Found 31st Mar
Just got a smart switch but not sure how to wire it in

Many thanks 2918975-doPb1.jpg2918975-fLNNP.jpg
Community Updates
  1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
Top comments
By the looks of it you have a switch at each end of the room.

The blue is not a neutral and the yellow is not earth.

You won't be able to use the new switch without running a neutral down to the switch.

This I presume is your current setup -
33550386-VrlTx.jpg

Take my advice at your own risk as I'm but a feeble minded cabbage.
16 Comments
N is blue , L is red (or brown), the yellow one is problematic because you got earth (green yellow) dangling already. I'm not an electrician tho
Take a photo where you can see what the COM is and L1 and L2. Then match that in the new socket. Assuming that the socket already works as expected and your taking it off to replace it.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 31st Mar
Red to live, blue to neutral and yellow to L1. You don't need earth as it's plastic housing. Make sure though the red is live with tester then isolate it.
By the looks of it you have a switch at each end of the room.

The blue is not a neutral and the yellow is not earth.

You won't be able to use the new switch without running a neutral down to the switch.

This I presume is your current setup -
33550386-VrlTx.jpg

Take my advice at your own risk as I'm but a feeble minded cabbage.
33550389-P8MOA.jpg
ScubaDudes2 m ago

By the looks of it you have a switch at each end of the room.The blue is …By the looks of it you have a switch at each end of the room.The blue is not a neutral and the yellow is not earth. You won't be able to use the new switch without running a neutral down to the switch.This I presume is your current setup - [Image] Take my advice at your own risk as I'm but a feeble minded cabbage.

I agree with this statement, all the other above comments are wrong and don’t follow their advice.

get a sparky in if you don’t know
33550404-4uqT0.jpg
ScubaDudes35 m ago

By the looks of it you have a switch at each end of the room.The blue is …By the looks of it you have a switch at each end of the room.The blue is not a neutral and the yellow is not earth. You won't be able to use the new switch without running a neutral down to the switch.This I presume is your current setup - [Image] Take my advice at your own risk as I'm but a feeble minded cabbage.

This^^^^^^^ you need a neutral feed to the new light switch. You're asking how to wire it up on hukd, I would suggest you should get someone competent to do it for you (or buy a smart bulb)
Your smart switch won't work on your set up.

As others have said you have a two-way wired switch - all of the wires carry either a "Live2 or are "temporary off - or dead".

For the smart switch to work you need a live and a neutral - which you don't have at the light switch.
It might be the last one on a ring how can you tell it's not got a neutral on it my bathroom is switched like that it's got no second switch attach and also same in kitchen.
MynameisM13 m ago

It might be the last one on a ring how can you tell it's not got a neutral …It might be the last one on a ring how can you tell it's not got a neutral on it my bathroom is switched like that it's got no second switch attach and also same in kitchen.

That is two way switch wired with 3 core and earth cable (two-way cable).

A two way switch is wired with a permanent live (to the common if correctly wired). One of the L1 or L2 ports is live at any one time - when the switch is pressed it switches which one is live. So if either of these was wired to a neutral you would be connecting a live direct to a neutral which would result in quite a noticeable "bang" at the switch and the main consumer unit would trip.

Electrical work is controlled by law for a reason. Elements of it are allowed to be undertaken DIY - but even this requires "competent" persons - if you are not 100% sure that you no what you are doing then it is safer (and cheaper in the long run) to employ an electrician.
MynameisM1 h, 33 m ago

It might be the last one on a ring how can you tell it's not got a neutral …It might be the last one on a ring how can you tell it's not got a neutral on it my bathroom is switched like that it's got no second switch attach and also same in kitchen.

Fyi there is no such thing as the 'last one' on a ring. HTH.
Op....

33551328-xZUiN.jpg

After...

33551328-sHXMx.jpg
MynameisM1 h, 51 m ago

You should possibly refrain from giving information that is useless at best and misleading/dangerous at worst.
Shengis1 h, 3 m ago

Fyi there is no such thing as the 'last one' on a ring. HTH.

OK Mr electrics just a a mix up between a a switch and lighting no need get ur nickers in a twist.by the way I missed that yellow wire so yes that's definitely not same as my house.
Edited by: "MynameisM" 31st Mar
shadey1242 m ago

You should possibly refrain from giving information that is useless at …You should possibly refrain from giving information that is useless at best and misleading/dangerous at worst.

Hardly gave advice asked a question which has been answered which to me actually seems would be helpful to the op.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants