Expired

HP Microserver - Best OS to use?

Banned 11
Found 30th May 2013
I've recently got an HP Microserver for our home network and need some suggestions on the best OS to get. We are going to use it mainly for backing up files and also streaming video to PS3/Xbox and an HTPC.

I'm happy to go with a Linux based OS but preferably something with a decent GUI as the other half will need to be able to use the server when I am not in the house.

What's going to be the easiest, most painless option?

11 Comments

Easiest is WHS 2011, if you are not *too* familiar with Linux. It is not free tho....

Original Poster Banned

I have used Linux quite a bit over the past 18 months so I am OK with it. I'd just rather have a distro that's got a Windows-ish GUI so the other half is comfortable using it when I am at work

Good info here on sanchos official microserver thread + any questions regarding microservers worth asking on official thread

hotukdeals.com/mis…=99

Been using amahi for over a year - works well but a pita to set up

please tell me
what is a microserver?

I would recommend a Linux based server install, with file server configured. Then install plex media server, which can be exposed from a web ui.
You shouldn't need to be logging into the sever and definitely not chewing resources with a GUI.

Original Poster Banned

Thanks for all the replies. I've been having a look around the web, what about FreeNas, has anyone tried that? Seems to run from a USB drive and has a web-based GUI you can access from PCs connected to the network. Looks ideal

Original Poster Banned

ppatto

please tell me what is a microserver?

This.....HP Proliant

MrKDilkington

Thanks for all the replies. I've been having a look around the web, what … Thanks for all the replies. I've been having a look around the web, what about FreeNas, has anyone tried that? Seems to run from a USB drive and has a web-based GUI you can access from PCs connected to the network. Looks ideal

It all comes down to how much time you are willing/able to put towards getting the HP to work. If your time is valuable then I would go for the WHS 2011- it will work out of the box. If you want to save money and have a more configurable server go the Linux route in one of its flavours. In the end the choice is yours....
Enjoy, they are great boxes. I have mine built on WHS2011. It auto switches off, boots up when a PC on the home network boots up, backs up seamlessly and has a dynamic dns that Microsoft supplies than means you access via DNS name instead of ip address. This is very important if you have a dynamically allocated ip address.

xmal

It all comes down to how much time you are willing/able to put towards … It all comes down to how much time you are willing/able to put towards getting the HP to work. If your time is valuable then I would go for the WHS 2011- it will work out of the box. If you want to save money and have a more configurable server go the Linux route in one of its flavours. In the end the choice is yours....Enjoy, they are great boxes. I have mine built on WHS2011. It auto switches off, boots up when a PC on the home network boots up, backs up seamlessly and has a dynamic dns that Microsoft supplies than means you access via DNS name instead of ip address. This is very important if you have a dynamically allocated ip address.

if you don't mind me asking, how did you configure automatic start up and shutdown?

maciek

if you don't mind me asking, how did you configure automatic start up and … if you don't mind me asking, how did you configure automatic start up and shutdown?

Not at all. The WHS2011, allows add-ons and one is called LightsOut. CHeck it out here. Follow the instructions and it allows you to auto switch on/off or use other parameters to switch off like cpu usage. It is quite cool and free
If you put in your electricity costs it will calculate how much you spend or save.

HTH,

xmal
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions