Expired

How to write your full name after marriage on your CV ?

Found 4th Feb 2014
Tried google but not very clear and American answers, how do you include your maiden name correctly? Thank you
Community Updates
Ask
9 Comments
If you're married you dont use your maiden name?

If you need to include though, use your full new name with maiden in brackets at the end (but before any diploma letters)
deviouspaul

If you're married you dont use your maiden name?If you need to include … If you're married you dont use your maiden name?If you need to include though, use your full new name with maiden in brackets at the end (but before any diploma letters)

My wife needs to include her maiden name for professional reasons, google said this way -

Christian (Maiden) Surname

confused
Firstname Surname (née Birthname), isn't it?
dxx

Firstname Surname (née Birthname), isn't it?

Are you asking or telling? lol

Thanks for replying.
DXX's version seems right but there's no hard and fast rule with CVs. It partly depends on if the person was known in the industry by their maiden name.
DennisG

DXX's version seems right but there's no hard and fast rule with CVs. It … DXX's version seems right but there's no hard and fast rule with CVs. It partly depends on if the person was known in the industry by their maiden name.

Yes she is known widely within her industry by her maiden name, it is confusing when someone changes their name, she has kept her maiden name for work so far but she wants to include her married name now on her CV.
Cool. In that case, DXX's method does everything you want and presents it in a nice, formal, easy to understand and succinct manner!
DennisG

Cool. In that case, DXX's method does everything you want and presents it … Cool. In that case, DXX's method does everything you want and presents it in a nice, formal, easy to understand and succinct manner!

Yes it certainly does, I'll give it a bit then mark as best answer.
I work in academia and see this all the time with research papers. Generally the (now married) author would use her maiden name professionally.

In the cases where they take on the married name professionally, I've seen Ann Betsy (neé Carter), but I've also seen Ann Betsy (previously Carter).

For the purposes of a CV I would go with Ann Besty (neé Carter) at the top - and if she're referring to publications/previous work where she's known under her maiden name, I would just append a note to that section saying "this work was published/authored under the name Ann Carter". I hope that makes sense!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants