Groups

How to test a GFX card when my PSU is naff

I done a favour for a friend of a friend today, didn't do it for reward but he insisted I took a Gigabyte GTX280 1GB DDR3 for my time, he said he's pretty sure it works but he can't be 100% sure. It looks immaculate from the box everything is there, he said it was better than my 8800 in my PC at the moment, I'm not a big games player on my PC use my xbox for that.
    My tower has a paltry 350w PSU in it, I'm guessing that this card will need a bit more oomph than that, anyway I can test it, without buying a new PSU for which I may have no need.

51 Comments

you will need at least a 700w, really depends on the spec of system

Original Poster

wickedteen;8339989

you will need at least a 700w, really depends on the spec of system

Q6600, 4gb DDR2 ram, 8800gt runs fine with 350w at moment

1.2. Minimum System Requirements
    • Hardware
    - 500-watt power supply or greater with minimum 12V current rating of 36A. (Note 2)
    - Intel® Pentium®/CoreTM 2 or AMD AthlonTM/PhenomTM
    - 512 MB of system memory; 2 GB or more for best performance
    - Optical drive for software installation (CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive)
    • Operating System
    - Windows® Vista
    - Windows® XP with Service Pack 2 (SP2)
    - Windows® XP Professional x64 Edition
    • SLI TM Configuration
    If you are planning on using this graphics card as part of an SLI system, the following
    are required:
    - An SLI certified motherboard with two/three PCIe x16 slots and correct chipset driver
    - Two GV-N28-1GH-B for SLI configuration;
    Three GV-N28-1GH-B for 3-way SLI configuration
    - A power supply with 900-watt or above is recommended
    - An SLI bridge connector or 3-way SLI bridge connector

sell it? its worth a wee bit.

Maximum GPU Temperature (in C) 105 C
    Maximum Graphics Card Power (W) 236 W
    Minimum Recommended System Power (W) 550 W
    Supplementary Power Connectors 6-pin & 8-pin

so the card needs a min of 500w, so with the rest of your setup best to go with a 700w, best to have more then not enough

Original Poster

shanecr;8340027

sell it? its worth a wee bit.

Can't till I know 100% it's working, was stunnded when I relaised how much they are worth. Wasn't expecting nothing

Could he remove all devices attached, dvd drives, sound cards and any nonessential components and test

my system with a gtx280 from the powersupply calc below was 273w

extreme.outervision.com/PSU…ine

Original Poster

antony4462;8340060

Could he remove all devices attached, dvd drives, sound cards and any … Could he remove all devices attached, dvd drives, sound cards and any nonessential components and testmy system with a gtx280 from the powersupply calc below was 273w http://extreme.outervision.com/PSUEngine

Will give that a try, just try and boot with evertyhing inc USB stuff disconnected

The card doesn't need a min of 500w, the card inside a system needs a min of 500w. So a PSU between 500-600W should be perfectly fine for the entire system.

The more pressing concern is the connection required to power the card. The 6pin/8pin connections.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Zotac/GeForce_GTX_280_Amp_Edition/images/power.jpg

Don't even bother trying to fire up this card without those two power plugs in, chances are it will just beep loudly and display nothing.

I wouldn't recommend trying it with out a recommendation of a true tech off here,

Original Poster

PhearFactor;8340080

The card doesn't need a min of 500w, the card inside a system needs a min … The card doesn't need a min of 500w, the card inside a system needs a min of 500w. So a PSU between 500-600W should be perfectly fine for the entire system.The more pressing concern is the connection required to power the card. The 6pin/8pin connections.Don't even bother trying to fire up this card without those two power plugs in, chances are it will just beep loudly and display nothing.

It's got funny adapter things in the box

Guessing he wants to sell the graphics card tested not untested

faulty one on ebay recently sold for almost £90

Paddy_o_furniture;8340099

It's got funny adapter things in the box

You could have a go, personally though I would just get a better PSU before trying. Or find someone who can test it for you. I am not sure what could happen, but.. I am not going to scare you, but yeah, I hope the PSU is good quality, chances are it will just go pop lol

Original Poster

dcx_badass;8340102

700w lol, no way. 550w will be fine, that's what they recommend and they … 700w lol, no way. 550w will be fine, that's what they recommend and they normally exagerate the ratings. No way to test it without a better PSU really. Just get one for like £50 from ebuyer. That card is high end and is much better than a 8800 and definately worth using depending on the rest of your PC.

Will try see if a mate has decent enough PSU
    antony4462;8340135

Guessing he wants to sell the graphics card tested not untested

Undecided as to what to do with it, may start playing games on my PC if this would make it worthwhile.
    This is whats in the box:
    http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/889/sdc15622.jpg
    http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/8578/sdc15621.jpg

Do you have a spare psu lying about? You could connect that one as extra and run it solely to the psu, on the atx connector just short the green and black to start the psu running.

Original Poster

PhearFactor;8340151

You could have a go, personally though I would just get a better PSU … You could have a go, personally though I would just get a better PSU before trying. Or find someone who can test it for you. I am not sure what could happen, but.. I am not going to scare you, but yeah, I hope the PSU is good quality, chances are it will just go pop lol

PSU is a standard HP/Liteon one, have a spare.

Original Poster

harlzter;8340173

Do you have a spare psu lying about? You could connect that one as extra … Do you have a spare psu lying about? You could connect that one as extra and run it solely to the psu, on the atx connector just short the green and black to start the psu running.

I have the exact same PSU spare that is in my PC. No idea where it came from

The molex to 6pin/8pin do work, although it is recommended to use a power supply with those connections rather than using the adapters. It is possible that it could work, it really depends on the amps and such of the PSU. If you cannot get someone else to test it for you and you don't mind risking the PSU, then for sure, have a go.

Or if you can post the specs of the PSU, I can tell you how safe you are lol

You are looking for a label like this:
    http://benchmarkreviews.com/images/reviews/power/Hiper%20HPU-4M730-SS/label.jpg

Original Poster

PhearFactor;8340191

The molex to 6pin/8pin do work, although it is recommended to use a power … The molex to 6pin/8pin do work, although it is recommended to use a power supply with those connections rather than using the adapters. It is possible that it could work, it really depends on the amps and such of the PSU. If you cannot get someone else to test it for you and you don't mind risking the PSU, then for sure, have a go.Or if you can post the specs of the PSU, I can tell you how safe you are lolYou are looking for a label like this:

this the right info?
    I have 2x of these
    DC OUTPUT 350W
    INPUT 100-127v /10A 50 - 60 Hz
    200-240v /5A 50 - 60 Hz

OUTPUT +5v /18A MAX
    +5v /2A MAX

+12VB /18A MAX
    -12V /0.8 MAX

Your CPU needs about 10amp I believe and the GPU will require around 30, your PSU has 36A over the two 12v rails. So there is a chance it could post, but I would not recommend you loading into Windows/running any games. So in theory, even though you will be able to see the card working, you will not actually be able to test it properly.

With 18A don't' hold much luck of it working watch it don't pull ya psu down though.

Original Poster

PhearFactor;8340254

Ugh 18A is really low, I think if you stress tested your current system … Ugh 18A is really low, I think if you stress tested your current system you would actually find the PSU is not actually capable of powering what you have now (would become unstable under heavy load/usage). So you really need to upgrade the PSU anyway.

It's never been touched, it's how I bought it from HP.

Original Poster

tinyurl.com/ybs…s7t found this PSU in my daughters comp, any better?

Paddy_o_furniture;8340268

It's never been touched, it's how I bought it from HP.

Yeah I miscalculated as the PSU has two rails. Anyway.. from my post above:

Your CPU needs about 10amp I believe and the GPU will require around 30, your PSU has 36A over the two 12v rails. So there is a chance it could post, but I would not recommend you loading into Windows/running any games. So in theory, even though you will be able to see the card working, you will not actually be able to test it properly.

You want a PSU with more than 40A on the 12V rail(s), that would be ideal, also it should really be 450W or more. This is as low as I would go.

Original Poster

PhearFactor;8340298

Yeah I miscalculated as the PSU has two rails. Anyway.. from my post … Yeah I miscalculated as the PSU has two rails. Anyway.. from my post above:Your CPU needs about 10amp I believe and the GPU will require around 30, your PSU has 26A over the two 12v rails. So there is a chance it could post, but I would not recommend you loading into Windows/running any games. So in theory, even though you will be able to see the card working, you will not actually be able to test it properly.You want a PSU with more than 40A on the 12V rail(s), that would be ideal, also it should really be 450W or more. This is as low as I would go.

I'll try it at a mates this week, if it works I'm gonna keep it I think. Will I notice much of a difference as opposed to the 8800 I go at the moment.

Paddy_o_furniture;8340316

I'll try it at a mates this week, if it works I'm gonna keep it I think. … I'll try it at a mates this week, if it works I'm gonna keep it I think. Will I notice much of a difference as opposed to the 8800 I go at the moment.

Do you know what 8800 card you have?

Is it a GT/GTS and how much memory does it have 256/512/320/640MB

Original Poster

8800gt 1gb

It is an excellent upgrade, although I guess it does depend on what sort of set-up you have for gaming on. Monitor size and such - there is a good chance it is overkill for your needs. It might be more worthwhile to sell it while it is worth something as in another 6 month it will probably be a lot cheaper than it is now.

If your are a gamer and plan to use it on a monitor 22" or bigger, then keep it. If not, sell it as soon as possible.

You will be fine testing with both PSU's. Leave one as normal and it will supply the CPU (105w/8.75A) and the PCI-E x16 slot (75w/6.25A) and you boot drive. Then connect the 8+6 pin to the other PSU.

Original Poster

PhearFactor;8340412

It is an excellent upgrade, although I guess it does depend on what sort … It is an excellent upgrade, although I guess it does depend on what sort of set-up you have for gaming on. Monitor size and such - there is a good chance it is overkill for your needs. It might be more worthwhile to sell it while it is worth something as in another 6 month it will probably be a lot cheaper than it is now.If your are a gamer and plan to use it on a monitor 22" or bigger, then keep it. If not, sell it as soon as possible.

I got a 22" (HDMI/DVI) benq most action it sees is championship manager. Could fancy gaming more on the PC as the missus hogs the bloody telly

GAVINLEWISHUKD;8340441

You will be fine testing with both PSU's. Leave one as normal and it will … You will be fine testing with both PSU's. Leave one as normal and it will supply the CPU (105w/8.75A) and the PCI-E x16 slot (75w/6.25A) and you boot drive. Then connect the 8+6 pin to the other PSU.

You best explain how he powers up the other PSU

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;8340441

You will be fine testing with both PSU's. Leave one as normal and it will … You will be fine testing with both PSU's. Leave one as normal and it will supply the CPU (105w/8.75A) and the PCI-E x16 slot (75w/6.25A) and you boot drive. Then connect the 8+6 pin to the other PSU.

It's gonna be a squeeze getting into my tower looking at it, BRB gonna give it a go with the 2 PSU's.
    Edit will have to wait till daughter is finished as need her kettle lead

Paddy_o_furniture;8340451

It's gonna be a squeeze getting into my tower looking at it, BRB gonna … It's gonna be a squeeze getting into my tower looking at it, BRB gonna give it a go with the 2 PSU's.

You don't need to get them both into the system, you can leave one on the floor and just hook up the molex adapters to the 8pin/6pin plugs and pop them in. The problem is you will have to join the green and black cables to make the PSU boot.

http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/directron/2psfig7large.jpg

I have used this approach before, but never on a GPU so.. yeah, be sure to tell me what happens if you do it :whistling:

Original Poster

PhearFactor;8340483

You don't need to get them both into the system, you can leave one on the … You don't need to get them both into the system, you can leave one on the floor and just hook up the molex adapters to the 8pin/6pin plugs and pop them in. The problem is you will have to join the green and black cables to make the PSU boot.I have used this approach before, but never on a GPU so.. yeah, be sure to tell me what happens if you do it :whistling:

I meant getting the card into my tower as it's micro ATX, and cramped at the minute. Give it a go soon.
    That sounds arsey it's not meant too

Paddy_o_furniture;8340507

I meant getting the card into my tower as it's micro ATX, and cramped at … I meant getting the card into my tower as it's micro ATX, and cramped at the minute. Give it a go soon

Oh hehe, yes those GTX cards are pretty long. If it won't fit don't force it, those PCB's are not that sturdy. I have a few bent cards here lol

PhearFactor;8340449

You best explain how he powers up the other PSU

PhearFactor;8340483

You don't need to get them both into the system, you can leave one on the … You don't need to get them both into the system, you can leave one on the floor and just hook up the molex adapters to the 8pin/6pin plugs and pop them in. The problem is you will have to join the green and black cables to make the PSU boot.I have used this approach before, but never on a GPU so.. yeah, be sure to tell me what happens if you do it :whistling:

Well you have answered this already! Though I have it in my head it was the grey wire. I'm not sure was a long time ago would need to look it up first. But could well be the green.:thumbsup:

GAVINLEWISHUKD;8340515

Well you have answered this already! Though I have it in my head it was … Well you have answered this already! Though I have it in my head it was the grey wire. I'm not sure was a long time ago would need to look it up first. But could well be the green.:thumbsup:

Any idea how a GPU behaves when it is being fed power via the 6pin/8pin but not through the PCI-E slot?

The only way I see this working is if he powers on with the 6/8pin already connected and running, problem is I have no idea if this is safe or not. I could be wrong, but if he boots up before firing up the second PSU, chances are the card will beep and refuse to post due to the lack of the extra power plugs. It is going to be hard doing it at the same time, but not impossible lol

I do not envy the OP :w00t:

Original Poster

PhearFactor;8340541

Any idea how a GPU behaves when it is being fed power via the 6pin/8pin … Any idea how a GPU behaves when it is being fed power via the 6pin/8pin but not through the PCI-E slot?The only way I see this working is if he powers on with the 6/8pin already connected and running, problem is I have no idea if this is safe or not. I could be wrong, but if he boots up before firing up the second PSU, chances are the card will beep and refuse to post due to the lack of the extra power plugs.

I just had a plan, CEX can test it for me. Before I don't sell it to them??
    I'll be in town tomorrow and not far from one. I'm not obliged to sell it after they have tested it am I?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Surprise! The HUKD Summer Flamedeer Hunt 2017 **OFFICIAL THREAD** (trading …4552123
      2. Surprise the Miles136 summer burning caribou comp1122
      3. Back to school: what's your views on your kids uniform and piercing rules e…27120
      4. If you had £50,000 to start a business what would it be ?2546

See more discussions