How to straighten an external corner on my sitting room wall before papering?

13 replies
Found 15th Jan
I am going to use a textured patterned paper for my sitting room wall (before I just put up lining paper and painted it). I have now got a problem as one external corner is not straight, so if I use the patterned paper, it will not wrap around that edge well, and the pattern will not look alright. The edge looks fine until about half way down the wall, then it curves in for a few inches downwards and then curves back out again (to the top of the skirting). Instead, of messing around trying to build the edges of the wall up here, is there something that can be fixed to this external corner (from ceiling to skirting) that is extremely thin (a bit thinner than a length of PVC tile trim), so that I can then go ahead and paper over it (so that there is a nice neat edge on the corner)? Any ideas would be appreciated. Thank you.

13 Comments

multi finish plaster and plasterboard bead OR plasterboard bead and ready mix filler if its small dips

wickes.co.uk/Wic…437

and

filler or plaster - you need a trowel or taping knife/ scraper like thing to apply the muck

ebay.co.uk/itm…080?var=&hash=item1a22ad5340:m:mtJmQLQVAZLrcsvAsf-UuLg
something like this would do it.

what if u start on the edge with the paper so it doesn't look as bad

You start in the middle and work to the edge, making sure the strip at the edge is a reasonable size. You shouldn't need to straighten the edge.

Original Poster

crazymonkey

http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Thin-Coat-Anglebead-2-4m/p/9000036437and … http://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Thin-Coat-Anglebead-2-4m/p/9000036437and filler or plaster - you need a trowel or taping knife/ scraper like thing to apply the muck

This is a good idea but it is 3 mm thick - if this goes on the corner, it will be jutting out 3 mm from the rest of the wall (I wasn't planning on having the rest of the wall skimmed or plastered to level it out by 3 mm to match the depth of this beading). Do you know if it is possible to get something like this, but around 1 mm thick - so that when the wall is papered, the depth on the corner will not look like it is jutting out from the rest of the wall? Thank you.

Sophiasky

This is a good idea but it is 3 mm thick - if this goes on the corner, it … This is a good idea but it is 3 mm thick - if this goes on the corner, it will be jutting out 3 mm from the rest of the wall (I wasn't planning on having the rest of the wall skimmed or plastered to level it out by 3 mm to match the depth of this beading). Do you know if it is possible to get something like this, but around 1 mm thick - so that when the wall is papered, the depth on the corner will not look like it is jutting out from the rest of the wall? Thank you.

Once you tape/ paper or apply a thin skim, it should hide the 3mm depth, this is probably the thinnest you can get, I usually just use the slight increase as a feature, by the time you've wallpapered over it, you wont notice

Make sure you nail it in using clout nails or similar so that it does not protrude

imagine your paper going over the bead (the one in the vid is from the other side of the pond, but same theory applies)... youtube.com/wat…eCM

In your case your not using the dab/ glue/ compound to apply the bead as it will make the 3mm increase, if you nail it in make sure you level it too to ensure its straight, use a long level

I wish they'd have subtitles....

youtube.com/wat…Chw

Edited by: "crazymonkey" 15th Jan

Original Poster

crazymonkey

imagine your paper going over the bead (the one in the vid is from the … imagine your paper going over the bead (the one in the vid is from the other side of the pond, but same theory applies)... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pw3lTf6NeCMIn your case your not using the dab/ glue/ compound to apply the bead as it will make the 3mm increase, if you nail it in make sure you level it too to ensure its straight, use a long levelI wish they'd have subtitles....https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j2PbgW0_Chw

I'm not sure if clout nails would be able to go into my sitting room wall - usually have to drill things in. Would some type of adhesive be suitable to stick this beading to the wall - perhaps 'No more nails' or something else? Also, you said that you papered over the top, did you have to coat the beading with a filler or something first - so that the paper would stick to it? Thank you.

Original Poster

crazymonkey

Once you tape/ paper or apply a thin skim, it should hide the 3mm depth, … Once you tape/ paper or apply a thin skim, it should hide the 3mm depth, this is probably the thinnest you can get, I usually just use the slight increase as a feature, by the time you've wallpapered over it, you wont notice Make sure you nail it in using clout nails or similar so that it does not protrude

I'm not sure if clout nails would be able to go into my sitting room wall - usually have to drill things in. Would some type of adhesive be suitable to stick this beading to the wall - perhaps 'No more nails' or something else? Also, you said that you papered over the top, did you have to coat the beading with a filler or something first - so that the paper would stick to it? Thank you.

no nails is perfect to glue the angle bead and use "easy-fill" to plaster the bead with.

I use a thin 3mm metal stop end bead on the side. Then plaster fill to hide it and give straight Conner before I paper. If you paper around a corner it will throw out the vertical. Start next drop straight and over the top of the wrapped around drop. Use Sharpe knife to cut through both layers not always straight down. Follow the pattern In the plain bit in a s shape if the pattern allows, or around a flower/flowers or whatever pattern you have. Or you can buy L shake plastic or wood to stick over corner on top of paper but it don't look the best.

Original Poster

How long did you leave it after plastering over it, before putting your paper up? I'm a bit pushed for time as have a new sofa turning up in about 5 weeks and need to decorate first. Thank you.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. With or without cream?56
    2. Mobile WiFi calling?44
    3. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...810
    4. WANTED tickets for Logic Manchester23

See more discussions