HP instant ink problems - Cartridge cannot be used until printer is enrolled - error message

Posted 1st Apr 2020
Hi, I enrolled a new printer in december for instant ink, but have only be using the supplied stock cartridges until march. I have now installed the instant ink carts but the printer says not enrolled, even though it is.

I have been onto live chat last week who after going through factory reset and all other checks, sent me out more new cartridges. Fitted them today and its still the same.

Logging on the instant ink page and printer is showing enrolled but looking on the printer display and it says printer needs to be enrolled.

Can anyone suggest anything else?.
Community Updates
New Comment

29 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    You may not initially see this comment as helpful but I assure you it is quite, quite genuine

Get a Brother printer to save money. There are normally cashback deals from brother, cashbacks on TCB etc with Currys and deals in many stores. They have an excellent range. Works perfectly well on inks from Firstcallinks at 35% of the Brother cost. No big brother (no pun intended) monitoring of what you are doing

I have had an MFCJ5930DW for 2 years. It replaced another Brother printer which I sold for 50% of the cost of thee new one. I also got cashback. (edited)
    My brother had this issue. Literally yanking power and put it back on sorted it. Also check that it has an internet connection
    Can you reset the printer settings
    You need to turn on web services on the printer sounds like its been turned off so losing connection with HP account
    Can you see history of the number of pages printed every month? Just checking the printer is talking to hp. Can you print something from tablet or phone ok to prove printer is on network and working fine
    Author
    Polar101/04/2020 19:03

You need to turn on web services on the printer sounds like its been …You need to turn on web services on the printer sounds like its been turned off so losing connection with HP account

Web services is turned on.

I've done some many resets and re enabling Web services. 😔
    Ok.. question... your printer needs to be connected to the WiFi. Don't use printer cable. You should have email address for printer. I'm thinking you haven't setup your printer to be wireless. I can't remember how I set mine up but from memory I downloaded the hp printer software and run that... I don't need a PC to print. I can print documents from mobile phone with the hp phone app. easy. Go watch YouTube on how to setup as that may help. (edited)
    Ive been having the exact same problem since march. i actually want to kill someone. 3 sets of instant ink theyve sent out but no fix. my husband is an IT consultant and cant see anything wrong and questions some of the things ive had to do 100 times with hp support. printer worked fine before it.
    omg :0 i have excatly the same problem. Today ink come from hp and i print 10 pages and this issues start... Now i need wait for monday to contact hp help
    I have the same problem! 2hours with HP support to no avail... how did you solve this?
    Author
    ccnp01/04/2020 15:09

You may not initially see this comment as helpful but I assure you it is …You may not initially see this comment as helpful but I assure you it is quite, quite genuineGet a Brother printer to save money. There are normally cashback deals from brother, cashbacks on TCB etc with Currys and deals in many stores. They have an excellent range. Works perfectly well on inks from Firstcallinks at 35% of the Brother cost. No big brother (no pun intended) monitoring of what you are doingI have had an MFCJ5930DW for 2 years. It replaced another Brother printer which I sold for 50% of the cost of thee new one. I also got cashback.

I do have a Brother laser printer as our main printer which has been faultless for around 7 years. I bought this one purely for the daughter to hammer while doing her home work
    Author
    junitrules01/04/2020 16:18

My brother had this issue. Literally yanking power and put it back on …My brother had this issue. Literally yanking power and put it back on sorted it. Also check that it has an internet connection

Unfortunately tried that already but thanks anyway.
    Author
    dorey6901/04/2020 18:52

Can you reset the printer settings

I've already done a reset and it's still the same.
    Author
    wayners01/04/2020 19:39

Can you see history of the number of pages printed every month? Just …Can you see history of the number of pages printed every month? Just checking the printer is talking to hp. Can you print something from tablet or phone ok to prove printer is on network and working fine

The history is zero prints as I've never been able to print using instant ink.

I can connect to the printer using a pc on the instant ink webpage and the printer is showing as "online“ and printer is enabled.

I can see the printer using the app but won't print as it says needs enabling.
    R
    Author
    wayners01/04/2020 21:02

Ok.. question... your printer needs to be connected to the WiFi. Don't use …Ok.. question... your printer needs to be connected to the WiFi. Don't use printer cable. You should have email address for printer. I'm thinking you haven't setup your printer to be wireless. I can't remember how I set mine up but from memory I downloaded the hp printer software and run that... I don't need a PC to print. I can print documents from mobile phone with the hp phone app. easy. Go watch YouTube on how to setup as that may help.

Yes, I could do all you've mentioned with this printer when using the out the box ink. The printer has only ever been used over wifi, and had no problems with enrolling on with instant ink. The problems started as soon as I put my first instant ink carts in. It says on the printer screen that the printer is not enrolled on instant ink but logging on the web interface says the printer is enrolled and showing correct email address and serial number.
    Author
    40256227-s56z8.jpg40256227-8qxdt.jpg
    Its a free trial but if you print over 300 a month you would be charged so that counter starts from the moment you put in your first ink cartridges, which are instant ink cartridges. Do you still have them? maybe the person selling you the printer swapped the cartridges and you have been printing using standard non instant ink cartridges and have not actually been using the instant ink services at all. Your account should be showing the cartridges are inserted and how much ink is in them. If the original cartridges were not recognised as instant ink your claim code may be expired and your account was never properly activated. Search HP help re claim code
    Author
    Polar102/04/2020 10:14

Its a free trial but if you print over 300 a month you would be charged so …Its a free trial but if you print over 300 a month you would be charged so that counter starts from the moment you put in your first ink cartridges, which are instant ink cartridges. Do you still have them? maybe the person selling you the printer swapped the cartridges and you have been printing using standard non instant ink cartridges and have not actually been using the instant ink services at all. Your account should be showing the cartridges are inserted and how much ink is in them. If the original cartridges were not recognised as instant ink your claim code may be expired and your account was never properly activated. Search HP help re claim code

I bought it from currys and box was sealed. I still have the original non instant ink carts (emply) and another set of instant ink plus another set of instant ink that support sent out.

Just spent another 2 hours on live chat going through the standard set up procedure and resets, which didn't work the other multiple times either.

I was just hoping someone on here would know a fix for this particular fault.
    Author
    On the verge of giving up. All support have done today is ordered another set ok inks to replace the ones I fitted from them yesterday for the same issue.
    Account history will show the date when you enrolled the printer, does that show? you should also see the following months after that too.
    When signing up to instant ink the cartridges that come with the printer activate the instant ink trial offer and the number of sheets printed will begin to register. If it printed without counting the pages in your account then it has been printing as a stand alone printer and you have not been using the instant ink service at all. Putting in instant ink cartridges now is not activating the trial and HP is blocking your printer from using the instant ink service. If registered correctly you should have received a printer email address and a printer claim code, did you get those? The claim code enrolls the printer.
    Have you checked your payment details and your device date and country settings are all UK correct. What happens when you click the enrol/replace printer link?
    HP Help should be able to close this account and let you re-enroll the printer from scratch, giving you a new printer email address and claim code. Odd that they are not doing that.
    Author
    Polar102/04/2020 15:16

Account history will show the date when you enrolled the printer, does …Account history will show the date when you enrolled the printer, does that show? you should also see the following months after that too. When signing up to instant ink the cartridges that come with the printer activate the instant ink trial offer and the number of sheets printed will begin to register. If it printed without counting the pages in your account then it has been printing as a stand alone printer and you have not been using the instant ink service at all. Putting in instant ink cartridges now is not activating the trial and HP is blocking your printer from using the instant ink service. If registered correctly you should have received a printer email address and a printer claim code, did you get those? The claim code enrolls the printer. Have you checked your payment details and your device date and country settings are all UK correct. What happens when you click the enrol/replace printer link?HP Help should be able to close this account and let you re-enroll the printer from scratch, giving you a new printer email address and claim code. Odd that they are not doing that.

Printer was enrolled 28th Dec but up until March I was just using the supplied standard ink carts. I have a total of 5 months free instant ink but this hasn't even begun yet, even after putting instant ink in.

Support don't seem interested in getting to the bottom of it, it's easier to just send out more instant ink carts that I can't use.

Yes all payment details and registration details are correct.

I think you're right about the trial not being triggered and HP blocking the printer.

I did enter the printer claim code on the website and it submitted as expected.

I can also use the enable/replace option with a newly issued printer code, which it accepts but doesn't make it work.

Yes, if they couldn't close the account down and reapply the free months of instant ink to a new account, that would be great. Trouble at the moment its very limited support and I'm stuck in a loop with them of going through basic setup and sending new ink out when that fails.
    Touch the printer screen. Should light up. Bottom left symbol should give web services like your printer email address. 123@hpeprint.com and status: connected...Hp eprint on...if not use printer screen to run the setup wizard.Hunt around its there (edited)
    Author
    wayners02/04/2020 19:39

Touch the printer screen. Should light up. Bottom left symbol should give …Touch the printer screen. Should light up. Bottom left symbol should give web services like your printer email address. 123@hpeprint.com and status: connected...Hp eprint on...if not use printer screen to run the setup wizard.Hunt around its there

I've must have toggled Web services 100 times over the past couple of weeks.

I suspect there is some sort of block on my printer or account from using instant ink at their end but the only support available are limited to basic set up help.
    Yeah. Seems you have tried everything. I've got one last idea. Will pm..
    Ah. reading up only the HP instant ink, only the cartridges that they post to you have a chip that will work with your account. If you used the cartridges that came with printer then they won't report to hp instant ink. You can print with them but they are not linked to your account. You should of swapped when the new larger ink cartridges came in post with the chip in. Some people swap cartridges and print but that don't count with page allowance so can print loads, then put instant ink cartridges back in when done so back to their page allowance. Bin the original cartridges. uninstall all the hp software on pc. Remove printer from devices. Start again with setup using you details for account. Problem was you've stuck with original cartridges so instant ink monitoring never started. Your printer has never been on the instant ink account. That's what I think.
    Author
    deleted250411525/05/2020 15:06

Ive been having the exact same problem since march. i actually want to kill …Ive been having the exact same problem since march. i actually want to kill someone. 3 sets of instant ink theyve sent out but no fix. my husband is an IT consultant and cant see anything wrong and questions some of the things ive had to do 100 times with hp support. printer worked fine before it.

I finally got sorted after I was sent a new printer. I had more luck using phone support rather than the other options. In total I got sent 6 sets of instant ink, they seem to like sending ink out as a way of fobbing you off.

Good luck (edited)
    Did you install both cartridge or just one what they send to you ? I mean they send to me black and colour but because only black was finished i change only black...
    Author
    TheConfax12/02/2021 19:59

@ScubaDudes I have the same problem! 2hours with HP support to no avail... …@ScubaDudes I have the same problem! 2hours with HP support to no avail... how did you solve this?

They eventually sent a replacement printer which resolved the issue.
's avatar