How to store sponge cake

Found 5th Feb
I put all opened sponge cake in the fridge as I think this will keep it longer than in a biscuit or cake tin. I keep cake this way for 3 to 4 days without any issue.

However, when I googled the best way to keep a cake that has already been opened, it would appear that this is the worst way to keep a cake?????

Am I the only the one that does this or does anyone else also keep their sponge cake in the fridge?
Community Updates
  1. Ask
  2. Groceries
Top comments
If you have to store sponge cake for 3 to 4 days then you aren't eating enough.
22 Comments
If you have to store sponge cake for 3 to 4 days then you aren't eating enough.
Dunno about cake but it's certainly true for bread. Makes it go stale quicker.
Airtight container if you need to keep it that long.
Original Poster
SJHan10 m ago

If you have to store sponge cake for 3 to 4 days then you aren't eating …If you have to store sponge cake for 3 to 4 days then you aren't eating enough.

it normally takes me 4 days to eat a cake like this as i am the only one that eats it. if i ate a whole cake like this every day, i would be the size of a house!

What about freezing it in slices and defrosting one slice at a time
Original Poster
psychobitchfromhell10 m ago

Dunno about cake but it's certainly true for bread. Makes it go stale …Dunno about cake but it's certainly true for bread. Makes it go stale quicker.

i find that baguette goes harder if you put it in the fridge but sliced bread or bread rolls keeps longer if you put it in the fridge.

sandwiches are always kept in the fridge for example to keep them fresh.
Original Poster
Toptrumpet7 m ago

What about freezing it in slices and defrosting one slice at a time

i have never frozen a cake before but i would guess it should work if i wanted to keep the cake for weeks like bread.

i will give this a go now that you have mentioned this as i often buy more cakes than i can eat so if i freeze them, i can keep them longer
mutley110 m ago

i find that baguette goes harder if you put it in the fridge but sliced …i find that baguette goes harder if you put it in the fridge but sliced bread or bread rolls keeps longer if you put it in the fridge.sandwiches are always kept in the fridge for example to keep them fresh.

Sandwiches are kept in a fridge because of the filling , they only last a day and ever eaten or chucked away .
Cling film. I would store in the fridge if it's filled with fresh cream. If it's too clingy, an airtight container.
Edited by: "rev6" 5th Feb
philmitchell22 m ago

Sandwiches are kept in a fridge because of the filling , they only last a …Sandwiches are kept in a fridge because of the filling , they only last a day and ever eaten or chucked away .

If you mean retail ones, they are in a sealed container. BTW have you seen some of the optimistic eat by dates, up to a month ??????? Not noticed the packing date though!
It would dry up in the fridge.

I never put sponges or bread in the fridge.
mutley141 m ago

i have never frozen a cake before but i would guess it should work if i …i have never frozen a cake before but i would guess it should work if i wanted to keep the cake for weeks like bread. i will give this a go now that you have mentioned this as i often buy more cakes than i can eat so if i freeze them, i can keep them longer

I froze half of my birthday cake from May and started defrosting it the other day.
Looks fine but haven't tasted it yet. Still smells of chocolate.
Edited by: "hearts22" 5th Feb
Original Poster
hearts2226 m ago

I froze half of my birthday cake from May and started defrosting it the …I froze half of my birthday cake from May and started defrosting it the other day. Looks fine but haven't tasted it yet. Still smells of chocolate.

i would be interested to know how it tastes as it would be good if it did keep as i could then shuff my cake stash in the freezer
mutley11 h, 8 m ago

i would be interested to know how it tastes as it would be good if it did …i would be interested to know how it tastes as it would be good if it did keep as i could then shuff my cake stash in the freezer

I will let you know
mutley15th Feb

i would be interested to know how it tastes as it would be good if it did …i would be interested to know how it tastes as it would be good if it did keep as i could then shuff my cake stash in the freezer

Tasted a slice. Tastes fine!
Original Poster
hearts221 h, 5 m ago

Tasted a slice. Tastes fine!

i looked through my stash and some says suitable for freezing, while others state not suitable for freezing. i have put those that says ok for freezing in the freezer but i don't know if i should ignore the instructions on the others and shove them in the freezer anyway. hmmmmmmmm.......

good to know that your cake tastes fine. i don't want to spoil any of my cake. i would feel so gutted if freezing them spoils them.
mutley110 m ago

i looked through my stash and some says suitable for freezing, while …i looked through my stash and some says suitable for freezing, while others state not suitable for freezing. i have put those that says ok for freezing in the freezer but i don't know if i should ignore the instructions on the others and shove them in the freezer anyway. hmmmmmmmm.......good to know that your cake tastes fine. i don't want to spoil any of my cake. i would feel so gutted if freezing them spoils them.

I think if it has icing on it and a filling it will help keep it moist even after freezing.

Mine was a chocolate birthday cake with icing and chocolate cream filling and that helped the sponge not get too dry.

A basic sponge probably wouldn't do well instead.
Edited by: "hearts22" 8th Feb
Make smaller cakes.
Original Poster
hearts229 m ago

I think if it has icing on it and a filling it will help keep it moist …I think if it has icing on it and a filling it will help keep it moist even after freezing.Mine was a chocolate birthday cake with icing and chocolate cream filling and that helped the sponge not get too dry. A basic sponge probably wouldn't do well instead.

actually it's the opposite. the ones that states suitable for freezing is just sponge and those with filling state not suitable for freezing.

i don't have cakes with icing on them as i don't like icing on cakes so i remove them from the cake and throw away the icing if the cake comes with icing.
I wish you'd all stop talking about cake

33226766-qyB2V.jpg
mutley11 h, 8 m ago

actually it's the opposite. the ones that states suitable for freezing is …actually it's the opposite. the ones that states suitable for freezing is just sponge and those with filling state not suitable for freezing.i don't have cakes with icing on them as i don't like icing on cakes so i remove them from the cake and throw away the icing if the cake comes with icing.

Are they store-bought then? I had checked online before freezing mine and didn't find anything suggesting that mine with icing and chocolate cream filling wouldn't be suitable for freezing.
I would have thought just a sponge would get all crumbly and dry after freezing

It's just that with some ingredients the texture might be compromised after freezing but nothing bad for your health. It's just a taste issue.

I don't like icing either and don't like chocolate cakes or cakes in general but this was a cake my sister had delivered to me as a present for my birthday so I made an effort not to waste it.
Original Poster
hearts2257 m ago

Are they store-bought then? I had checked online before freezing mine and …Are they store-bought then? I had checked online before freezing mine and didn't find anything suggesting that mine with icing and chocolate cream filling wouldn't be suitable for freezing. I would have thought just a sponge would get all crumbly and dry after freezing It's just that with some ingredients the texture might be compromised after freezing but nothing bad for your health. It's just a taste issue.I don't like icing either and don't like chocolate cakes or cakes in general but this was a cake my sister had delivered to me as a present for my birthday so I made an effort not to waste it.

I buy all my cakes as when i try baking, they all end up in the bin. I spent about an hour recently trying to make biscuits and they tasted disgusting so it all went in the bin. I couldnt even give it to the dog

i havent yet worked out why some cakes are suitable for freezing and some arent according to the packaging but it would appear that those with filling werent suitable and those without are. I googled freezing cakes on the internet, and it seem to say that those rich in butter are suitable for freezing, so may be this is the distinction.

i dont want to spoil the taste of the cake, so i better follow the instructions and not risk freezing those that are not suitable for freezing on the packaging.

cake is my favourite food, followed by biscuits so i eat them every day
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants