How well do rings keep value for resale?

Found 27th Oct 2017
I have a diamond engagement ring in white gold - 14 carot with original certificate as to the quality of the diamond and purchase receipt. It was nearly €800 14 years ago. Just wondered what it might be worth now. I will take it into a couple of jewellers but wondered what experiences others had had of reselling rings. It would need a polish but other than that it’s a very traditional and simple setting so still the same as designs that are sellable now.

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
14 Comments

What carat is the Diamond? What cut? A picture would help tremendously.

Good Luck. I sold some jewelry a few years back but most would only give the gold scrap value regardless of stones and settings. I had one piece which was old and an antique dealer ended up buying it but only covered my cost

Original Poster

I’m translating from the German certificate here so not sure of the UK terms
0.2 carat
Top clarity
High/fine white (the top rating)
Brilliant/modern cut?

Can’t post a pic until I get home but it’s very similar to this:

royaldiamonds.co.uk/eng…12w
Edited by: "bluep" 27th Oct 2017

Original Poster

Bit stuck what to do with it though - I won’t ever wear it again (post-divorce haha), won’t give it to my daughter but don’t want to sell it for a couple of hundred quid just for melt down. Sigh.

could have the stone put in a new setting ?

Tbh most places aren't going to give your more the scrap value.

Most people want new so the resale market is very small.

jewellery are like cars, they depreciate FAST! as soon as they leave the showroom, they pretty much half in value or even worse. if you buy jewellery, buy them to wear because they look pretty, but don't expect to get any money back for them.

Jewellery depreciates quite badly. Jewellers have pretty high markups. Unless it is an antique it is unlikely to be worth much.

Original Poster

Cool. Thanks for the responses - helps for self management of expectations when I go to the jewellers!

bluep6 h, 4 m ago

I’m translating from the German certificate here so not sure of the UK t …I’m translating from the German certificate here so not sure of the UK terms0.2 caratTop clarity High/fine white (the top rating)Brilliant/modern cut?Can’t post a pic until I get home but it’s very similar to this:https://www.royaldiamonds.co.uk/engagement-rings/18ct-white-gold-ring-with-a-round-diamond-in-a-6-claw-setting-rd112w

.2 is minute and not worth very much

Agree with most of the above, had a wakeup call when I sold similar recently and got £90 despite shopping around. You could consider ebay also as you could get more than the scrap value

Original Poster

Well I don’t need to sell it so I think I’ll keep it as a momento of a time that was happy then.

bluep2 h, 6 m ago

Well I don’t need to sell it so I think I’ll keep it as a momento of a tim …Well I don’t need to sell it so I think I’ll keep it as a momento of a time that was happy then.

you could use the diamond in a different piece of jewellery if you like wearing jewellery.

0.2 was not 800 euros, if you /partner paid that then you were royally spanked, you'll be lucky to get a ton for it.
Post a comment
@
    Text