this problem to, I can't find where they get in at all, I've not seen any for a while though I'm hoping I don't see them again I hate the things !

Original Poster

Turns out the slimy efforts are coming in through my triangular air bricks and up through the floor boards under the skirting boards so I probably can never stop them all , the outside pellets is probably the best option

The 'eco friendly' way to get rid of slugs are "slug nematodes".
They are microscopic parasites that target slugs in the ground.
About £10-15 to treat 40 sq m.

rdbradshaw

Turns out the slimy efforts are coming in through my triangular air … Turns out the slimy efforts are coming in through my triangular air bricks and up through the floor boards under the skirting boards so I probably can never stop them all , the outside pellets is probably the best option

Get a roll of this stuff. It will stop the slugs getting under the skirting board with the added benefits of stopping draughts and filtration soiling on the edges of your carpet.
Post a comment
@
    Text