howdy doody, quick question if anyone's got a mo, re. moss

49 replies
Found 29th Apr 2009
ive just scraped all the moss out from between the block paving on the drive (looks lovely now :-)) and was just wondering if there is anything I can do to stop it coming back? sorry if thats a nutty question but not got greeny fingers

49 Comments

Nail varnish. It will cost a fortune though.

wont weed killer work? or going over it with a jet washer (dont know if you have one) every so often?

Original Poster

thesaint;5072987

Nail varnish. It will cost a fortune though.

cool, think clear would be best? :w00t: you fruit cake :-) :-D:-D:-D

Original Poster

lil_tiger;5072999

wont weed killer work? or going over it with a jet washer (dont know if … wont weed killer work? or going over it with a jet washer (dont know if you have one) every so often?

havn't got a jet wash (yet, putting it on list now) will put weedkiller down, do you think that'll stop it for long?

Original Poster

lil_tiger;5073025

or bleach...apparently … or bleach...apparently :?...http://www.tipking.co.uk/tip/5298.htmlAlthough apparently it doesnt stop it coming back

ha ha, this is as good as saints suggestion (playful harmless dig hun :thumbsup:) "Application on a cotton wool ball would be my guess."

michelleleemoo;5073026

havn't got a jet wash (yet, putting it on list now) will put weedkiller … havn't got a jet wash (yet, putting it on list now) will put weedkiller down, do you think that'll stop it for long?

I doubt anything will stop it for long to be honest....it always seems to find another way to return
Might just be a case of keeping ontop of it?

Original Poster

GAVINLEWISHUKD;5073033

]http://www.drivewayexpert.co.uk/weeds-moss-algae-paving.html

thanks for that, some good info on there, like its the seeds that get caught in the sand so regular sweeping etc (guess i'll just have to address my houskeeping practices hey :w00t::-D)

ive removed all of it for now so will put some weedkiller down too and sweep regular :thumbsup::thumbsup:

[SIZE="6"]thanks lovely's :thumbsup:[/SIZE]

could you make your paving into a rolling rock...

Original Poster

lil_tiger;5073084

I doubt anything will stop it for long to be honest....it always seems to … I doubt anything will stop it for long to be honest....it always seems to find another way to returnMight just be a case of keeping ontop of it?

^ ^ ^ but who sorts the moss out while Im doing that!!! haha :w00t:

We jet wash ours a couple of times a year and it to clean it and get rid of weeds, but be careful that you dont overdo it or the sand can wash away making the bricks un-even.

We find a small hand tool that digs out between the bricks useful, also a good strong weedkiller.

Original Poster

ctuk;5073123

could you make your paving into a rolling rock...

huh :?:thinking:

michelleleemoo;5073111

thanks for that, some good info on there, like its the seeds that get … thanks for that, some good info on there, like its the seeds that get caught in the sand so regular sweeping etc (guess[SIZE="3"] i'll just have to address my houskeeping practices [/SIZE]hey :w00t::-D)

Yes, totally agree with you love. :w00t:

Banned

from between? aint their supposed to be sand and cement between them

Original Poster

sassie;5073180

from between? aint their supposed to be sand and cement between them

no cement in between mine, just sand :?:?

To do the job properly I reckon you need to do the following:

Jet wash the block and get rid of the moss or if you've scraped it out your now left with a hole? This hole will attract dirt and soil and seeds to moss and weeds will grow back quite quickly.

When your blocks were laid probably many years ago you simply need to do what the people who laid it did. Fill the cracks with Silver or Kiln dried sand. Brush it and and if possible compact it. That way weeds wont grow back for some time.

Be careful about using any liquid on your drive unless you have tested a small portion. Bleach and other chemicals can stain your drive just as things like oil and cement can!

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;5073150

Yes, totally love you. :w00t:

:-D:p

Banned

michelleleemoo;5073194

no cement in between mine, just sand :?:?

so ok, im not to observant, missed the block paving bit :oops:

michelleleemoo;5073214

:-D:p

lol....course i do...but you know that

Original Poster

Fill the cracks with Silver or Kiln dried sand. Brush it and and if possible compact it. That way weeds wont grow back for some time.

good thinking batman :thumbsup::thumbsup: sounds like a good idea as now ive removed the moss there are gaps. Whats the relevance with the specific sand if I may ask? as ive got some sharp sand in the shed

Original Poster

sassie;5073223

so ok, im not to observant, missed the block paving bit :oops:

he he, dont worry hun, prob coz you were up late helping me last night too, you got me worried for a mo there tho, thought I was going to have to buy cement! :w00t: Thanks :):thumbsup:

Original Poster

StevenA2000_uk;5073226

lol....course i do...but you know that

[SIZE="1"]sssh, nobody knows Im the thai lady![/SIZE] :whistling:

Why don't you wash it down every now and then with some jeyes fluid?

Banned

michelleleemoo;5073261

he he, dont worry hun, prob coz you were up late helping me last night … he he, dont worry hun, prob coz you were up late helping me last night too, you got me worried for a mo there tho, thought I was going to have to buy cement! :w00t: Thanks :):thumbsup:

nah, its cause im as blind as a bat - lol

I had to do my patio with a jet wash, you would not believe the state i was in after, i was covered in the crap from head to foot, it needs doing again but im sorry to say it can chuffin well stay covered in moss

michelleleemoo;5073242
[SIZE="2"]Fill the cracks with [/SIZE]....

Yep, happy to. :w00t:

michelleleemoo;5073273
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"]sssh, nobody knows Im the thai lady![/SIZE] :whistling:
[/SIZE]

I know ;-)

Original Poster

sassie;5073328

nah, its cause im as blind as a bat - lolI had to do my patio with a jet … nah, its cause im as blind as a bat - lolI had to do my patio with a jet wash, you would not believe the state i was in after, i was covered in the crap from head to foot, it needs doing again but im sorry to say it can chuffin well stay covered in moss

ha ha, i literally sat on my butt and spent 2 hours scraping it, the noise did my nut in but must admit it looks so nice now, been in this house 2 years now and its my first time, what a tramp hey :-D:-D

and bella thanks for that, love the smell of jeyes :thumbsup::thumbsup:

and steven..................................trust you, and there will be no room once my cracks are full of sand!!!!

Can't remember what its called, but you need to buy the wedkiller stuf that kills off tree roots and keeps weds at bay for 6 months. Think they do it in Band Q and if I remember correctly, it's a smallish Jeyes Fliud type bottle that is red in colour. Hope this helps!

Original Poster

wackyjacky;5073382

Can't remember what its called, but you need to buy the wedkiller stuf … Can't remember what its called, but you need to buy the wedkiller stuf that kills off tree roots and keeps weds at bay for 6 months. Think they do it in Band Q and if I remember correctly, it's a smallish Jeyes Fliud type bottle that is red in colour. Hope this helps!

cheers wackyjacky :thumbsup:

Banned

lol i remember when i was living with a friend (Rent free) he had loads in his backgarden and my chore for the week was to clear the gaps .... So when i said ok what am i going to use, he hands me a spoon LOL

Original Poster

DangerGod;5073457

lol i remember when i was living with a friend (Rent free) he had loads … lol i remember when i was living with a friend (Rent free) he had loads in his backgarden and my chore for the week was to clear the gaps .... So when i said ok what am i going to use, he hands me a spoon LOL

hey you :):) I know what id' have handed you ;-).................. boom boom!

Banned

michelleleemoo;5073508

hey you :):) I know what id' have handed you ;-).................. boom … hey you :):) I know what id' have handed you ;-).................. boom boom!

lol hello you ..... oh please do tell your honour

Original Poster

DangerGod;5073527

lol hello you ..... oh please do tell your honour

ha @ yr honour (role play later ;-))

I'd

have

given

you

a

FORK!!!!!! :w00t:

Banned

Role play later? ooo ERRRRR

Fork? or change the OR for UC? ha :

Original Poster

DangerGod;5073609

Role play later? ooo ERRRRR ;)Fork? or change the OR for UC? ha :

actually now i think about it the spoon(ing) is not a bad idea after all whoo hoo!

DangerGod;5073609

Role play later? ooo ERRRRR ;)Fork? or change the OR for UC? ha :

lol ....sup amigo?

Banned

michelleleemoo;5073635

actually now i think about it the spoon(ing) is not a bad idea after all … actually now i think about it the spoon(ing) is not a bad idea after all whoo hoo!

your lucky i dont know what spooning means u tramp

Banned

StevenA2000_uk;5073638

lol ....sup amigo?

waiting for Arsenal

DangerGod;5073661

waiting for Arsenal

lol I was supposed to be watchin it with the lads....but I broke my nose today at Paintballing :-(

Original Poster

DangerGod;5073659

your lucky i dont know what spooning means u tramp

ouch, and for god's sake if you dont know what spooning you'd is better stay well clear of my utensils!!!
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. I just found out that I have been paying £65 p/m to sky for tv/broadband/la…89
    2. Google maps on Plusnet46
    3. GoPro Hero 5 Black33
    4. spam regarding paypal33

See more discussions