HP 301 ink cartridges - few questions?

Found 29th May 2016
Hi all,

I have a HP Deskjet 3050A print/scan/copy machine. It's run out of ink.

I've looked online, and i'm struggling with the sheer amount of choice available!

Where to get the best price? (reputation of cheapness?!)
Online or high street? (presume online, but need it fairly soon!)
Do I want the standard or the XL version? (is it better value for money?)

Any advice from someone in the know would be very much appreciated!

Cheers!
Community Updates
AskHP
23 Comments
Hi the XL ones are better value make sure you buy genuine as others do not work. Amazon is usually cheapest for me.
we got ours in asda, sometimes they have decent offers on them
Original Poster

Hi the XL ones are better value make sure you buy genuine as others do … Hi the XL ones are better value make sure you buy genuine as others do not work. Amazon is usually cheapest for me.

we got ours in asda, sometimes they have decent offers on them

How much do you normally pay?
don't pay any more than £8.50 for normal ones. They are usually that in Wilko's
Original Poster

don't pay any more than £8.50 for normal ones. They are usually that in … don't pay any more than £8.50 for normal ones. They are usually that in Wilko's

Not worth going for the XL ones then?
I buy off ebay. The ones that say genuine. They come from channel islands but take 4 days
Apparently Asda own brand are labelled as guaranteed to work or your money back so may be worth trying. I bought a twin pack of HP 301 from Asda for about £16 a few months ago but will be trying Asda own label next.
Original Poster

Apparently Asda own brand are labelled as guaranteed to work or your … Apparently Asda own brand are labelled as guaranteed to work or your money back so may be worth trying. I bought a twin pack of HP 301 from Asda for about £16 a few months ago but will be trying Asda own label next.

£16 isn't bad. Looking at these XL ones around £30, which is better value apparently but a bit of a shock when the printer itself only cost me £39 haha
Got the same printer as you:) I always buy from Amazon, fast delivery, free over £20 and generally the cheapest
Wilkos £15 delivered to store for combo pack

wilko.com/pri…450

Edited by: "tje1978" 29th May 2016
Amazon are normally around £15 for the combo pack
Original Poster

Got the same printer as you:) I always buy from Amazon, fast delivery, … Got the same printer as you:) I always buy from Amazon, fast delivery, free over £20 and generally the cheapest

It's pretty decent eh?! Until now I need more ink obviously! Haha

Wilkos £15 delivered to store for combo pack … Wilkos £15 delivered to store for combo pack http://www.wilko.com/printers-and-printer-ink/ink-cartridge-combo-pack-hp-301-2-pack/invt/0409450

Cheers mate I'll have a look

Amazon are normally around £15 for the combo pack

Likewise, will have a check. Thanks
Hi,

Printers and ink are like the razor sales model. Sell a cheap printer, charge alot for the ink. Personally i moved away from the 301 as i found it hard to find cheap value ink and instead moved to the hp business printers. Yes you pay £100 for the printer but the inks last alot longer.

If you are content to stay, i would recommend using genuine ink as opposed to third party. It depends on your printer also. Most of them you are just buying a replacement ink cartridge and not the actual print head like the old HP cartridges. Therfore if you dont use your printer often you will find they dry out alot more. Cheaper inks 'may' therefore dry out quicker, be an inferiour quality and not last. If you are printing high volume, change to a hp business printer! If you are printing high quality photos, buy an epson, if you just want the odd a4 document, stick with your one.

You sm find the csrtridges on amazon, then save the details on camelcamelcamel price tracker to alert yo when cheaper and buy more. However stock piling csn be dangerous if your printer breaks and HP has moved on! I only ever have one set spare and just order a new one after use.

Also consider ebay but know the price of a genuine before buying. Look for the expiry date in the description. Also staples and other places give you £1 back on a cartridge recycled.

There is also the HP instant ink scheme which is a subscription model for the number of pages printed but you dont pay for the ink and postage. Just buy say 100 pages a month for £1.99 a month. Cancel anytime. This maybe more flexible for you.

Or if doing bulk, have a look at the new epson printer with refillable ink reservoirs that are extremely cost effective after the initial printer purchase.

Or if doing black and white, consider a cheap laser printer!

Original Poster

Hi, Printers and ink are like the razor sales model. Sell a cheap … Hi, Printers and ink are like the razor sales model. Sell a cheap printer, charge alot for the ink. Personally i moved away from the 301 as i found it hard to find cheap value ink and instead moved to the hp business printers. Yes you pay £100 for the printer but the inks last alot longer. If you are content to stay, i would recommend using genuine ink as opposed to third party. It depends on your printer also. Most of them you are just buying a replacement ink cartridge and not the actual print head like the old HP cartridges. Therfore if you dont use your printer often you will find they dry out alot more. Cheaper inks 'may' therefore dry out quicker, be an inferiour quality and not last. If you are printing high volume, change to a hp business printer! If you are printing high quality photos, buy an epson, if you just want the odd a4 document, stick with your one. You sm find the csrtridges on amazon, then save the details on camelcamelcamel price tracker to alert yo when cheaper and buy more. However stock piling csn be dangerous if your printer breaks and HP has moved on! I only ever have one set spare and just order a new one after use. Also consider ebay but know the price of a genuine before buying. Look for the expiry date in the description. Also staples and other places give you £1 back on a cartridge recycled.There is also the HP instant ink scheme which is a subscription model for the number of pages printed but you dont pay for the ink and postage. Just buy say 100 pages a month for £1.99 a month. Cancel anytime. This maybe more flexible for you.Or if doing bulk, have a look at the new epson printer with refillable ink reservoirs that are extremely cost effective after the initial printer purchase.Or if doing black and white, consider a cheap laser printer!

Wow, brilliant answer.

Well, I was contemplating getting a similarly priced printer which isn't much more that the twin pack of XL cartridges, as a new one will come filled with ink and also give me a new 12 month warranty at least too, more recent model of similar printer too.

I don't print enough to justify a £100 purchase nor would I benefit from the monthly ink option, as I probably print 50-100 pages per year, never mind per month!

I had a glance at this kind of thing... hotukdeals.com/dea…665

Christ, didn't think a printer would be this complicated! Haha
Banned
I was in the same shoes.
now I have a tonner printer £40 colour, with free 1500 pages ink
now work out your maths.

I returned my HP to Argos as I bought the 3 year warranty, so got £30 back from them and added a £10 for this.
the deal was posted here. but keep looking
I have that printer and just bought two 301 cartridges from Sainsburys which were buy one get one half price. Bloomin rip off but would prefer to get them from a shop than online. Wilkos is always a good price but bit far away for me.
Original Poster

I have that printer and just bought two 301 cartridges from Sainsburys … I have that printer and just bought two 301 cartridges from Sainsburys which were buy one get one half price. Bloomin rip off but would prefer to get them from a shop than online. Wilkos is always a good price but bit far away for me.

How much did that come in at?
Original Poster

I was in the same shoes. now I have a tonner printer £40 colour, with … I was in the same shoes. now I have a tonner printer £40 colour, with free 1500 pages ink now work out your maths. I returned my HP to Argos as I bought the 3 year warranty, so got £30 back from them and added a £10 for this. the deal was posted here. but keep looking

Pretty much what I was thinking. No brainer for you with the return but my warranty has expired long ago so it would be a new purchase for me. Need to give it some thought.

How much did that come in at?

£13 each then minus £6.50 for buy one get one half price. £19.50, but only for black ink as we no longer use the coloured ink.
Edited by: "joesmum" 30th May 2016
I have the hp 350 black and 351 colour. Very slightly different to yours however... I fill the black myself but don't bother filling the colour as to difficult. I just reveal one of the 5 holes under cartridge label and shoot in 10ml of black for the xl. Don't push into foam sponge inner more than about 3mm. That's it. I don't bother with the kit attachments and sucking air through jets. Just fill and put back in printer.. If you want to buy new then stay away from anything but brand new genuine cartridges. I buy them from eBay as unused original cartridges seems to be ready avalible from folks whos printers have died, but they have loads of unused hp ink cartridges. If I find the my current cartridge plays up or dried up before I filled I have a few ready good to go. I never pay more than half retail price for sealed new genuine hp cartridges. I could never get the compatible ones to work and wasted my money trying. My current black cartridge has been filled several times over the last 3+ years with a £5 black ink kit. Still have half a bottle of ink.
Original Poster

I have the hp 350 black and 351 colour. Very slightly different to yours … I have the hp 350 black and 351 colour. Very slightly different to yours however... I fill the black myself but don't bother filling the colour as to difficult. I just reveal one of the 5 holes under cartridge label and shoot in 10ml of black for the xl. Don't push into foam sponge inner more than about 3mm. That's it. I don't bother with the kit attachments and sucking air through jets. Just fill and put back in printer.. If you want to buy new then stay away from anything but brand new genuine cartridges. I buy them from eBay as unused original cartridges seems to be ready avalible from folks whos printers have died, but they have loads of unused hp ink cartridges. If I find the my current cartridge plays up or dried up before I filled I have a few ready good to go. I never pay more than half retail price for sealed new genuine hp cartridges. I could never get the compatible ones to work and wasted my money trying. My current black cartridge has been filled several times over the last 3+ years with a £5 black ink kit. Still have half a bottle of ink.

Pretty sure it would end hilariously terribly if tried the refilling option myself mate! Haha
JusticeForThe96

Pretty sure it would end hilariously terribly if tried the refilling … Pretty sure it would end hilariously terribly if tried the refilling option myself mate! Haha

​Yes I guess. I did shoot black ink you the kitchen wall some years ago while preparing to fill ink. Lol.
Original Poster

​Yes I guess. I did shoot black ink you the kitchen wall some years ago w … ​Yes I guess. I did shoot black ink you the kitchen wall some years ago while preparing to fill ink. Lol.

Haha exactly mate
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions