How to use ps3 controller for android OnLive app and any other game.

Found 18th Dec 2011
Hi guys/gals,

Currently the Onlive app on android you need either, a Universal Onlive Controller to play the games or be restricted to play games that have touch screen controls.

But now there has been a android app of Onlive that has been changed to use keyboard keys, as if you were on pc, and the controls can be implemented using the Sixaixs app thats available on the android market.

I have the .apk file on me Samsung Galaxy S2 as I got it from XDA Developers website but cant find the link where i got it from, so in the mean time while i find, if you want the .apk drop me a pm with your email address and I will send the .apk to that.

You get a free game for using the android app, lego batman, so to use a sixaxis controller, along with the app, you will need to do the following (Note: I did not make these instruction all credit goes to Rodrigo Salfer forum.xda-developers.com/sho…642 comment #6)

Folow my (Rodrigo's) instructions:
1 - Open Sixaxis
2 - Options Preferences
3 - Tick the box "Bypass IME"
4 - Imput Mappings
5 - 1 control mapping

Change:
Start = Enter
X = U
Circol = J
Square = H
Triangle = i
R2 = K

Analog 1 Left = A
Analog 1 Right = D
Analog 1 Up = W
Analog 1 Down = S

Press Back and open Onlive

This I have tested on Lego Batman and it works fine.

Also note you must have a rooted handset. I will edit this as I go along when I find a few more different ways

13 Comments

Excellent, will try this out on my tab.

Original Poster

Just another update:

You can now play any touch screen control games with the sixaxis controller app v0.3.5. That means you can use your ps3 controller to play, Modern Combat 2, NOVA, NOVA 2, 9mm, PES 2012, GTA 3, you name it. The only games you cant are Angry Birds.

To do this simple go into the game you want use your controller for and load a level, then take a screen shot.

Then open sixaxis app, press menu, then go to preferences, then edit profile. Double tap, then tap change background and find the screen shot you took earlier. Then simply add buttons that you want to trigger on your ps3 controller and place the button over the screenshot layout buttons of the game if that makes sense, just like the image below,

http://img51.imageshack.us/img51/2828/sc20111219110159.png

http://img443.imageshack.us/img443/2195/sc20111219110424.png

http://img683.imageshack.us/img683/6126/sc20111219110501.png

Again if you are having difficulty making a profile pm me your email address and i send my that way then you can import them using the sixaxis app.

Edited by: "ahmed123" 19th Dec 2011

Original Poster

Also in the screenshot above the right analouge stick is relative. This means it will do a full 360° turn of the in game camera. To do this double tap the button and then tap button preferences and tick the box that says relative.
Edited by: "ahmed123" 27th Dec 2011

Original Poster

I haven't been able to test on a tablet (as i dont have one), but you can try connecting a xbox 360 wireless receiver to the tablet and connecting a xbox 360 to the receiver and try any controller required games on OnLive.

I will try and test a wired xbox 360 controller once i get my hands on one, which hopefully wont be long.

Original Poster

Another Update:

Street Fighter 4 HD is available for all devices (unofficial), but is officially on LG devices.
Again the ps3 controller can be used by making a profile similar to ones above.

Modern Combat 3 (69p 02/01/2012 only) is available for android devices and again the ps3 controller can be used as above, if you want the profile as you cant seems to make one or understand it, please pm your email address and i will send it.

You should be able to use OnLive with xbox 360 controllers too, in theory. I haven't had time to try it yet, but I've been meaning to for days. Dell streak + xbox pad + OnLive + duck tape... How can it be anything less than awesome?

how would you use the xbox controller with onlive?

Original Poster

As I have mentioned above in another comment, using an OTG cable I bought for my sgs2, i connected the xbox wireless receiver to my sgs2 and got a pop up sayin it needs external power. Now in theory if i can instead connect a wired xbox 360 controller to my sgs2 it should work. Although connecting a wiresless receiver to a tablet does work iv seen it work. its not been seen to have been tested on the OnLive app, which I hope to do, or anyone else.

dxx

You should be able to use OnLive with xbox 360 controllers too, in … You should be able to use OnLive with xbox 360 controllers too, in theory. I haven't had time to try it yet, but I've been meaning to for days. Dell streak + xbox pad + OnLive + duck tape... How can it be anything less than awesome?

xbox-360-elite

how would you use the xbox controller with onlive?

sorry, but what is an OTG cable? would this method be the same for an xperia play?

Original Poster

xbox-360-elite

sorry, but what is an OTG cable? would this method be the same for an … sorry, but what is an OTG cable? would this method be the same for an xperia play?

No, sorry.

OTG cable is cable that is used on OTG compatible device which are Samsung Galaxy S2 and Nokia N9, I think there are more. OTG is a micro usb port with a usb port at the end to connect usb flash drives and HDD and other devices as such.

Xperia Play is not OTG compatible so its not possible but OnLive is already Xperia Play keypad compatible and many Gameloft games and Android Market games are also...

How has the uptake been towards onlive?

I signed up a few weeks ago and I have to say I am impressed. Sometimes I just watch others play and I do think that is a funky addition.

Add me guys, I'm called proactiveenigma

Original Poster

xbox-360-elite

sorry, but what is an OTG cable? would this method be the same for an … sorry, but what is an OTG cable? would this method be the same for an xperia play?

There is an app android market called online helper that allows xperia keypad to be used as a controller for games on OnLive...
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions