Groups

How worried are you about your job?

Hi

I just wanted to ask people how worried they are about their job. Or if their other half is working - his/her job, or if a student - about getting a job.

I am just curious about how bad things really are for people.

As for me, I think that things are going to get very nasty where I work but I should be ok

27 Comments

Up until VERY recently, I was very stressed over my other half's job. Redundancies a-plenty, and some serious nit-picking in order to make people quit or fire them. He's been lucky though, and has been promoted instead of kicked out - but I have to say, he went through some serious stinky stuff to get there, almost walked out twice. The former manager was being outed and was trying to take the company down with him, lying and making up stories forcing almost everyone into disciplinaries - causing some to resign or worse still, be found guilty of some trupmed up charge resulting in their dismissal. BUT things are better now. I think some companies are using the 'economic dowturn' as an excuse to shift some bad blood. One thing is for sure though, I wouldn't want to working for the Local Government right now, and that's all I've known since leaving school to leaving to become a mother. Some sharp cuts there, at the pointy end too.

Not overly worried at the moment... Boyfriend is a policeman and half of his shift are older and moved on to CID/Child Protection/Major Crime etc so they're understaffed on the "front line"... My company employs over 100k people and the team I work in has so much work to do we're often in the office 10-11 hours a day!
    Saying that, the boyfriend has been denied £1500 of work he did tutoring new officers simply because "the government can't afford it" so there's going to be a lot of rubbish happening with his job.
    It's going to get bad for a lot of people, although hopefully it'll soon pick up again.

Original Poster

Do you think that most of the worse is over in the private sector but is going to get bad in the public sector?

Banned

I work in the private sector, in an industry hard hit by the financial crisis.

if you're good at your job you should be fine.

Original Poster

But you could stil be fired if your employer decides that the entire area that you work in is no longer necessary?

Banned

Davidben83

But you could stil be fired if your employer decides that the entire area … But you could stil be fired if your employer decides that the entire area that you work in is no longer necessary?

lol the economy would have to be so bad for my department to be shut down. so bad that my losing my job would be the last thing on my mind, i'd go out and by loads of canned food and can openers

Davidben83

But you could stil be fired if your employer decides that the entire area … But you could stil be fired if your employer decides that the entire area that you work in is no longer necessary?

Yes, you could. Though I wouldn't call it 'fired' - most places would have to go through a redundancy process, for which there are statutory procedures, then offer any available posts elsewhere in the company to anyone else who would be jobless. For example, in the public sector: If they decide libraries are no longer essential services, and close them all, or cut back severely on hours and number of buildings, lots of people would lose their jobs. Most would be early retirement or redundancy, the rest would be 'moved' to other locations, maybe in Social Services, or ANYWHERE else with a similar sort of position (once they've exhausted similar positions they may offer retraining to fill available positions in utterly different roles). After that's all been exhausted you can impose redundancy on those leftover, including any who opted not to move to a different location/position. In my husbands experience though, which I hope is not typical, they just tried to make people quit (by making their lives miserable), rather than follow procedure.

Unfortunately very worried since my fiance graduated last July, he has been made redundant 3 times. The first time he was able to get another job a few weeks later but the second time he was unemployed for 6 months, then he got another job but it was only for a month and was made redundant again last week. In the industry he works in, in the last month two 'rival' companies went bust, and in N.I. there are only 4 companies of what he works in. Those other two companies only have the bosses working for them now just to keep the company running until more work comes along, but that could be months away, and even then, there is a lot of competition for those jobs there is no guarantee he will be employed again.

It has been very tough, I have just graduated, so since January we had been living off my (very small) student loan, supporting my partner's daughter and my part time job didn't bring in a lot of money. At the start my fiance went to the job centre to try and get some support but they refused to give him anything, but eventually they did and he was able to get job seekers allowance but it was very little but better than nothing. He was applying for jobs everyday, going to recruitment centres, handing in CV's, application forms but nobody wanted to know, they said either he didn't have enough experience or was over qualified. It was really disheartening, and again he is back to applying for anything and everything but getting rejection letters daily. He eventually wants to be a lecturer in his degree subject but he needs to do his PhD, and although he was offered a place to do it, they didn't offer him funding so he is trying to work to save up money to do this but once he has some money saved he is made redundant and he has to start all over again. It's just a vicious circle at the minute with very little way out.

I am going back to uni in Sept to do my PGCE, but trying to get a job over the summer has been impossible, nobody is interested, I have a job but it is only when they need me so only getting days here and there, not enough to pay rent and bills, let alone live off but it's better than nothing. Come September I don't know how we will cope if he doesn't have a job. I will be spending 8-4 in school, then the evenings doing my lesson plans for the next day and assignments for the course so I don't know when I will have time for a part time job but I know I will have to find something in the evenings.

I can't say I am looking forward to the next year, part of me wants to say i'll give up on my PGCE and just get a job so we won't go through another year like last year but I don't want to delay it and the sooner I do it the sooner I can start teaching and have some financial stability but it's a tough decision, as yet I don't know if I have made the right decision to stick with it and just hope for the best but we will see lol

mishmash09

I can't say I am looking forward to the next year, part of me wants to … I can't say I am looking forward to the next year, part of me wants to say i'll give up on my PGCE and just get a job so we won't go through another year like last year but I don't want to delay it and the sooner I do it the sooner I can start teaching and have some financial stability but it's a tough decision, as yet I don't know if I have made the right decision to stick with it and just hope for the best but we will see lol

Don't quit! We need teachers, and good teachers! I had a fantastic teacher when I was in primary school and she encouraged me to do something with my life that everyone else thought I couldn't... I remembered that for years and years even though I had the same discouragement when I was growing up. Turns out... I COULD do what I wanted, and I remember her to this day!

We have 2000 redundancies in the offing ( 500 jobs going abroad) with another possible 2500 at the end of the year / beginning of next year

I'm very worried about mine. I work in local government and we know there are huge staffing cuts coming.

Very worried at the moment, found out a few days ago the business I work for is going into administration & no one knows what's going to happen to our jobs. So I have been applying for as many jobs as I can for the past few days! so it's a bit stressful the past few days! Arghh oO

Original Poster

mishmash09

Unfortunately very worried since my fiance graduated last July, he has … Unfortunately very worried since my fiance graduated last July, he has been made redundant 3 times. The first time he was able to get another job a few weeks later but the second time he was unemployed for 6 months, then he got another job but it was only for a month and was made redundant again last week. In the industry he works in, in the last month two 'rival' companies went bust, and in N.I. there are only 4 companies of what he works in. Those other two companies only have the bosses working for them now just to keep the company running until more work comes along, but that could be months away, and even then, there is a lot of competition for those jobs there is no guarantee he will be employed again.It has been very tough, I have just graduated, so since January we had been living off my (very small) student loan, supporting my partner's daughter and my part time job didn't bring in a lot of money. At the start my fiance went to the job centre to try and get some support but they refused to give him anything, but eventually they did and he was able to get job seekers allowance but it was very little but better than nothing. He was applying for jobs everyday, going to recruitment centres, handing in CV's, application forms but nobody wanted to know, they said either he didn't have enough experience or was over qualified. It was really disheartening, and again he is back to applying for anything and everything but getting rejection letters daily. He eventually wants to be a lecturer in his degree subject but he needs to do his PhD, and although he was offered a place to do it, they didn't offer him funding so he is trying to work to save up money to do this but once he has some money saved he is made redundant and he has to start all over again. It's just a vicious circle at the minute with very little way out.I am going back to uni in Sept to do my PGCE, but trying to get a job over the summer has been impossible, nobody is interested, I have a job but it is only when they need me so only getting days here and there, not enough to pay rent and bills, let alone live off but it's better than nothing. Come September I don't know how we will cope if he doesn't have a job. I will be spending 8-4 in school, then the evenings doing my lesson plans for the next day and assignments for the course so I don't know when I will have time for a part time job but I know I will have to find something in the evenings.I can't say I am looking forward to the next year, part of me wants to say i'll give up on my PGCE and just get a job so we won't go through another year like last year but I don't want to delay it and the sooner I do it the sooner I can start teaching and have some financial stability but it's a tough decision, as yet I don't know if I have made the right decision to stick with it and just hope for the best but we will see lol

Just to say that that sounds really tough and I hope things work out for you guys. I am sure they will in the medium to long term but that is hard to take when things are so difficult now.

I thank my lucky stars that I graduated in 2005 as I managed to get a good job in what was clearly much better times.

I work in government also, although not in local, and things are going to get tough.

Original Poster

Little Munchkin

I'm very worried about mine. I work in local government and we know there … I'm very worried about mine. I work in local government and we know there are huge staffing cuts coming.

Do people have an idea how many - 10%, 20% etc?

Supermod

I am lucky that my job is very secure and as is my girlfriends. We don't take this for granted but we know how things are.

work for local authority...savings and cutbacks of 50 million over the next 3 years for us...eeek not sure how thats going to equate in job loss form, hopefully it will be ok

Original Poster

mishmash09

Unfortunately very worried since my fiance graduated last July, he has … Unfortunately very worried since my fiance graduated last July, he has been made redundant 3 times. The first time he was able to get another job a few weeks later but the second time he was unemployed for 6 months, then he got another job but it was only for a month and was made redundant again last week. In the industry he works in, in the last month two 'rival' companies went bust, and in N.I. there are only 4 companies of what he works in. Those other two companies only have the bosses working for them now just to keep the company running until more work comes along, but that could be months away, and even then, there is a lot of competition for those jobs there is no guarantee he will be employed again.It has been very tough, I have just graduated, so since January we had been living off my (very small) student loan, supporting my partner's daughter and my part time job didn't bring in a lot of money. At the start my fiance went to the job centre to try and get some support but they refused to give him anything, but eventually they did and he was able to get job seekers allowance but it was very little but better than nothing. He was applying for jobs everyday, going to recruitment centres, handing in CV's, application forms but nobody wanted to know, they said either he didn't have enough experience or was over qualified. It was really disheartening, and again he is back to applying for anything and everything but getting rejection letters daily. He eventually wants to be a lecturer in his degree subject but he needs to do his PhD, and although he was offered a place to do it, they didn't offer him funding so he is trying to work to save up money to do this but once he has some money saved he is made redundant and he has to start all over again. It's just a vicious circle at the minute with very little way out.I am going back to uni in Sept to do my PGCE, but trying to get a job over the summer has been impossible, nobody is interested, I have a job but it is only when they need me so only getting days here and there, not enough to pay rent and bills, let alone live off but it's better than nothing. Come September I don't know how we will cope if he doesn't have a job. I will be spending 8-4 in school, then the evenings doing my lesson plans for the next day and assignments for the course so I don't know when I will have time for a part time job but I know I will have to find something in the evenings.I can't say I am looking forward to the next year, part of me wants to say i'll give up on my PGCE and just get a job so we won't go through another year like last year but I don't want to delay it and the sooner I do it the sooner I can start teaching and have some financial stability but it's a tough decision, as yet I don't know if I have made the right decision to stick with it and just hope for the best but we will see lol

By the way, if teaching is what you want to do and you can survive perhaps by working evenings or something, I would say go for it - these are decisions that will make a difference over your whole life so try to stick with it. And should be quite stable.

I also had a good teacher - although at college not primary school - who quite literally changed my life by giving me an interest in politics which I now work in and am very interested in

Original Poster

magicjay1986

I am lucky that my job is very secure and as is my girlfriends. We don't … I am lucky that my job is very secure and as is my girlfriends. We don't take this for granted but we know how things are.

What sector do you work in?

I'm self-employed so although I don't have to worry about bosses and job cuts from above, I am dependent on my customers having the spare cash to afford lessons, which a lot of people are now seeing as a luxury and not a necessity. I am lucky at the moment as I'm extremely busy, but that could change overnight and I may have very little work as winter approaches - it's a constant worry, especially as my OH is disabled and cannot earn - even his DLA will be under review and may be taken away, leaving us with very little.

Supermod

Davidben83

What sector do you work in?

Legal.

My firm made some redundancies last year and I was not chosen. Whilst no one is irreplaceable, I try to go the extra mile to be seen as invaluable. It obviously works.

Thankfully not worried about mine, but I do feel bad for those who have been and will be affected.

I work for my mum, so currently I'm fine, but I don't like the job anymore (there's only so much smiling to old people an 18 year old can take) but scared of leaving, a because it's my Mum and don't want to leave her in a predicament and b the current job rate in the sector I want to pursue is practically none existant at the moment.

My daytime job is in finance,for a well known high st bank. Redundancies are rife and everyone is looking over their shoulder - even management.

On a plus side, my night time job is DJ-ing and karaoke presenting. This is keeping me more than busy and I've got more gigs than I can handle!

I'm being made redundant August 2011.

The company ,Bosch, is moving it's production to Hungary (70% cheaper on labour) and it's rumoured to be costing them around £450 million, what with redundancy pay and setup costs. They've even had to build thier own power plant. Just does't make sense to anyone.

I've been there there 19 years and I'm looking forward to a change tbh, although what I'm gonna do I have no idea yet. At least I've got a year to prepare.

not job happy at the moment, just finished being a student (the majority of my friends also haven't been able to find jobs),

and i'm on a year out to earn some cash for my postgrad, =[ not looking great right now

According to a report on BBC London news this morning...
    There are 32 applicants for every job in London according to recuitment agencies
    Reports just before the half hour

Banned

WoolyM

According to a report on BBC London news this morning...There are 32 … According to a report on BBC London news this morning...There are 32 applicants for every job in London according to recuitment agenciesReports just before the half hour

Too many people in this country.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. ❅☁☁❅ I want☼to talk☼about the☔WEATHER☔no politics☃no religion❅☁☁❅18846213
      2. Xbox One - Buying from Other Regions *WITH* A VPN (Virtual Private Network)49394
      3. How dangerous is Donald trump?31156
      4. Report online material promoting terrorism or extremism35

See more discussions