How to tell if phone is locked?

Found 26th Dec 2008
I know this is probably obvious, but how do I know if my phone is locked or if I am just not setting it up properly? I bought a samsung E590 from carphonewarehouse online and all info on it suggests it is unlocked but when I put my O2 sim into it, it says no network. Does this mean it is locked or is there something I need to do to change it's settings?
Any ideas much appreciated. Thanks

15 Comments

If it is from Carphone warehouse then it is unlock - they never lock their phones.

it may be unlocked, but the sim you put in it might not be registered, therefore you would not get any signal

Original Poster

It is a sim I have been using in a different phone so I think it should be registered.

Do different phones affect your signal? I normally have good signal with O2 at home.

jembob;3866655

It is a sim I have been using in a different phone so I think it should … It is a sim I have been using in a different phone so I think it should be registered. Do different phones affect your signal? I normally have good signal with O2 at home.

That's very strange if the sim works in another phone. Do you have any other sim cards you could try?

jembob;3866655

It is a sim I have been using in a different phone so I think it should … It is a sim I have been using in a different phone so I think it should be registered. Do different phones affect your signal? I normally have good signal with O2 at home.

Yes

Could be a faulty mobile or my be networks down?

Possible to try your sim in another mobile?

Or another network sim in your new mobile?

My brother has the same problem,he can recieve texts but can't return or call from the phone

I have found that Yes different phones do have different capabilities in getting signals, I brought a cheap phone and can only get a signal if left on the top of the window catch at home... and then will only get txt messages. :prop:

Original Poster

My sim is working in another phone but tried a vodaphone sim in the samsung and still searched and says no network. So does that mean the phone is broken?

PEPSIDAVE;3866898

My brother has the same problem,he can recieve texts but can't return or … My brother has the same problem,he can recieve texts but can't return or call from the phone

i had that problem recently - he needs to call his network provider and change his message centre number. That should clear it

the phone is locked

but if it takes one network it works fine and there is nothign wrong with it

carphonewarehouse doesnt lock thier phones so i dunt know why yours is locked. you sure you got it from there?

Original Poster

It definately came from CPW. Saw a thread on here and bought it for my mum in Sept but she has only just got round to telling me it is too small and doesn't want it. It came with £10 orange airtime which she wanted to keep for her old brick.

If it is locked where do I find a code to unlock it and do you just type it in?

Banned

Has the original Orange sim card that was supposed to be for the phone ever been used in the handset? The phone may have been blocked, what happens when you insert an Orange sim card into the handset, does it say Sim Card Registration failed???

Is the phone branded ? ie the Orange square or the T mobile T ? If it is, its most likely locked..

Banned

If the phone was locked it would display a message when you turn it on to the effect of "Enter SP Lock" "Enter Restriction Code" etc... When you attempt to use another Sim Card, this handset is obviously not locked, it is either blocked (i.e reported lost or stolen (probably by cpw)) or it has a reception problem...

Original Poster

There is no branding at all but not sure if the orange sim has ever been tried as my mum wanted to keep that. I will get it from her and see nect time I see her and then should be able to find out if blocked.
Thanks for all your help.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Newbie to PS446
    2. IO link v rf2 and questions22
    3. anyone have Mitchell and butlers shares?11
    4. PDP Switch Mario Odyssey Light Up Dock Shield48

See more discussions