Hp envy 6230 help needed

Posted 10th Jul
I have had major problems getting my printer to work properly with windows 10 wirelessly. It would work one day and not the next. I have now connected it with a usb cable to my pc. It works fine but does this mean I can’t print wirelessly from my phone anymore?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

12 Comments
I've seen this problem loads - I'd bet that it is getting its ip address through dhcp, and it keeps getting different IP addresses.

See if you can tell your router to always give it the same IP address, or change the printer set up to have a static ip address instetad of using dhcp.
It was set as a static ip address but it still failed to print. Also it would scan one day then the next day tell me I needed to install the drivers. It was fine with windows 7
Pilsbury1210/07/2020 15:39

It was set as a static ip address but it still failed to print. Also it …It was set as a static ip address but it still failed to print. Also it would scan one day then the next day tell me I needed to install the drivers. It was fine with windows 7

Can’t help, but I can sympathise. Same problem here. Windows 7 everything was straightforward and worked. With Windows 10, constantly losing other computers and printers off the network.
With regards to printing from your phone - no, this will not be affected by the USB connection to your computer. You should still be able to print wirelessly from your phone.
Edited by: "edanfalls" 10th Jul
edanfalls10/07/2020 16:02

With regards to printing from your phone - no, this will not be affected …With regards to printing from your phone - no, this will not be affected by the USB connection to your computer. You should still be able to print wirelessly from your phone.

Any ideas how. When I try the option isn’t there anymore for print. Do I need to set something up on the printer? At moment it is showing wireless isn’t on. If I turn it on will that contradict with the fact I need it to run wired for pc. Sorry. As u can tell I don’t have a clue about these things.
edanfalls10/07/2020 16:02

With regards to printing from your phone - no, this will not be affected …With regards to printing from your phone - no, this will not be affected by the USB connection to your computer. You should still be able to print wirelessly from your phone.

Pardon my ignorance, but how would that work? It was my understanding that the printer will only work on wireless mode when there is no direct USB connection. Otherwise it just connects to the computer you’ve connected it to. Unless you connect your printer to a router that will show up on the network. In which case the printer’s own wireless mode is still not doing anything but the router is. So you could then find the printer that way, whether that would work on a given phone I don’t know.

I’m assuming the phone printing is done connecting directly to the printer itself, not through any other network devices.

I’ve done something similar on windows 7 with a non-wireless printer, connected printer direct to PC 1, but because PC 2 and Laptop were on the same network, they could still access the printer. But on Windows 10 I have enough trouble just finding other computers on the same network.
Edited by: "PAISAL" 10th Jul
Pilsbury1210/07/2020 16:07

Any ideas how. When I try the option isn’t there anymore for print. Do I n …Any ideas how. When I try the option isn’t there anymore for print. Do I need to set something up on the printer? At moment it is showing wireless isn’t on. If I turn it on will that contradict with the fact I need it to run wired for pc. Sorry. As u can tell I don’t have a clue about these things.

What model is it exactly? Maybe yours doesn’t support WiFi direct printing. I thought all models that support mobile printing also supplier WiFi direct printing (which means the phone and printer can communicate directly via WiFi instead of through the router), but perhaps yours doesn’t.

Edit: Also what phone are you printing from? I know that AirPrint supports WiFi Direct but maybe others don’t.
PAISAL10/07/2020 16:12

Pardon my ignorance, but how would that work? It was my understanding that …Pardon my ignorance, but how would that work? It was my understanding that the printer will only work on wireless mode when there is no direct USB connection. Otherwise it just connects to the computer you’ve connected it to. Unless you connect your printer to a router that will show up on the network. In which case the printer’s own wireless mode is still not doing anything but the router is. So you could then find the printer that way, whether that would work on a given phone I don’t know.I’m assuming the phone printing is done connecting directly to the printer itself, not through any other network devices.I’ve done something similar on windows 7 with a non-wireless printer, connected printer direct to PC 1, but because PC 2 and Laptop were on the same network, they could still access the printer. But on Windows 10 I have enough trouble just finding other computers on the same network.

As you say, usually mobile printing is done by communicating with the printer which is connected to the router. But when USB connection (and therefore the printer is not on your network), you can use WiFi Direct which communicates directly with the printer via WiFi.

It depends on whether OP’s printer supports it (I thought all the ENVY printers do) and I guess the phone has to be compatible too? But I would imagine all modern phones can do WiFi Direct.
Pilsbury1210/07/2020 16:07

Any ideas how. When I try the option isn’t there anymore for print. Do I n …Any ideas how. When I try the option isn’t there anymore for print. Do I need to set something up on the printer? At moment it is showing wireless isn’t on. If I turn it on will that contradict with the fact I need it to run wired for pc. Sorry. As u can tell I don’t have a clue about these things.

Sorry I’ve just seen you already listed the model on the title! According to the HP specs, it supports WiFi Direct printing so it should work, as long as your phone supports it. If it’s an iPhone it definitely does.
edanfalls10/07/2020 16:31

Sorry I’ve just seen you already listed the model on the title! According t …Sorry I’ve just seen you already listed the model on the title! According to the HP specs, it supports WiFi Direct printing so it should work, as long as your phone supports it. If it’s an iPhone it definitely does.

Yes it supports WiFi printing. It was about the only thing that did work on it. I use an iPhone 8 but for some reason the printer no longer shows up in my phone. Got hp app on it and also airprint but nothing happens. Do I need to do something to printer now that it is connected wired.
Pilsbury1210/07/2020 16:37

Yes it supports WiFi printing. It was about the only thing that did work …Yes it supports WiFi printing. It was about the only thing that did work on it. I use an iPhone 8 but for some reason the printer no longer shows up in my phone. Got hp app on it and also airprint but nothing happens. Do I need to do something to printer now that it is connected wired.

Ah, you have to set up the connection to the printer's Wi-Fi Direct network first. There are instructions here for it under the "Apple iPhones and iPads" tab:
support.hp.com/gb-…030
edanfalls10/07/2020 16:49

Ah, you have to set up the connection to the printer's Wi-Fi Direct …Ah, you have to set up the connection to the printer's Wi-Fi Direct network first. There are instructions here for it under the "Apple iPhones and iPads" tab:https://support.hp.com/gb-en/document/c04577030

Thank you. I will try it this evening. I assumed it would just work because it’s the same printer and the same phone as I used on it yesterday before I changed to wired.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants