How To Stop Spam/Scams on Gumtree?

Found 9th Mar 2015
Apologies for posting here My Mods, but you cant upload images if using 'Ask' so happy to have it moved - but can we keep the image?

But anyways, whenever I list something on Gumtree, I dont get anywhere as many responses unless I put a mobile number (im the same when buying, I dont want to email a buyer and wait 10 years for them to email me back... I want to barter there and then and go get it!)

But whenever I list something now - I literally get 10 messages an hour where you cant reply, it comes up as a name (not a number) and its the same old spam/scam where "David" wants you to email him at "ToniaJones@Hotmail.co.uk" or something equally as obvious.

Ive attached a screenshot, but this one spammer hit me three times in the space of one evening.

I have to mute my phone when I list on Gumtree due to the level of these messages.

Anyone know how to report these - or a way for Android to block these messages? They're not text messages... because as you can see, theres no option to reply - they arrive as some sort of service message. But then I dont want to miss important service messages.

Help!
Community Updates
11 Comments
Original Poster
Ah, mods. Ive lost my image now from this thread - is it lost forever - or is it on the server somewhere?

I have no way of uploading images to this site now
Get yourself a free SIM card for O2 or wherever got to a Cash Generator or other store of that ilk and buy a mobile for £5 or less and use this solely for selling.
I use only email I have it on my phone and it's as quick as a text. When I'm selling something I don't want anyone bartering me down :-)
Assuming that you have a data plan, install Truecaller. It will block known spam and should let you blacklist the fake caller IDs that you have been receiving spam from.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 9th Mar 2015
Banned
From what you have described, to me, it sounds like app notifications. if you have the Gumtree app installed then try uninstalling it, no matter what you do on Gumtree you will always get spam that's why many people don't bother with it.

You can check this thread hotukdeals.com/fee…598 for ways to post pictures in comments etc
I have the same problem, but only when I sell high value items. Anything cheap seems to be fine.
SUMMONER

Assuming that you have a data plan, install Truecaller. It will block … Assuming that you have a data plan, install Truecaller. It will block known spam and should let you blacklist the fake caller IDs that you have been receiving spam from.

Was going to download this, but was a bit worried by their App Ops:
http://i.imgur.com/oSxvyR3.jpg
Why not ask for my inside leg measurement whilst you're at it...
Edited by: "LuckyDavid" 9th Mar 2015
Yeah just use email replies only and if you get a genuine enquiry you can send your mobile number if you choose to.
Emails are just as quick and more convenient than calls anyway when you are selling
Original Poster
mosskeeto

Yeah just use email replies only and if you get a genuine enquiry you can … Yeah just use email replies only and if you get a genuine enquiry you can send your mobile number if you choose to.Emails are just as quick and more convenient than calls anyway when you are selling

True. The same goes for me... But from a buyers point of view - the lack of number just puts people off it would seem. I only base this on my own buying habits - and the times ive tried to sell without listing a number

Mermoo

I have the same problem, but only when I sell high value items. Anything … I have the same problem, but only when I sell high value items. Anything cheap seems to be fine.

Very true. That does seem to be the case.
just had a post deleted

iv had a reply on gumtree to a iphone 5s im selling. when i search the mobile number 07528093583 it comes up with a lot of adverts for iphones. is that a worry
Original Poster
If your phone is broken or in poor condition - then he may buy them and rehouse (to resell).

But, as per my new way of operating on Gumtree, he's going to have to come to my door and put money in my hand for it - so what he does with it after he's bought it from me - is his business!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions