HP Probook 430 G5 – 90£ only

Posted 10th Jan
HP Probook 430 G5 – Intel Core i5-8250U – 8GB – 256GB HDD – WIN 10 Pro

Just bought this for 90£

I’m collecting it later today & cash upon collection.

It’s obviously used but seems like a good price for this spec

Just wanted a second opinion before I collect

HP Probook 430 G5
Intel Core i5 8250U / 1.6GHz
Win 10 Pro 64-bit
8GB RAM
256GB SSD
13.3” LED backlight 1920 x 1080 (Full HD)
UHD Graphics 620

Fresh install of Windows 10 Pro
All Windows Updates completed
Some slight cosmetic marks, see all pictures
Charger included
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

37 Comments
It is far too cheap! Either the laptop is nicked, they are going to rob you or substitute it with something else.

Do not go alone to the pick-up.
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 10th Jan
SUMMONER10/01/2020 15:50

It is so cheap, either laptop is nicked, they are going to rob you or …It is so cheap, either laptop is nicked, they are going to rob you or substitute it with something else.Do not go alone to the pick-up.

Lol wtf are you joking ?
BigStart10/01/2020 15:50

Lol wtf are you joking ?

Unfortunately not. Of course there is always the possibility that the person selling it doesn't know what they have/what it is actually worth. The laptop is easily worth > £250 used and would likely cost > £400 new.
SUMMONER10/01/2020 15:52

Unforunately not. Of course there is always the possibility that the …Unforunately not. Of course there is always the possibility that the person selling it doesn't know what they have/what it is actually worth. The laptop is worth £250 - £300 used.

Ok how do I know if it’s stolen ?! I guess there is noway to know right
BigStart10/01/2020 15:53

Ok how do I know if it’s stolen ?! I guess there is noway to know right

Make sure it comes with a genuine HP charger, not a generic one. Check the power port/Kensignton lock ports are not damaged. Also check that the BIOS is not passworded. Ask for a copy of the original purchase receipt.
SUMMONER10/01/2020 15:55

Make sure it comes with a genuine HP charger, not a generic one. Check the …Make sure it comes with a genuine HP charger, not a generic one. Check the power port/Kensignton lock ports are not damaged. Also check that the BIOS is not passworded. Ask for a copy of the original purchase receipt.

Ok makes sense about the charger, Kensington locks ?! How do I check those ?
Bios passworded beyond my experience?! Can YouTube to see how that’s done
Legit W10? Did that specific model come with factory W10Pro (or any other W10 version); weren't some cheaper 430 G5 models versions shipped with Ubuntu? Budget for new battery.
BigStart10/01/2020 15:56

Ok makes sense about the charger, Kensington locks ?! How do I check those …Ok makes sense about the charger, Kensington locks ?! How do I check those ?

39642310-Z4s0J.jpg
39642310.jpg
BigStart10/01/2020 15:57

Bios passworded beyond my experience?! Can YouTube to see how that’s done

I think you get into the BIOS/UEFI by pressing the F10 key repeatedly, immediately after powering on the laptop.

Don't change anything in there, just make sure it doesn't ask for a password. Once you see the BIOS text menus on the screen simply hold down the power button for 8-10 seconds to power the laptop back off again.

Make sure it boots all the way into Windows and double check the specifications.
e.g. click the Start Menu button in the bottom left and type System and then select the System Information App from the menu. It will display the processor model and how much RAM the laptop has.
Just watch they don’t trick you. I have heard stories of people being distracted and given a laptop bag containing a phonebook !
slippers197710/01/2020 16:17

Just watch they don’t trick you. I have heard stories of people being d …Just watch they don’t trick you. I have heard stories of people being distracted and given a laptop bag containing a phonebook !

Lol ok that won’t happen to me I’m sure..
Best thing will be to go there with a friend that knows a bit about the insides of computers and can do all the checks quickly.
SUMMONER10/01/2020 16:22

Best thing will be to go there with a friend that knows a bit about the …Best thing will be to go there with a friend that knows a bit about the insides of computers and can do all the checks quickly.

Seems legit so far, apart from the crazy price didn’t see any warning flags

Hopefully it’s legit will post photos later if I’m not stabbed & mugged. It’s not a great area but will take the risk
BigStart10/01/2020 17:11

Seems legit so far, apart from the crazy price didn’t see any warning f …Seems legit so far, apart from the crazy price didn’t see any warning flags Hopefully it’s legit will post photos later if I’m not stabbed & mugged. It’s not a great area but will take the risk

Crazy price and not a great area might offer a hint that it’s too good to be true. Where was it advertised?
Just to echo what has been said that price is too good. This sort of spec on that model can be north of £500 new, iirc g5 a newish, if not the current model.

It's a fairly standard business model so be damn sure to check the os carefully and make sure the back story is legit. Could easily be a stolen laptop or a soon to be ex employee looking to cash in.
BigStart10/01/2020 17:11

Seems legit so far, apart from the crazy price didn’t see any warning f …Seems legit so far, apart from the crazy price didn’t see any warning flags Hopefully it’s legit will post photos later if I’m not stabbed & mugged. It’s not a great area but will take the risk

Well OP, are you dead in a ditch or the happy new owner of the super bargain of the year?
Edited by: "SUMMONER" 11th Jan
Maybe busy making a statement to the Police
Help please
Haha all good but strange I posted last night but it’s been deleted .. no idea why
I got there about 8.30pm last night, really creepy walk from the tube station to the house. I had to friends tracking me on WhatsApp live location & I had given them the address & phone number of the guy, taking your advice and all the others that said I will be mugged lol

Bit more comfortable when I reached as it was a family home & I got greeted by a big but friendly German shepherd.
The really didn’t want to talk & look annoyed / angry he was selling so I took the hint & left very quickly. 90 cash handed over & out of there fast.
SUMMONER11/01/2020 09:00

Well OP, are you dead in a ditch or the happy new owner of the super …Well OP, are you dead in a ditch or the happy new owner of the super bargain of the year?

Here is what it looks like. So far so good watched 2 movies on it & some vikings on amazon. Battery still going after 2 movies & series. Good sign didn’t expect the battery to perform so well.

39649974-T0FSy.jpg

39649974-re9wl.jpg
39650003-y6RiC.jpg
39650003-9V8X5.jpg
39650003-ct9dI.jpg
It’s in good condition for a used laptop feels like it’s had little use
slippers197711/01/2020 13:53

Maybe busy making a statement to the Police

Lol my friends also said it’s too good to be true once I sent them the spec of new model online, on google it doesn’t come up for less than 600 new so they thought I was walking into trouble or some scam where they are taking 90£ from a group of people on the same night
Glad you came out the other side but still think it’s stolen!
slippers197711/01/2020 15:47

Glad you came out the other side but still think it’s stolen!

I have no idea but based on what I seen being there I don’t think it is, they didn’t look like they were desperate for money.
Decent house, decent car, had a big dog which is not cheap to look after.

Laptop comes with original charger allowed for pick up at his house & provided phone number.
Maybe he just didn’t know the value of the laptop or didn’t care.
Well done, looks like an utter bargain.

Don't forget to install/run thefree version of Malwarebytes, just to make sure there are no nasties.
BigStart11/01/2020 16:22

I have no idea but based on what I seen being there I don’t think it is, t …I have no idea but based on what I seen being there I don’t think it is, they didn’t look like they were desperate for money. Decent house, decent car, had a big dog which is not cheap to look after. Laptop comes with original charger allowed for pick up at his house & provided phone number. Maybe he just didn’t know the value of the laptop or didn’t care.

Well, do they have more 'bargains' for sale?
SUMMONER11/01/2020 16:48

Well, do they have more 'bargains' for sale?

Didn’t ask.. the entire process from start to finish was straightforward and I didn’t see any red flags.

Based on photos & spec how much would you say it’s worth ?
SUMMONER11/01/2020 16:36

Well done, looks like an utter bargain. Don't forget to …Well done, looks like an utter bargain. Don't forget to install/run the free version of Malwarebytes, just to make sure there are no nasties.

Is this legit ?! Never heard of it ? Always thought it’s not good download these things online as the programs contain backdoors & nasty stuff
This is a common corporate laptop. Quite easily one that was given free to the employee when issued a replacement. No point for the Company to retain a laptop that has depreciated.
BigStart11/01/2020 16:50

Didn’t ask.. the entire process from start to finish was straightforward a …Didn’t ask.. the entire process from start to finish was straightforward and I didn’t see any red flags. Based on photos & spec how much would you say it’s worth ?

Based on this spec and dependant on condition it is worth ~ £300, may be even a little more if it was fully boxed and included the purchase receipt.

Does it have a backlit keyboard and a fingerprint reader?
SUMMONER11/01/2020 18:06

Based on this spec and dependant on condition it is worth ~ £300, may be …Based on this spec and dependant on condition it is worth ~ £300, may be even a little more if it was fully boxed and included the purchase receipt.Does it have a backlit keyboard and a fingerprint reader?

Finger print reader, yes . Don’t know if it’s backlit, what button do I press for that ?
BigStart11/01/2020 16:51

Is this legit ?! Never heard of it ? Always thought it’s not good download …Is this legit ?! Never heard of it ? Always thought it’s not good download these things online as the programs contain backdoors & nasty stuff

Malwarebytes is what people install if they want a 2nd opinion to whatever AntiVirus a computer already has.

It is generally very well regarded when it comes to getting rid of Spy/Adware and has been my go to for nearly a decade, also more recent versions can be a bit on the pushy side about upgrading the to the paid for version.

The free version is not a replacement for AntiVirus, but just something that scans on demand (you have to click on it to run a scan/runs on daily schedule).
BigStart11/01/2020 18:07

Finger print reader, yes . Don’t know if it’s backlit, what button do I pre …Finger print reader, yes . Don’t know if it’s backlit, what button do I press for that ?

Turn the lights in the room off, the keys should illuminate automatically if they are backlit.

Apparently you can also press Fn + F5 to force the key backlight on and off.
source

You can check if there is any warranty left on the machine here: linky
SUMMONER11/01/2020 18:11

Turn the lights in the room off, the keys should illuminate automatically …Turn the lights in the room off, the keys should illuminate automatically if they are backlit.Apparently you can also press Fn + F5 to force the key backlight on and off.sourceYou can check if there is any warranty left on the machine here: linky

Checking warranty now.

Just wondering if it’s best to leave the charger connected or unplug after a full charge regarding saving battery life

Guess with these new models it will stop charging the battery once it’s full ?
BigStart11/01/2020 18:48

Checking warranty now.Just wondering if it’s best to leave the charger c …Checking warranty now.Just wondering if it’s best to leave the charger connected or unplug after a full charge regarding saving battery life Guess with these new models it will stop charging the battery once it’s full ?

I just leave mine plugged in all the time. Same for my mobile phone, if I am at my work desk/at home it is plugged in too.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions