Expired

How to tighten an aerial socket

Found 13th Jun
I don't know what it is called, it is the small tube in the middle of the socket as shown in the photo in post 1. It has widened so it can no longer hold the aerial tightly.

What is the best tool to tighten it, which would keep its circular shape as much as possible.

Any ideas on an appropriate tool or a good makeshift tool that would be suitable?
Community Updates
AskTV
Top comments
.. squeeze shut with long nose pliers. Or 2 screwdrivers pushed together
Edited by: "wayners" 13th Jun
23 Comments
Agreed

Or you might think this one is tired and not transferring a good signal. A new one is only a few quid
wayners19 m ago

i have a pair of pliers that i could use but they may change the circular shape when i squash the middle tube. do you think two screwdrivers will be better than a plier?

i didn't know they were called nose pliers, when you mentioned that, i thought you meant something like tweezers but for nose hair. lol
ccnp8 m ago

AgreedOr you might think this one is tired and not transferring a good …AgreedOr you might think this one is tired and not transferring a good signal. A new one is only a few quid

it is not actually an aerial socket, it just has the same thing so i thought it would easier to post that image to explain what i am trying to do.

it is a freeview box that my dad has which has an aerial socket.
You go gentle. It's not a wall nut your trying to crack and you don't grunt away straining! Feather touch
wayners34 m ago

You go gentle. It's not a wall nut your trying to crack and you don't …You go gentle. It's not a wall nut your trying to crack and you don't grunt away straining! Feather touch

Good point. I will just nip it then see if it gets any closer before nipping it again. Else it will end up getting squashed and the aerial won't even fit.
Tweezers?
Snakeyes64623 m ago

Tweezers?

I am thinking tweezers will not apply enough force but now that you have mentioned it, I may try these first before the nose pliers. They are gentler.
If the end going in this socket is from a home made lead like many were some years back then buy a new ready made lead from pound shop or DIY store and replace. If the lead plugged in is home made unscrew and put a kink in the copper inner core as the s shape will make connection nicely. If you follow. Old trick. If the inner cable is to straight it don't touch sides with enough pressure
wayners26 m ago

If the end going in this socket is from a home made lead like many were …If the end going in this socket is from a home made lead like many were some years back then buy a new ready made lead from pound shop or DIY store and replace. If the lead plugged in is home made unscrew and put a kink in the copper inner core as the s shape will make connection nicely. If you follow. Old trick. If the inner cable is to straight it don't touch sides with enough pressure

It is one where you can remove the end. It is not the cable that is faulty as my dad is using it with a TV and he gets good signal I think. It is the box that is wonky but I will bear this in mind thanks.
I would have thought squeezing together they would just ping back . I would just put a srewdriver or something at 3 o'clock position and slightly move the tube to one side... you will then find it a tight fit.
mutley13 h, 41 m ago

I am thinking tweezers will not apply enough force but now that you have …I am thinking tweezers will not apply enough force but now that you have mentioned it, I may try these first before the nose pliers. They are gentler.

I think you'd have more control of the pressure you exert with a par of long (snipe) nose pliers, just be gentle and take several attempts.

The tube will probably be flared towards the end to aid insertion and possibly a ridge to grip the pin, so make sure you fully insert the centre pin of the plug when you check it for size.

I'm not sure it would work, but if pliers don't work, I suppose you could try cutting a bit of suitably size heat shrink sleeving to fit over the tube, put the shaft of a drill bit the same size as the plug's pin in the centre to stop it being squashed too much, and shrink it with hot air to try to tighten the tube.
I had this problwm and used the otherhalfs tweezers =) worked fine
melted1 h, 45 m ago

I think you'd have more control of the pressure you exert with a par of …I think you'd have more control of the pressure you exert with a par of long (snipe) nose pliers, just be gentle and take several attempts.The tube will probably be flared towards the end to aid insertion and possibly a ridge to grip the pin, so make sure you fully insert the centre pin of the plug when you check it for size. I'm not sure it would work, but if pliers don't work, I suppose you could try cutting a bit of suitably size heat shrink sleeving to fit over the tube, put the shaft of a drill bit the same size as the plug's pin in the centre to stop it being squashed too much, and shrink it with hot air to try to tighten the tube.

If it doesn't work with a simple solution, it is going in the bin. Lol.

I can't cope with anything more complicated than squeezing the tube. I wasn't sure what is the best tool. Sounds like tweezers first, then if that doesn't move it, pliers. At which point it may be going on the bin as I worry about the pliers being too tough but I will try my best to control the pliers so it won't squeeze too hard.
mutley112 m ago

If it doesn't work with a simple solution, it is going in the bin. Lol.I …If it doesn't work with a simple solution, it is going in the bin. Lol.I can't cope with anything more complicated than squeezing the tube. I wasn't sure what is the best tool. Sounds like tweezers first, then if that doesn't move it, pliers. At which point it may be going on the bin as I worry about the pliers being too tough but I will try my best to control the pliers so it won't squeeze too hard.

I'd pay good money to watch this, Mutters !

Diegobound4 m ago

I'd pay good money to watch this, Mutters !

I will report back when I have attempted the repair. I am going to sleep on it so that I do it fresh tomorrow when I have a better chance of controlling the instruments. Lol.
mutley13 m ago

I will report back when I have attempted the repair. I am going to sleep …I will report back when I have attempted the repair. I am going to sleep on it so that I do it fresh tomorrow when I have a better chance of controlling the instruments. Lol.

Chuckling here. Sounds like you're off to help Red Adair!

Best of luck.
Diegobound9 m ago

Chuckling here. Sounds like you're off to help Red Adair! Best of luck.

I don't know who red Adair is. I doubt he needed help with his Freeview box though. Lol
mutley11 m ago

I don't know who red Adair is. I doubt he needed help with his Freeview …I don't know who red Adair is. I doubt he needed help with his Freeview box though. Lol

touché
Diegobound9 m ago

touché

Lol. Had to look that word up as I don't know what touche means either. You speak too posh for me
mutley113th Jun

Lol. Had to look that word up as I don't know what touche means either. …Lol. Had to look that word up as I don't know what touche means either. You speak too posh for me

Never, I don't believe for one second that you took time out to look something up instead of creating a thread.
Edited by: "andynicol" 18th Jun
Snakeyes64613th Jun

Tweezers?

finally got round to doing it today and i used the tweezers as you suggested. i was surprised how easy it was to squash the tube as the metal was quite soft and not hard as i had expected so it did not need much pressure from the tweezers to close them.

i plugged the aerial in afterwards and it feels much tighter now so sorted
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants