HP Printer Offline

Found 4th Apr 2017
This happened with my old printer, and now my new one. I'll go to print something, and Window 10 will say "Printer offline" in a pop up in the bottom right corner. Despite this message appearing, sometimes the printer actually prints what I ask, sometimes it doesn't.

I've uninstalled all the HP crap and then installed printer via Windows. Same issue each time. Any ideas? Thanks
Community Updates
AskHPPrinter
10 Comments
Mod
Is it a network printer? Just picking up DHCP address from router and changing every so often?

If so, would be worth going into settings and assigning it a static IP address, then setting it up on PC again.
Original Poster
BeerDrinker

Is it a network printer? Just picking up DHCP address from router and … Is it a network printer? Just picking up DHCP address from router and changing every so often?If so, would be worth going into settings and assigning it a static IP address, then setting it up on PC again.

Yeah, it's WiFi. Do I set it up a static IP in the router?
Mod
There are two ways, depending on your router you could give it a reservation so it assigns the same IP every time.

Would be easier to add the IP on the printer itself though. Find out what IP address it has currently been assigned (either on the router under dhcp leases, or run a scan on your PC with AngryIP or similar).
Open up your favourite browser and type in the http://ipaddresshere

You should then be able to login and edit the network config.
Original Poster
BeerDrinker

There are two ways, depending on your router you could give it a … There are two ways, depending on your router you could give it a reservation so it assigns the same IP every time.Would be easier to add the IP on the printer itself though. Find out what IP address it has currently been assigned (either on the router under dhcp leases, or run a scan on your PC with AngryIP or similar).Open up your favourite browser and type in the http://ipaddresshereYou should then be able to login and edit the network config.

Thanks - does this sound right?

- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.
- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.
- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.
- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250
- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)
- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.
- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.
- Click 'Apply'.
Mod
superfreddy

Thanks - does this sound right?- Print a Network Config Page from the … Thanks - does this sound right?- Print a Network Config Page from the front of the printer. Note the printer's IP address.- Type that IP address into a browser to reveal the printer's internal settings.- Choose the Networking tab, then Wireless along the left side, then the IPv4 tab.- On this screen you want to set a Manual IP. You need to set an IP address outside the range that the router automatically sets (called the DHCP range). If you do not know the range, change the last set of numbers (those after the last '.') to 250- Use 255.255.255.0 for the subnet (unless you know it is different, if so, use that)- Enter your router's IP (on the Network Config Page) for the gateway.- Enter 8.8.8.8 for the first DNS and 8.8.4.4 for the second DNS. This is Google DNS. You can choose another external DNS if you wish.- Click 'Apply'.

Yeah, that's pretty much bang on!
Original Poster
BeerDrinker

Yeah, that's pretty much bang on!

Really? Even the DNS and the subnet IP's? Is that secure?
Mod
superfreddy

Really? Even the DNS and the subnet IP's? Is that secure?

Subnet is standard. DNS isn't really required but would maybe just put in the router's IP as entry 1 (e.g. 192.168.0.1) and leave the 2nd blank.
Are you using a BT smart hub? If so turn off the auto channel hopping. Use wifi analyser to need an uncongested channel. Set the router to a fixed channel. See if that fixes it.
Original Poster
enigmatik33

Are you using a BT smart hub? If so turn off the auto channel hopping. … Are you using a BT smart hub? If so turn off the auto channel hopping. Use wifi analyser to need an uncongested channel. Set the router to a fixed channel. See if that fixes it.

​Yeah it's the hub 6.

Thanks both of you.
Original Poster
So I'm back here... the printer has been faultless since having it on a static ip. However... my mobile and tablets can't see the printer no matter what I do - the HP apps can't see any printer on my network... any ideas? Thanks
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions