Posted 1st Oct 2021
Luckily my car's been topped up before so did not feel it too much, tried saving as much as possible but it's nearing the end now. Having driven past quite a few fuel pumps, there are either long queues, they are closed or I've heard from people at some stations, they waited they're turn to find out the station doesn't have their type of fuel.

any advice?
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment
Top comments
There is no fuel crisis.

There is no shortage of fuel.

There is only muppets believing the press who listened to what a BP Executive said to government on the Thursday meeting they usually have in which he said roughly, ‘in two weeks we might not have enough drivers to service our stations and the busiest 18 might have to close’.

The press then decided this was a fuel crisis across the whole sector which led to the aforementioned muppets loading up on fuel and using the toilet roll they purchased 18 months ago to soak up even more!

In answer to your question. I have coped fine, filled up twice this week from local stations with no queues and no limits on spend.

Remember, just cause it happened in London, doesn’t mean it happens everywhere else!
Edited by: "deleted2344480" 1st Oct 2021
45711984-iE1pM.jpg
81 Comments
  1. Avatar
    no problem where I live. All ok, plenty of fuel and people have actually been acting normal so no drama.
  2. Avatar
    There is no fuel crisis.

There is no shortage of fuel.

There is only muppets believing the press who listened to what a BP Executive said to government on the Thursday meeting they usually have in which he said roughly, ‘in two weeks we might not have enough drivers to service our stations and the busiest 18 might have to close’.

The press then decided this was a fuel crisis across the whole sector which led to the aforementioned muppets loading up on fuel and using the toilet roll they purchased 18 months ago to soak up even more!

In answer to your question. I have coped fine, filled up twice this week from local stations with no queues and no limits on spend.

Remember, just cause it happened in London, doesn’t mean it happens everywhere else!
    Edited by: "deleted2344480" 1st Oct 2021
  3. Avatar
    Thankfully we don't have a lot of essential trips to make so we've been okay.

Trying to walk around where possible and have removed those "I'll just pop out to the shops for x" trips.

Managed to fill up my car after getting down less than a quarter tank. We were on the M3 and saw that Fleet services had diesel. A bit pricey at 1.58/l but it's a one off.
  4. Avatar
    My car went into the red yesterday. Filled up in Tesco where there were no queues. Only two pumps had diesel, but all of them had petrol.
  5. Avatar
    psychobitchfromhell01/10/2021 12:11

My car went into the red yesterday. Filled up in Tesco where there were no …My car went into the red yesterday. Filled up in Tesco where there were no queues. Only two pumps had diesel, but all of them had petrol.

It does feel like now the hoarders have filled up their vessels, it's getting back to normal.
  6. Avatar
    Author
    I am not much of a panic person or focus too much on the news tbh but curious. In London, especially where I am, more or less the left lanes leading the fuel pumps are queued to a good half a mile if not more.
  7. Avatar
    dipsylalapo01/10/2021 12:12

It does feel like now the hoarders have filled up their vessels, it's …It does feel like now the hoarders have filled up their vessels, it's getting back to normal.

Completely agree. Sheep.
  8. Avatar
    Been Alright, luckily got tank full day before all this madness started.

No long trips planned so I guess it will be alright for few weeks until things go back to normal
  9. Avatar
    No worries near me plenty of fuel in stock and no queueing
  10. Avatar
    I was lucky I went on a 400 mile trip on Sunday the 19th September.
    On the way back I filled up.
    60 Litres full tank.
    That shuld give me 400-600 miles.
    Bit of luck it will be back to normal before I need more.
    My mate dropped of a passenger at an Asda with self service pumps.
    Only 2 in front of him.
    Had a £30 cut off limit.
    He put in £30 and tried the same card to fill again but rejected.
    Put in another card and topped off the tank.
  11. Avatar
    Author
    bigwheels01/10/2021 12:25

I was lucky I went on a 400 mile trip on Sunday the 19th September.On the …I was lucky I went on a 400 mile trip on Sunday the 19th September.On the way back I filled up.60 Litres full tank.That shuld give me 400-600 miles.Bit of luck it will be back to normal before I need more.My mate dropped of a passenger at an Asda with self service pumps.Only 2 in front of him.Had a £30 cut off limit.He put in £30 and tried the same card to fill again but rejected.Put in another card and topped off the tank.

There's always a way around
  12. Avatar
    I went to my local Sainsburys at 7:30am on Friday last week, even then I queued for 25 minutes before filling up.

I would have filled up the next day anyway after doing my weekly shop, does bringing it forward 36 hours classify as panic buying?
  13. Avatar
    Drove along South Wales on Wednesday, up to through the Valleys and back to west wales, all bar one station was open and very small queues.
  14. Avatar
    Panic buying is now over in Glasgow and managed to get diesel the other day!
  15. Avatar
    I live deep in the Norfolk countryside and have only 1 filling station within 8 miles. It hasn't has diesel for 10 days, and has been closed completely for 5 days. Drove into Norwich and petrol didn't seem to be too much of a problem, but couldn't see any diesel at all. Might have to use Shank's Pony for a while, will get me fitter anyway
  16. Avatar
    I've no petrol left in my car

Probably because it's electric

Switched at the right time i think.
  17. Avatar
    Just resorted to drinking whatever is on special at Lidl. Once the bottle is in the paper bag, no-one is any the wiser
  18. Avatar
    I'm flying back into Gatwick on Tuesday morning, and then have to drive up to Sheffield. There's about a third of a tank left in the car. Not sure whether to trek round the Crawley area to fill-up first, or get on the motorway with the assumption that the services will be better supplied and have less demand due to the higher price.
  19. Avatar
    m4rmite01/10/2021 13:03

I've no petrol left in my car Probably because it's electric I've no petrol left in my car Probably because it's electric Switched at the right time i think.

We've no Petrol or Electric in the car. Probably because it runs on autogas that lots of places other than garages sell so no queues.
  20. Avatar
    My biggest worry is that the inflated prices will become "normal" prices!
  21. Avatar
    No problem where I live or areas surrounding and that’s north wales
  22. Avatar
    I have about a 1/4 of a tank and the local Tesco either is closed because it's dry or lines of traffic around the block.
    We shop at 7am Monday mornings, so I'm hoping to fill up then as I have meeting 100 miles away at the end of next week!
  23. Avatar
    Managing exceptionally well. I don’t drive.
  24. Avatar
    spoo01/10/2021 12:39

I went to my local Sainsburys at 7:30am on Friday last week, even then I …I went to my local Sainsburys at 7:30am on Friday last week, even then I queued for 25 minutes before filling up.I would have filled up the next day anyway after doing my weekly shop, does bringing it forward 36 hours classify as panic buying?

lol - this was pretty much me except it was my local Tescos @ 08:30am.

I needed fuel as I was on red (honestly).

I'm hoping things settle down in the next few weeks when I will need to fill up again.
  25. Avatar
    Will the price crash after some time just like it happened with toilet papers?
  26. Avatar
    No queues at birmingham costco 9am yesterday and 130.7 for diesel
  27. Avatar
    No queue where I live either, seems strange it’s only seems certain places from the above comments
  28. Avatar
    The Shell across the road from me is still having long lines and a massive traffic jam which, in turn, is leading to constant honking. So while I don't have a car, the panic buying has added noise pollution to my neighbourhood.
  29. Avatar
    45711984-iE1pM.jpg
  30. Avatar
    Nr Wolverhampton in the West Midlands, no queues for the last few days, when been driving about
  31. Avatar
    They estimated with some fag packet maths on Newsnight that if everybody tried to fill their tanks at the start of the crisis, it could take 8 days to meet that demand, so the queues could start dying down this weekend:- bbc.co.uk/ipl…021 about 15 minutes in.
  32. Avatar
    Is there a fuel crisis?
    Oh OK, the 3x I've had to go I hadn't genuinely noticed.... Oh well
  33. Avatar
    I wonder what the next 'crisis' will be?

I'm predicting... sandwich food bags!
  34. Avatar
    Gollywood01/10/2021 15:12

I wonder what the next 'crisis' will be?I'm predicting... sandwich food …I wonder what the next 'crisis' will be?I'm predicting... sandwich food bags!

It'll be food in the run up to Christmas
  35. Avatar
    So long as there isn't a beer shortage I'll be ok.
  36. Avatar
    I down tools and filled up minutes after I heard news of potential shortages. I'm a pioneer panic buyer. What else can you do
  37. Avatar
    we seem to have a delayed reaction as this week seems to be when the stations have ran dry in our area and long queues have formed.

i really do think it is about time people stop buying petrol cars and switch to electric so that this dependency on hgv drivers and other people being in control is minimised.
  38. Avatar
    Gollywood01/10/2021 15:12

I wonder what the next 'crisis' will be?I'm predicting... sandwich food …I wonder what the next 'crisis' will be?I'm predicting... sandwich food bags!

it is going to be turkey. lucky for the turkeys as christmas is going to be cancelled this year.
  39. Avatar
    mutley101/10/2021 16:54

we seem to have a delayed reaction as this week seems to be when the …we seem to have a delayed reaction as this week seems to be when the stations have ran dry in our area and long queues have formed.i really do think it is about time people stop buying petrol cars and switch to electric so that this dependency on hgv drivers and other people being in control is minimised.

You do know there is a long term shortage of generation capacity, a major power interlink is down and will be at half capacity for a year, we are reliant on imported gas for electric generation, and with 9 energy supplies going bust in September, there could even be a shortage of energy suppliers in six months time when the cap on prices will get significantly hiked, so electric prices could be going through the roof.
    Edited by: "melted" 1st Oct 2021
  40. Avatar
    Doesnt appear to be much of a shortage up here (Scotland). Bloody media has a lot to answer for.
Post a comment
Top Merchants