How to use a Monzo account to buy eshop games at cheaper prices

Posted 21st May 2019
Hey,

I've just tried this out so I figured I'd share what I've learnt with you guys do you can save yourself a bit of money as well Monzo does not charge conversion fees unlike using a normal debit card or PayPal.

1) Sign up to Monzo using the app
2) Wait for debit card to be delivered (2-3 days)
3) Activate debit card using the app (instant)
4) Change Nintendo account details to which ever eshop you'd like (https://accounts.nintendo.com/edit)
5) Purchase your desired game from the foreign eshop
6) Use the link from 4 to switch back to your normal location

I was able to buy Shovel Knight, Bastion and Steam World Dig 1 for just under £10 thanks to this system (as well as a free £5 for using my mate's sign up link)
Normal price for those three games on the UK eshop would be £19.40 whereas buying from the South African eshop would cost around £13.

Pros
  • Save a decent bit of money
  • Transfer of money from bank to Monzo is instant
  • Easy to use
  • Convenient app allows you to track purchases

Cons
  • Sign up process is a bit of an effort given how Monzo functions as an actual bank. You need to provide a photo of a form of ID (e.g. driving licence) and record a short video of yourself saying you would like to sign up for a Monzo account (unlike other banks, they don't have a physical branch for you to walk in and do this in person).
  • You have to wait 2-3 business days before the card arrives. The app doesn't show you your card details do you have to wait for the physical card to get your info

That's it! Feel free to ask any questions and I'll try my best to answer them

Thanks for reading
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

10 Comments
Awesome article!

Should work if you have Starling or Revoult also
If you have eShop credit, you will lose it when changing region. This is why I find it better to create a separate account for each region - you can select the account you want on the Switch and all prices will be in selected eShop currencies without messing with settings all the time. All games are still playable on primary account too.
What region did you buy from?
jco8322/05/2019 02:48

What region did you buy from?

I tried the Japanese one but it wouldn't let me purchase anything so then I bought from the South African eshop, as it had the next cheapest prices
Mobizzle18622/05/2019 07:00

I tried the Japanese one but it wouldn't let me purchase anything so then … I tried the Japanese one but it wouldn't let me purchase anything so then I bought from the South African eshop, as it had the next cheapest prices

So you didn't get those games for just under £10 as you say in the description? You got them for £13 ?
Completely different region eShops ie Japan/US don't accept payment from foreign cards. There is apparently a way around it by creating a region-specific PayPal account. Or can buy eShop top-up credit for that region.

South Africa is included within Nintendo Of Europe, so could actually pay with any card.
The majority of regular cards incur a 2% - 3% 'foreign currency transaction fee', although there are a few bad cards which add a flat fee (eg 50p/£1) on top of that
I believe PayPal's rate would equate to around the same as the 2% - 3% of most cards.
And 'Fee-Free' cards are obviously just that
Edited by: "jco83" 22nd May 2019
jco8322/05/2019 13:52

So you didn't get those games for just under £10 as you say in the …So you didn't get those games for just under £10 as you say in the description? You got them for £13 ? Completely different region eShops ie Japan/US don't accept payment from foreign cards. There is apparently a way around it by creating a region-specific PayPal account. Or can buy eShop top-up credit for that region. South Africa is included within Nintendo Of Europe, so could actually pay with any card. The majority of regular cards incur a 2% - 3% 'foreign currency transaction fee', although there are a few bad cards which add a flat fee (eg 50p/£1) on top of that I believe PayPal's rate would equate to around the same as the 2% - 3% of most cards. And 'Fee-Free' cards are obviously just that

Well I only put £10 on my card and I was able to purchase all three games so no, they didn't cost £13.

Agree with the rest though
Mobizzle18622/05/2019 14:26

Well I only put £10 on my card and I was able to purchase all three games …Well I only put £10 on my card and I was able to purchase all three games so no, they didn't cost £13.Agree with the rest though

You're including the free £5 sign up you got in that right ?
@Mobizzle186 , this doesnt seem to work. I've tried with both Monzo and Revolut. Maybe things have changed. Card is rejected at payment with the message "'you cannot use this credit card'
Edited by: "TraxStar" 10th Apr
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants