How's your luck - Please post your historical travel woes.

Found 15th AprEdited by:"OllieSt"
My brother has had a wonderful family holiday in Thailand and Cambodia. Him, his wife and their 2 youngest kids.

I got there following Whatsapp message yesterday.

2926259.jpg
All of his cards etc were stolen.

The hotel wanted a photo of my card including the digits on the reverse.
I said no, but transferred some cash through to his daughter's debit card and all ok.

I woke up to this message.

2926259.jpg

My brother recognises he is at fault, and has explained to the airline he's recently been robbed blah blah blah. There is 2 flights a day from Cambodia to Heathrow with Thai Airlines and they are trying to see if they can get his family onboard the next available flight (in 8 hours time). However they don't expect much chance as the flights are apparently overbooked by up to 40 passengers on a regular basis. There's talk of a a cost involved of £400 to change the flights if they can. All they have guaranteed is lunchtime flights on the 19th. Extra cost £3,000.

I just spoke with my brother as I'm realistically his financial lifeline at the moment (he's checked in side of the airport - so no chance of Barclaycard being able to emergency assist).

Whilst I'm happy to assist, the price to be paid is that

2926259.jpg

So what nightmare travel stories has anyone got to share here.
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Mine sort of pales into insignificance compared to your woes, but picture a family of 13, sat around the villa pool on the first night of a Florida holiday, having a whale of a time, talking about our day at Magic Kingdom the next day. Even I was happy, and I'm a proper miserable git. Happy, that is, until I remembered that all the theme park tickets for all 13 of us, I think about £4k's worth, were still in the kitchen drawer. I could see them in my head, just lying there in a white envelope.

Fortunately, thanks to superb customer service from both Attraction-Tickets-Direct and the Orlando theme parks, they were all fully replaced by lunchtime the following day.

I still shiver when I think about the second it came into my head
12 Comments
Your a good brother i cant even top that i mean ive had missed flights but its been my fault lol heavy sleeper
33640598-evnts.jpg
Nope nothing to match that but that is super nice well done you.
Nothing to match that. Nearest I've had is 2 new cases smashed to pieces, probably whilst switching flights in Dallas. Suspect they were just thrown onto tarmac from hold as we weren't the only ones. Virgin replaced one case without arguing but not the other. Halfway home got a flat, drivers side rear on M40. Emptied boot to release spare then found wheel was seized to hub. 10 minutes under car beating it with the wheel brace with cars flying by in inside lane and as a highways officer arrived it came free. When I got home I found it was a stud from one of the damaged cases that had got stuck in the tyre.
Only other scare I had was when the brother on law dropped the wife and I at Gatwick South terminal. We waved him goodbye and then she said we were at the wrong terminal. No problem I said there's transport to the North terminal then she said it was terminal 3....
That was the last time I never checked tickets, but we did make it in time for the flight from Heathrow.
A bit of an update. It transpires that my brother and his family luggage are on the way to LHR on the flight he was told he couldn’t board. After speaking with the airline although he wasn’t 100% sure of regulations he thought that unattended luggage on a flight was against regulations. In any case he now has a boarding pass in his hand for him and his family. Thai Airways are not charging anything for the new flights, have offered to pay for food etc. He just needs to pay for 2 rooms for 2 x 4hrs session so they can stay at the airport and get some sleep.
liamf127 h, 23 m ago

Nothing to match that. Nearest I've had is 2 new cases smashed to pieces, …Nothing to match that. Nearest I've had is 2 new cases smashed to pieces, probably whilst switching flights in Dallas. Suspect they were just thrown onto tarmac from hold as we weren't the only ones. Virgin replaced one case without arguing but not the other. Halfway home got a flat, drivers side rear on M40. Emptied boot to release spare then found wheel was seized to hub. 10 minutes under car beating it with the wheel brace with cars flying by in inside lane and as a highways officer arrived it came free. When I got home I found it was a stud from one of the damaged cases that had got stuck in the tyre.Only other scare I had was when the brother on law dropped the wife and I at Gatwick South terminal. We waved him goodbye and then she said we were at the wrong terminal. No problem I said there's transport to the North terminal then she said it was terminal 3....That was the last time I never checked tickets, but we did make it in time for the flight from Heathrow.

It could never happen now. I remember boarding the wrong plane and only finding out when someone came to claim their seat. We had to disembark and run along outside of the terminal building to catch our correct plane. It's years ago and I'm unsure if it was St. Lucia or Caracas airport.

But my best story is a trip to Kenya with my brother. We spent a night in Niarobi with many others in a group. By the time we left Nairobi for a 7 day safari I had lost my passport and both flight tickets for our onward flight from Nairobi to the beach coastal resort and the return tickets back to London. Someone in the group had to look after the one key for a room that contained all the luggage held at the Niarobi hotel which we we're all coming back to after the safari to all go our separate ways. Yes, that was my responsibility.

Cut a long story short I managed to arrange to get my passport replaced (it was 30 odd years ago now - I can't remember the exact procedure) with the help of the tour operator, the tickets was a different matter. My mate who owned a travel agency who I had booked through hadn't paid the tour operator and the tour operator wouldn't issue replacement tickets until they were paid (that took days to sort out but it did happen).

On our return to Nairobi I couldn't find the key for the room. After 7 days in close proximity with the rest of our group we were already considered as the black sheep (I had more in common with our Tanzanian driver and a Rasta we met talking about Margaret Thatcher than I did with some Brits in the group who clearly got a buzz out of white man rules African man mentality). By the time the door was opened (this is Africa, time moves fast for no-one) it was 3 hours. Our connecting flight time from the airport to our beach resort was no problem. In fact we walked into the airport and pretty much boarded. Others were not so lucky.The people that were most incensed about me losing the key and the hotel not have a spare to hand were obviously those that had tight connection times. One couple in partiucular were very irate. As we went through to board the plane they were there looking at the flights board. They had missed their flight

The moral of the story. Don't travel with my brother. He's a nightmare
Edited by: "OllieSt" 15th Apr
Mine sort of pales into insignificance compared to your woes, but picture a family of 13, sat around the villa pool on the first night of a Florida holiday, having a whale of a time, talking about our day at Magic Kingdom the next day. Even I was happy, and I'm a proper miserable git. Happy, that is, until I remembered that all the theme park tickets for all 13 of us, I think about £4k's worth, were still in the kitchen drawer. I could see them in my head, just lying there in a white envelope.

Fortunately, thanks to superb customer service from both Attraction-Tickets-Direct and the Orlando theme parks, they were all fully replaced by lunchtime the following day.

I still shiver when I think about the second it came into my head
I once bought a cheap RTN ticket to to see some friends overseas, I had a great holiday and was out there for 3 weeks, went to the airport to fly home to discover that my rtn ticket was for a flight that didn't exist. I went to the embassy and they basically laughed so I decided it wasn't meant to be, went back to my mates house, ended up finding a job at a Dive shop, and staying for another 3 months.

That was a fantastic summer.
I recently went to London, the weather wasn't sunny and the streets weren't paved with gold.

#BoycottLondonForLife
left my wallet in hotel room safe in luang prabang Laos only found out when i arrived in bangkok
had to get hotel to courier it to the uk wek later left it in my local m&s and got it back
Usually involves taking my bike on the train something always seems to go wrong
(posted about the latest on kittys thread before being banned)

A couple of years ago looking for the 'bicycle compartment' as the train pulls in I can't see it but the woman with her bike confidently boards so follow her

Wrong carriage....
had to change carriages at the next station all aboard..

no phone/no internet ... for a two week holiday panic
have dropped on the platform

find the guard everything sorted phone been picked up just catch the next train back to pick it up
so only an extra two hours on the journey.
Moving house, had everything packed in the removal van except for clothes I needed for work as I was going in for
half a day . Running out the door at 5.30 in the morning and there are no shoes in sight ......ask my husband where
my shoes were and he says everything is on the van. Too late to open it and search for them so I am dressed in an office suit
heavy winter coat and pink fluffy slippers running to the station and of course halfway there it starts to pour with rain.
I get to the station , and its no joke trying to get up two steep flights of concrete steps in soaking wet slippers , and I get to the ticket office to find it closed and so are the doors leading to the platform ( small station one platform either side ) . There are
people waiting for the train so I poke my head thru the glass-less windows and ask how they got on there and they said they climbed thru the empty window frame ( this is south London in the 1980s ....) . So with their help I am dragged head first through the window frame as the train is pulling in..... so now I am soaking wet, ever so slightly embarrassed and have lost one slipper and I am looking like something that has slept under a hedge for a month.
Get to my destination hopping along trying not to ruin my tights ( that didn't work) and start to explain to the ticket inspector why I couldn't buy a ticket at the station - but he took one look at me and decided I was either a nutter or drunk and wanted my name and address so he could fine me. By this time I had lost the plot - one of those instances where u either burst into tears or hit someone and to hell with the consequences , but luckily the people who helped me get thru the window explained that the
station was not manned to the ticket inspector and he let me through. Got to work only to find that a power cut in our building
meant nothing was working and they had phoned my home to tell me not to bother to come in as I was moving that day .......but
I had already left.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants