Groups

how to teach your preschool to read? any tips pls

i would really appreciate anyone here have experience with teaching your preschool to read? he is just 3 n half. Im really stuck with how to start teaching him to read. He knows his alphabets. I found out about phonics, and whole words. But how actually do i teach him? i dont want to confuse him.

Pls advice.

28 Comments

Banned

You call your kid a preschool?

Original Poster

vibeone;8980099

You call your kid a preschool?

go away

Banned

he is very young to actually learn to read as such, just let him enjoy the books with you reading them, get him some flash cards for the smaller words, like cat, dog, etc,etc

start with small words and word games (like matching pictures to words, or playing snap/pairs with pictures and words)

that's what my siblings have done (my 2nd youngest sis, age 4 now, had problems speaking so she was doing these and has recently caught up to where she should be in time for school)

Banned

shybeauty;8980137

go away

just never heard that done before. bit weird.

poor kid.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3453/3238206505_ae1fee7dbc_m.jpg

Monkey Phonics :thumbsup:

Original Poster

sassie;8980147

he is very young to actually learn to read as such, just let him enjoy … he is very young to actually learn to read as such, just let him enjoy the books with you reading them, get him some flash cards for the smaller words, like cat, dog, etc,etc

yeah, thinking about doing that. do i need to emphasis on phonics? or its doesnt matter?

I honestly wouldn't worry about teaching him yet. He is very young and like u said, u don't want to confuse him. I would honestly wait until he was at school and then talk with his teacher about how they do it. I boy is 6 and was reading a good kids book within 3 months of starting, mainly because we did his school book every night after school....and he never even new his alphabet b4 starting school. My daughter is 4 and off to school in September...she doesn't read although likes to sit with her big brother when he's reading. The very 1st book they bring home from school is a picture only book - no words at all and they are asked to imagine the story. As said above flash cards are a great idea.:thumbsup:

Original Poster

coerce86;8980157

start with small words and word games (like matching pictures to words, … start with small words and word games (like matching pictures to words, or playing snap/pairs with pictures and words)that's what my siblings have done (my 2nd youngest sis, age 4 now, had problems speaking so she was doing these and has recently caught up to where she should be in time for school)

do you know where i can buy this books or flashcards?

Read to him and then with certain words (to start with all of them) write them out so he can see them being written then read them back from those you wrote.

Banned

shybeauty;8980197

yeah, thinking about doing that. do i need to emphasis on phonics? or its … yeah, thinking about doing that. do i need to emphasis on phonics? or its doesnt matter?

at 3 and a half it doesnt matter, and the words he will be learning are cat, dog, etc,etc my daughter could read well before school but son couldnt and he showed no interest in it whatsoever, but within weeks of school he could read and is a very good reader and loves books now, they will read when they are ready and show interest, dont force it if he is not interested

Original Poster

hannah19790;8980204

I honestly wouldn't worry about teaching him yet. He is very young and … I honestly wouldn't worry about teaching him yet. He is very young and like u said, u don't want to confuse him. I would honestly wait until he was at school and then talk with his teacher about how they do it. I boy is 6 and was reading a good kids book within 3 months of starting, mainly because we did his school book every night after school....and he never even new his alphabet b4 starting school. My daughter is 4 and off to school in September...she doesn't read although likes to sit with her big brother when he's reading. The very 1st book they bring home from school is a picture only book - no words at all and they are asked to imagine the story. As said above flash cards are a great idea.:thumbsup:

yeah, i dont want to force him into reading anything like that... he likes books, mostly as you said picture books, and he makes his own story lines. His lil bro rather make sounds of animals on the books, although he knows the names of the animals. Like when he sees a duck pic, he says.. quack, and dinosours he says roooaar.... its quite funny. The one he doesnt know he make up his own sounds.
    I find that 2nd one learns alot from their eldest.

Original Poster

sassie;8980228

at 3 and a half it doesnt matter, and the words he will be learning are … at 3 and a half it doesnt matter, and the words he will be learning are cat, dog, etc,etc my daughter could read well before school but son couldnt and he showed no interest in it whatsoever, but within weeks of school he could read and is a very good reader and loves books now, they will read when they are ready and show interest, dont force it if he is not interested

Good advice there.. not forcing him, just want to know if there is anything i could do to help him out. I would work on the flash cards.

Original Poster

dontasciime;8980220

Read to him and then with certain words (to start with all of them) write … Read to him and then with certain words (to start with all of them) write them out so he can see them being written then read them back from those you wrote.

That is a really good one. Do i write only simple n short words?

Banned

shybeauty;8980333

yes, no more than 3 letters, and words that look as they sound, and dont write in capitals, only lower case

learning to read is only memory, so say he knew the word cat it doesnt mean he can read it means he has memorised that word, and thats all learning to read is, so one word a week is fine, read lots of stories with the word cat in, then maybe lots of stories with the word dog, then lots of stories with the words cat and dog in, etc,etc

shybeauty;8980333

i would start him off with "antidisenstablishmentarianism" :thumbsup:

Ours started reading at about the same age - we just read stories for their age group with them, pointing to the words as we said them, & every so often giving them the chance to say a word. We didn't push them, & they were happy to learn like this. We also used flash cards from Early Learning Centre.

I think you need to be careful not to skip over the verbal stage of childrens development too early. Lots of parents want their children to read as it seems to be one of the "measures" we have for a "clever" child and/or "good" parent. However children need to develop verbal skills before they go on to reading, so later on they are able to confidently combine both.

I have seen so many children who are pushed to read early and later when they came to discuss books and ideas they do not have the verbal skills or confidence that will allow them to do much better in primary and secondary school and most importantly for the rest of their lives.
    The best way to "teach" (encourage) reading is to read to your child as much as possible. The key is to get them interested and wanting to read. At some point they will start to pretend to read to you. This is an important step. You can then maybe encourage them to try and read along with you. Hold you finger on the words as you go along and read slowly (but still with feeling and excitement). Let them know they can join in on any words they know if they want.

Much later on there is a scheme that says there are a small group of words ]100, that if a child learns to site read allows them to read many books easily. This later expands to a list of about 200. These are words that always come up and teaching these flash card/list style allows children to access interesting books without stumbling over these words.

Get lots of books from the library. If you can afford it buy lots. let them see you reading.

How about finding out what system the school they will go to use first as you may teach them one way and then they teach them another, maybe confusing to them.

Original Poster

Plum;8980448

I think you need to be careful not to skip over the verbal stage of … I think you need to be careful not to skip over the verbal stage of childrens development too early. Lots of parents want their children to read as it seems to be one of the "measures" we have for a "clever" child and/or "good" parent. However children need to develop verbal skills before they go on to reading, so later on they are able to confidently combine both. I have seen so many children who are pushed to read early and later when they came to discuss books and ideas they do not have the verbal skills or confidence that will allow them to do much better in primary and secondary school and most importantly for the rest of their lives.The best way to "teach" (encourage) reading is to read to your child as much as possible. The key is to get them interested and wanting to read. At some point they will start to pretend to read to you. This is an important step. You can then maybe encourage them to try and read along with you. Hold you finger on the words as you go along and read slowly (but still with feeling and excitment). Let them know they can join in on any words they know if they want.Much later on there is a scheme that says there are a small group of words 100 that if a child learns to site read allows them to read many books easily. This later expands to a list of about 200. These are words that always come up and teaching these flash card/list style allows children to access interesting books without stumbling over these words.Get lots of books from the library. If you can afford it buy lots. let them see you reading.

i understand what u mean there, i do read to both of them alot. Sometimes i ask him to read me the story instead. Must say really creative, can even make a movie on it

I kind of having a clue now. Will start of with flash cards, short words, and take it from there with his progress.

Original Poster

greg_68;8980461

How about finding out what system the school they will go to use first as … How about finding out what system the school they will go to use first as you may teach them one way and then they teach them another, maybe confusing to them.

never thought abt this... ur right tho... might ask them abt this

Original Poster

Thanks to everyone who have replied...appreciate your advice.

Most nurserys use the jolly phonics system these days,
    quite proud of my youngest though as he came home with a special certificate they made him for counting to 100 unassisted, we was gobsmacked as he is only 4 1/2 and at that stage they only expect them to get to20.

The first thing to do is to increase your child's vocabulary and listening skills.

Call alphabet letters by their sound rather than names.

Play plenty of pairs/memory/ domino type games.

Read a lot with your child.

Listen to environmental sounds, play games with these too.

some familiarity with words will come naturally with familiarity. Your child needs to show an interest in reading before he will attempt it.

Simple picture books are used at first.

Many schools now use 'Letters and sounds' phonic programme which can be accessed via the net and shows different games and ideas to play. It teaches letters in a certain order and if you are able to get hold of the cd it demonstrates 'pure' sounds which need to be taught.

This is a whistle stop tour of an introduction to reading. Hope it helps a little.

I think that Plum has given you great advice. another thing I'd suggest is letting him see the link between reading, writing and it all meaning something. So write a short shopping list and let him "read" it in the supermarket. Also lots of rhyming games and games such as "I spy" to encourage him to hear initial sounds in words. Have fun with him!

take him to your local libary get him intersted in books and choosing what he likes plus the big bonus its free!

I say let them learn at their own pace and try and make it fun and enjoyable. At 3 1/2 years it not so important trying to get them to read and write so soon and think it's more important to build a foundation and for them to get used to seeing words and not fear reading. Read to them regularly and you'd be surpised at how fast they start picking things up! Good luck!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Virgin Media TV56
      2. Do you use a case on your iPhone?33
      3. Tooth extraction99
      4. What's the most impressive 4k / UHD film you have seen at home?611

See more discussions