How to wipe your hard drive before selling

Posted 3rd Feb
Hello everyone please anyone help i need to sell my external hard drive i need to clean my data which i delete from my HARD DRIVE, because no one can data recover, please anyone now how to do it or any free software.thank you in advance'
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

13 Comments
CCleaner. HERE

Free to download. Incorporated into the software is a "Drive space" wiper. Do a normal "format" drive - then use CCleaner to wipe free space several times.

Tonnes of info available on Google: techworld.com/sec…10/

Disk Wipe sounds good. I used to use BCwipe a long time ago. All straight forward to use.

All the best, Phsy.
If you reformat it (even if not using the MS-Windows "Quick format" option), then it is possible to recover some (if not all) of the data using dedicated techniques.

A better option would be to delete the primary partition (& any secondary/tertiary/subsequent partitions), then create a new single partition but, again, this is not 100% effective.

You could, however, use one of the methods summarised within the link below:

"40 Best Free Data Destruction Software Programs"
By Tim Fisher; Updated January 20, 2020

[ lifewire.com/fre…174 ]
thanks for advise. i try both way.
If you have a bootable USB stick with Ubuntu lying around, just boot it up and do something like shred -v -n 3 -z /dev/sda

No need to worry about partitions and ineffective formatting, as this will write random 1s and 0s over the whole disk 3 times, then fill it with 0s.
paul_merton03/02/2020 15:28

If you have a bootable USB stick with Ubuntu lying around, just boot it up …If you have a bootable USB stick with Ubuntu lying around, just boot it up and do something like shred -v -n 3 -z /dev/sdaNo need to worry about partitions and ineffective formatting, as this will write random 1s and 0s over the whole disk 3 times, then fill it with 0s.

I would do something like this ^
deleted1781203/02/2020 15:03

If you reformat it (even if not using the MS-Windows "Quick format" …If you reformat it (even if not using the MS-Windows "Quick format" option), then it is possible to recover some (if not all) of the data using dedicated techniques.A better option would be to delete the primary partition (& any secondary/tertiary/subsequent partitions), then create a new single partition but, again, this is not 100% effective.You could, however, use one of the methods summarised within the link below:"40 Best Free Data Destruction Software Programs" By Tim Fisher; Updated January 20, 2020 [ https://www.lifewire.com/free-data-destruction-software-programs-2626174 ]

Yeah DBAN seems to be the one most people recommend.
deleted1781203/02/2020 15:03

If you reformat it (even if not using the MS-Windows "Quick format" …If you reformat it (even if not using the MS-Windows "Quick format" option), then it is possible to recover some (if not all) of the data using dedicated techniques.A better option would be to delete the primary partition (& any secondary/tertiary/subsequent partitions), then create a new single partition but, again, this is not 100% effective.You could, however, use one of the methods summarised within the link below:"40 Best Free Data Destruction Software Programs" By Tim Fisher; Updated January 20, 2020 [ https://www.lifewire.com/free-data-destruction-software-programs-2626174 ]

For ref: do whatever you want with partitioning and reformatting - multiple times if you want - but if you don't physically write over the disk contents the non-overwritten data can be recovered.
AndyRoyd03/02/2020 16:13

For ref: do whatever you want with partitioning and reformatting - …For ref: do whatever you want with partitioning and reformatting - multiple times if you want - but if you don't physically write over the disk contents the non-overwritten data can be recovered.

For ref: I know.
In the movies the bad guys always have what looks like the paddle things doctors bring people back to life with, they zap the computers with them to wipe the data
JumpMan198003/02/2020 18:09

In the movies the bad guys always have what looks like the paddle things …In the movies the bad guys always have what looks like the paddle things doctors bring people back to life with, they zap the computers with them to wipe the data

Defibrilator eh? Nice. Hacker style. Of course, you could always bung the drive in the microwave for a few minutes too...
Phsycronix03/02/2020 18:12

Defibrilator eh? Nice. Hacker style. Of course, you could always bung the …Defibrilator eh? Nice. Hacker style. Of course, you could always bung the drive in the microwave for a few minutes too...

It’s best to be doubly sure
JumpMan198003/02/2020 18:14

It’s best to be doubly sure

Belt AND braces. Me? I have a cordless drill on constant standby. Straight through, baby. The only thing my hard drives will be good for is draining pasta!
Phsycronix03/02/2020 18:18

Belt AND braces. Me? I have a cordless drill on constant standby. Straight …Belt AND braces. Me? I have a cordless drill on constant standby. Straight through, baby. The only thing my hard drives will be good for is draining pasta!

The OP wants to sell his HDD but I know what you mean. ha ha
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants