How to tell if your tree has a tree preservation order without alerting your local authority to its existence.

Found 24th Feb 2016
How to tell if your tree has a tree preservation order without alerting your local authority to its existence.
Community Updates
19 Comments
Chop it down. If you get a letter in the post it was probably protected, if you don't, it wasn't.
When you purchased your property your solicitor should have made you aware of any trees that are subject to TPOs. Our solicitor certainly did when we bought. The only other way would be to have a local authority search done for your address which would show up any TPOs - but I'm not sure how to do this other than through a solicitor.
I am not sure whether all local authorities have web sites that would permit you to search anonymously whether there are TPO on trees. But it is the responsibility of the local authority to place TPO on trees.
I have just accessed my own local authority and their mapping service which does show the nearby trees that have TPO on them.
Good Luck
Edited by: "tardytortoise" 24th Feb 2016
I think you have to apply for it, and with a good reason. You won't end up with an order slapped on it just because it's a tree.
Thanks for the replies everyone. It's a birch tree and I think as a native tree it gets extra rights. Not sure if were in a protected area but worried that if I start asking questions some bright spark at the council might slap an order on it for **** and giggles
Do you care if there is a TPO?

(1.) Yes, then contact the council?
(2.) No, then don't contact the council and cut the tree down, although perhaps you should care because you may get into trouble, now go back to (1.)
leet_first

When you purchased your property your solicitor should have made you … When you purchased your property your solicitor should have made you aware of any trees that are subject to TPOs. Our solicitor certainly did when we bought. The only other way would be to have a local authority search done for your address which would show up any TPOs - but I'm not sure how to do this other than through a solicitor.

I'll check the surveys again to see if this was included. I'm not sure if you had to pay extra or not for this search.
kester76

Thanks for the replies everyone. It's a birch tree and I think as a … Thanks for the replies everyone. It's a birch tree and I think as a native tree it gets extra rights. Not sure if were in a protected area but worried that if I start asking questions some bright spark at the council might slap an order on it for **** and giggles

I have a oak tree and I used to have a silver birch tree both were not protected. Had the birch tree cut down and the oak tree crowned. Best to call the council and ask them straight out if its protected or not.
They should have a list or map of protected trees that you can search online. I wouldn't touch it without being sure, as fines can be hefty for cutting down a protected tree.

If you're in a conservation area, whether there's a TPO on it or not, you can't cut it without approval of the LA.
I had large lime tree cut down on my garden, Didn't know if it had a TPO or not so got them to leave the stump as it still grew and decided that if they gave me a letter I could just argue that I have gave it a good trim, Ok might be a 40ft trim but it'd grow back eventually lol.
just speak to the council

coward
shauneco

I could just argue that I have gave it a good trim,.

You need permission to even trim a tree with a tpo on it. Its a criminal offence to do so without agreement from the council.
YouDontWantToKnow

You need permission to even trim a tree with a tpo on it. Its a criminal … You need permission to even trim a tree with a tpo on it. Its a criminal offence to do so without agreement from the council.

Oh, It wasn't me that chopped it down, It was gypsies, I just kept it trimmed after it was cut. The pollen from it in the summer was horrible, It left a horrible sticky residue all over my car, It had to come down. I can only assume it didn't have a TPO on it lol.
shauneco

Oh, It wasn't me that chopped it down, It was gypsies, I just kept it … Oh, It wasn't me that chopped it down, It was gypsies, I just kept it trimmed after it was cut. The pollen from it in the summer was horrible, It left a horrible sticky residue all over my car, It had to come down. I can only assume it didn't have a TPO on it lol.

I just kept it trimmed after it was cut

thats still an offence
YouDontWantToKnow

thats still an offence

I've moved since then :).
shauneco

I've moved since then :).

Good

Because I believe its something like up to a £10k fine or prison or both...

In any case the penalties are quite high.
Edited by: "YouDontWantToKnow" 24th Feb 2016
You don't need to tell em then type of tree. Just call the council and ask if there are any TPO's on the trees at address x,y,z and they'll give you a quick answer. For nervous, mention a couple of neighbouring properties too to throw Em off the scent and don't tell them one is yours-(by the way, I wouldn't go to such lengths- but each to his own) bear in mind, iftari local authority is like the council I worked in many moons ago... trust me, ain't no one gonna be ars*d to even blink let alone come out to investigate!.. They just don't have the resources..
Hire a "Tree Hitman", but make sure you don't leave a paper trail and your out of the country, when the "hit" takes place.
Maybe take a photo of yourself and the tree, just to prove how much you loved it.
oO
Thanks for the replies everyone. I've re-checked my buyers survey like leet_first mentioned and it says no TPOs or orders on the property. Now all I've got to do is find someone to remove a 40ft birch tree Neighbours should be happy as no one likes scrubbing sap and pollen off their cars.

Thanks again everyone.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants