HP laptops

Found 12th Aug
I have owned a samsung, toshiba and lenovo laptops but only ever had HP laptop from work, which I only used occasionally so I don't really have much experience of HP.

I was under the impression that HP laptops are not reliable as the other names above. Can someone who has experience of HP advise me on whether HP is a reliable laptop, that is, is HP a good make?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
not every laptop from a brand is the same so shockingly a bit pointless question
google surprising answers this question in general terms though
20 Comments
I always recommend Dell. Solid and reliable
Sim6 m ago

I always recommend Dell. Solid and reliable

i am aware that dell laptops are good quality but they are on the pricey side when compared to the others. i have seen a lot of hp laptop deals so tempted to get one but have little experience of hp laptops in terms of reliability.
mutley12 m ago

i am aware that dell laptops are good quality but they are on the pricey …i am aware that dell laptops are good quality but they are on the pricey side when compared to the others. i have seen a lot of hp laptop deals so tempted to get one but have little experience of hp laptops in terms of reliability.

Take a look at the outlet.

same warranty, and often as new but big discounts

m.dell.com/h5/…%3d
Sim4 m ago

Take a look at the outlet.same warranty, and often as new but big …Take a look at the outlet.same warranty, and often as new but big discountshttp://m.dell.com/h5/m/uk/InventorySearch?c=uk&cs=ukdfh1&l=en&s=dfh&brandid=7&sign=PXhcOSHtr1T4IOw%2fPR7UddrQLo1NRMmp2BGs26ENS0dtUI%2b%2b95Ef6fITWNw1YDsqWM603wUmpyPZwkxznTu8InpEKx2eRBw1kCelc2aFdtJTiNkamGDzgsLXM1otJ4un4QGOqqmwQfbGVmVWaplHAWarIXKVW6QSzMx1Sfmrl9FQnWp5GGg3%2fk%2fW6S2DJfI8LUaMp8Hu%2fW%2fWMELO3VfTkUaEFBQ7L5zdHYuPsefgB%2bjWAufdONB7VESmvAuqN%2bVWoBlX9UJ0yANsNnQ57w9okg%3d%3d

they are all refurbished stuff? i prefer to buy new.
mutley12 m ago

they are all refurbished stuff? i prefer to buy new.

Some are refurbished, but often they can be cancelled orders, or damaged boxes etc. Check each listing.

I’ve had 3 for work and not had issues with any of them. Always get much better spec for the money.
not every laptop from a brand is the same so shockingly a bit pointless question
google surprising answers this question in general terms though
deeky1 m ago

Careful, that's what I said and it was removed along with a warning to …Careful, that's what I said and it was removed along with a warning to respect other members

mutley hasn't said which model of laptop so google is only answer
historical ownership is irrelevant to current standards as well anyway
it would be respectful to google first before asking the forum googleable questions surely
My workplace changed to a hp estate from a dell recently and a lot more repairs are being carried out now.

Personally I love the e5270 it's so easy to repair.

ifixit.com/Device/Dell_Latitude_E5270

This also applies to most latitude laptops made between 2011 - 2016.

OP don't be picky and rule out refurbs. The speed of processors inside home machines hasn't changed over the last 8 years. They have just got more energy efficient.
Edited by: "mogsog" 12th Aug
mogsog22 m ago

My workplace changed to a hp estate from a dell recently and a lot more …My workplace changed to a hp estate from a dell recently and a lot more repairs are being carried out now.Personally I love the e5270 it's so easy to repair.ifixit.com/Device/Dell_Latitude_E5270This also applies to most latitude laptops made between 2011 - 2016.OP don't be picky and rule out refurbs. The speed of processors inside home machines hasn't changed over the last 8 years. They have just got more energy efficient.

do you think that it is value for money to pay an extra £70 for i5-7200U instead of i3-7100U or would you say that the i3 is fine?
As others have said it it can vary widely model to model. In general terms I would look more towards what I use in work as using cira 40 hours per week 5 days a week is much more than my home laptop would ever see. We used to be HP and I liked mine so much I bought it from work for personal use when mine was due a change. We have changed to a Lenovo estate and within a year mine has had 2 keyboards replacements. Before that Dell and HP both had zero issues.
mutley11 h, 5 m ago

do you think that it is value for money to pay an extra £70 for i5-7200U …do you think that it is value for money to pay an extra £70 for i5-7200U instead of i3-7100U or would you say that the i3 is fine?

On a £1500 laptop? Absolutely. On a £350 laptop? No way, there are much more effective improvements you could have for £70.

It's difficult to talk in generalities without knowing what sort of laptop you're looking at.
brilly2 h, 1 m ago

mutley hasn't said which model of laptop so google is only …mutley hasn't said which model of laptop so google is only answerhistorical ownership is irrelevant to current standards as well anywayit would be respectful to google first before asking the forum googleable questions surely

...or simply ask those responsible for laptop requisition, maintenance, & support 'from work'.
I had a HP consumer model and the hinge broke, so screen was malfunctioning. I sold it on eBay for £100.

I then bought a Dell 2-1 refurbished and it keeps working even if a friend cracked the screen.

My partner is using an old HP Elitebook (business model) that was bought used and then used by my sister and it works fine still. Business models are solid.
EndlessWaves51 m ago

On a £1500 laptop? Absolutely. On a £350 laptop? No way, there are much m …On a £1500 laptop? Absolutely. On a £350 laptop? No way, there are much more effective improvements you could have for £70.It's difficult to talk in generalities without knowing what sort of laptop you're looking at.

i am looking at these two, and don't know which one is the better value?

johnlewis.com/hp-…=48

johnlewis.com/hp-…=48
mutley15 h, 47 m ago

do you think that it is value for money to pay an extra £70 for i5-7200U …do you think that it is value for money to pay an extra £70 for i5-7200U instead of i3-7100U or would you say that the i3 is fine?

They are both 7th gen 14nm lithography, the 70 would be better spent on a ssd if it does not come with one IMHO.
Edited by: "mogsog" 12th Aug
mutley15 h, 54 m ago

i am looking at these two, and don't know which one is the better …i am looking at these two, and don't know which one is the better value?https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-pavilion-14-bf016na-laptop-intel-core-i3-8gb-ram-256gb-m-2-14-inch-full-hd-orchid-pink-silver/p3533245?s_afcid=af_47868&tmad=c&awc=1203_1534064898_e1d245747a87ddace23894a08dc916f4&tmcampid=48https://www.johnlewis.com/hp-pavilion-14-bf015na-laptop-intel-core-i5-8gb-ram-256gb-m-2-14-full-hd-orchid-pink-silver/p3531136?s_afcid=af_47868&tmad=c&awc=1203_1534073541_3ea835d5db5c6ea61892d38f4735b7cc&tmcampid=48

Looks like they are both out of stock. I wouldn't spend the extra on the i5 at that price.
At that sort of money I'd go for the cheaper one. There are better improvements you could get for £70 than a slightly faster CPU.
I have had 2 x HP laptops.

The first lasted 7 years. My current one I have had for 4 years plus.

They have been well built and good value for money. The screens are normally nice, the sound pretty good and the keyboards are nice to type on.

The only negative is they have quite a lot of bloatware.

Having said this, I guess most brands do.
hottoast9 h, 50 m ago

I have had 2 x HP laptops. The first lasted 7 years. My current one I …I have had 2 x HP laptops. The first lasted 7 years. My current one I have had for 4 years plus. They have been well built and good value for money. The screens are normally nice, the sound pretty good and the keyboards are nice to type on. The only negative is they have quite a lot of bloatware.Having said this, I guess most brands do.

thank you for that information. it has given me confidence as i have bought one now so here's hoping it will last
i got it with 3 years guarantee from john lewis so i am covered for at least 3 years. i tend to upgrade after 4 years so as long as it lasts 4 years, i will be fine.

from my limited experience of laptop brands, i would say that samsung was best, toshiba second best then lenovo, which is also very reliable. i am ranking them on their quality as reliability, they all have lasted well and they are not expensive laptops.
mutley110 m ago

from my limited experience of laptop brands, i would say that samsung was …from my limited experience of laptop brands, i would say that samsung was best, toshiba second best then lenovo, which is also very reliable.

So you buy a HP. Priceless.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants