Expired

HP ProBook 4530s owners (not moaners!) thread

Found 17th Oct 2011
MOD EDIT - ** DO NOT OFFER ITEMS FOR SALE IN THIS THREAD 88
This thread is to capture useful tidbits for HP ProBook 4530s owners following the recent Ebuyer deal (though still mostly applicable if bought elsewhere).

hotukdeals.com/dea…081

Please note, this thread is NOT for complaints about the Ebuyer / HP cashback issues, which are already being covered in the original deal thread. I might post an occasional update here of where these are up to, but only based on comments in that deal.

Finally, thanks of course Axino for spotting & submitting the original offer - and sorry to everyone who didn't get one!
Community Updates
MiscHP
239 Comments
Original Poster
BASIC INFO (Updated 24/10/11 21:35 - hard drive and optical drive info, WEI scores)

Model
HP ProBook 4530s LW766ES

CPU
Intel® Core™ i3-2310M (2.10 GHz, 3 MB L3 cache)

Operating system
Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit (64bit restore DVD supplied)

Memory
Single 2GB DDR3 PC3-10600 SODIMM (two slots, max 8GB)

Hard disc
250GB - models reported: Western Digital WD2500BEKT, Toshiba MK2561GSYN (thanks bb247 & al355)

Screen
15.6" LED-backlit anti-glare

Connections
1 x USB 3.0 - left-hand side next to HDMI (thanks the123oracle)
3 x USB 2.0
VGA
HDMI
Stereo microphone in
Stereo headphone/line-out
RJ-45 gigabit LAN
Express Card/34
Media Card Reader

Battery
Type: 9-cell (93 WHr) Li-Ion
Life: Up to 12 hours and 15 minutes

Other
WiFi
Bluetooth
DVD writer - models reported: HP CDDVDW TS-L633R, HP DVD A DS8A5LH, HP DVDRAM GT31L, HP DVD RW AD-7711H (thanks insight101, Ashe & damadgeruk)
HD webcam
HP QuickWeb

Physical specs
Weight: 2.36 kg
Dimensions 374 x 256 x 287 mm

Windows Experience Index
With Windows 7 64bit and Microsoft standard drivers, my scores were:-
Processor: 6.4
Memory (RAM): 5.5
Graphics: 4.6 (lowest so determines overall score)
Gaming graphics: 6.1
Primary hard disk: 5.9

Scores for Windows 7 32-bit with 2GB are almost identical (thanks localshop).

Installing two Kingston 4GB DDR3-1333 modules increased two of my Win7 64-bit scores:-
Memory (RAM): 7.3
Graphics: 5.8 (still lowest, but takes overall score up)

Edited by: "ukdealee" 24th Oct 2011
Original Poster
UPDATING TO WINDOWS 7 64-BIT (Updated 22/10/11 07:30 - info on critical updates and HP software)

The laptop comes with Win7 32-bit installed, which among other things limits maximum usable RAM to 4GB (more info here). A restore DVD is included for the 64-bit version of Windows; however some additional work is required to update the necessary drivers and HP software if required (see below).

Installing Windows
From memory I used the following procedure to update to Windows 7 64bit, but please let me know of any improvements - and note that this method will erase any personal data!:-

- First insert the 64bit restore DVD and (re)boot
- Press a key when prompted to load from the DVD
- Using the custom options, format the largest partition to clear the current installation
- Leave the other system / HP partitions as they are (unless you're confident about what they're used for!)
- Proceed with the installation as normal, following the prompts
- Once complete, run Windows Update a few times install the latest patches; currently includes 123 critical updates (inc SP1) and 18 reboots! (thanks jimmybo)
- You should also install antivirus software, e.g. Microsoft Security Essentials

Installing drivers
The best drivers can be found on the menu of the supplied Application and Driver Recovery DVD under 'Hardware Enabling Drivers', on the HP drivers and software webpage, or in some cases as optional updates from Windows Update (Control Panel > System and Security > Windows Update > Check for updates).

The recovery DVD is actually quite helpful in showing you what hardware is installed (there may be variations between models) and pre-ticking its recommendations. Having said that, the Ralink WiFi driver was shown but not ticked by default for me, even though (I think) it's a newer / more specific driver than the generic one Windows installs.

I've listed the driver versions available from each source below, with my suggestion in bold. This is generally the newest, or in a couple of cases where versions are the same, the easiest to get hold of. The format is:-

Driver name: App & Driver Recovery DVD version | HP website version (support pack ref) | Windows Update version - Notes

Ralink Motorola 2011 Bluetooth: 3.0.2.285 | 3.0.82.298 (sp52850) | n/a - couldn't get the newer HP website version to install*
HP Universal Camera Driver: 5.8.50058.0 | 5.8.50060.0 (sp53111) | n/a
HP 3D DriveGuard: 4.1.4.1 | 4.1.10.1 (sp53795) | n/a - latest version on website under Revision History
HP HotKey Support: 4.0.10.1 | 4.0.20.1 (sp53796) | n/a
IDT HD Audio Driver: 6.10.6325.0 | 6.10.6341.0 (sp53628) | n/a
Intel Management Engine Components Driver: 7.0.0.1144 | 7.1.2.1041 (sp52143) | n/a
Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver: 10.1.2.1004 | 10.1.2.1004 (sp52144) | n/a
Intel HD Graphics with Turbo Boost Technology: 8.15.10.2342 | 8.15.10.2342 | n/a
Intel Chipset Installation Utility: 9.2.0.1016(?) : 9.2.0.1021 (sp52145) | n/a
JMicron Media Card Reader Driver: 1.0.57.2 | 1.0.57.2 (sp52344) | n/a
Renesas USB 3.0 Driver: 2.0.32.0 | 2.1.19.0 (sp53671) | n/a - important updates in latest version
Realtek Ethernet Controller Drivers: 7.31.1025.2010 | ? (sp51968) | 7.46.610.2011
Synaptics TouchPad Driver: 15.2.11.1 | 15.2.16.6 (sp53265) | 15.3.25.0
Ralink 2011 802.11 b/g/n: 3.1.13.1 | 3.2.2.0 (sp54127) | n/a

* This may be because I'd installed / uninstalled the DVD version first - other people might have more luck

HP software
The following software is available on the Application & Driver Recovery DVD, however it's generally not crucial and most people would rather avoid the clutter! (see DVD menu for individual descriptions):-

HP PROFESSIONAL INNOVATIONS: HP 3D DriveGuard, HP Connection Manager, HP DayStarter, HP Power Assistant, HP Support Assistant
RECOMMENDED SOFTWARE APPLICATIONS: ArcSoft Webcam Sharing Manager, ArcSoft Total Media Suite, HP BIOS Update UEFI, Abobe Flash Player, HP Connection Manager, HP DayStarter, HP Power Assistant, HP Software Framework, HP System Diagnostics UEFI, HP ProtectTools Security Manager, HP GPS and Location, HP Internet Sharing Manager, PDF Complete, Computrace for HP ProtectTools, Device Access Manager for HP ProtectTools, Face Recognition for HP ProtectTools, Drive Encryption for HP ProtectTools, HP DigitalPass, Privacy Manager for HP ProtectTools, File Sanitizer for HP ProtectTools, Symantec Norton Internet Security 2011 60 Day Subscription - BNB SMB, System Default Settings for Windows 7, HP Support Assistant, Essential System Updates for Microsoft Windows 7
OPTIONAL: Evernote, HP Wallpaper

Edited by: "ukdealee" 22nd Oct 2011
Original Poster
UPGRADES

RAM
The laptop comes with one 2GB DDR3 PC PC3-10600 SODIMM and a spare slot. This can be upgraded to 4GB or 6GB by adding another 2GB or 4GB stick of equal specs, or a maximum of 8GB by replacing it with 2 x 4GB modules.

Although 2GB is adequate for basic use, 4GB will noticeably speed up multitasking, plus Windows 7 makes good use of extra memory by pre-loading commonly-used files into RAM. (Especially useful on a laptop given drives are a bit slower.) Any more than 4GB will require an upgrade to Win7 64bit (see above), but 8GB is very tempting given memory prices at the momnet!

Warranty
It looks like the warranty can be upgraded to 3 years pickup and return with HP Care Pack UK707E. The best price mentioned so far is item no. 300554180016 on eBay (thanks harlzter). This is on for £20 Buy It Now, but can apparently be got for an £18 offer (thanks Arj12).

Hard drive
The standard 250GB drive should be plenty for most people, but can be upgraded for capacity or speed reasons if required.

One thing to be aware of if changing the drive are the custom partitions for HP QuickWeb (thanks Somebody) and other HP tools. If you wish to keep these, you will need to use some smart migration software to bring everything across from your old drive or to recreate them yourself. (Info hopefully to follow - e.g. does the drivers and apps DVD do this?)

Also, if you transfer to an SSD that does not have inbuilt garbage collection without doing a clean install, you may need to tweak a couple of settings to enable TRIM. (Again, better explained elsewhere on the web!)

Operating system
The most obvious upgrade for many will be to install Win7 64-bit using the restore DVD supplied (see above).

There are also links in this thread for a Hackintosh setup (thanks neal & bazookas). I'm not posting these here as I'm not sure of the legality, and don't want the rest of this post removed!
Edited by: "ukdealee" 19th Oct 2011
Original Poster
[Reserved for updates]
Edited by: "ukdealee" 20th Oct 2011
Original Poster
OPEN QUESTIONS (Updated 22/10/11 07:20 - most questions now answered!)

HP partitions
Does anyone know how to recreate these manually, if deleted by accident or doing a fresh install on a new drive? E.g. does the drivers & apps DVD handle these?

Edited by: "ukdealee" 22nd Oct 2011
http://i54.tinypic.com/2s9zqfn.jpg

http://i54.tinypic.com/2qxpybo.jpg
Edited by: "tam_mo" 18th Oct 2011
Not a cashback query but this looks like a qualifying product for a trade up.

tradeuptohp.com/bus…cts

does anyone know if this is possible as a consumer - nothing seems to preclude this in the terms and conditions, and I have an old hp base unit which was otherwise going to landfill.
£150 back would mean paying £169 for the laptop = better than cashback.

anyone claimed this back ?
realblender

[Reserved for spam]

lol!
[Reserved for - "HP said this, Ebuyer said that, I'm getting in touch with Watchdog, Small Claims Court" comments]
Anyone know which bluetooth drivers to use in Windows 7 64bit? The Windows one seems to have installed but they're a bit basic and I'd like the same functionality as in the original 32bit HP installation which came with the laptop.

I've tried all the drivers on the support page but none of them seem to install
Llamaman

Anyone know which bluetooth drivers to use in Windows 7 64bit? The … Anyone know which bluetooth drivers to use in Windows 7 64bit? The Windows one seems to have installed but they're a bit basic and I'd like the same functionality as in the original 32bit HP installation which came with the laptop. I've tried all the drivers on the support page but none of them seem to install

Did you try the recommended one on the drivers dvd?. If you run the setup on the drivers dvd again, does it say the bluetooth driver is installed?
reserved for further spam ....
[Reserved for thread locked ]
ukdealee

Thanks for getting things started! I'll move relevant info up to the … Thanks for getting things started! I'll move relevant info up to the first few posts (with appropriate credits) when I get some time later today...

No probs, hopefully this thread can stay on track (who am I kidding? this is misc!) and stay about the laptop and not the cashback woes.
[Reserved for fight about Onkyo being a named brand]
Does it have a backlit keyboard? I'm sure I read it somewhere on the original thread!
ukdealee

Having said that, your earlier posts seem to have gone missing for some … Having said that, your earlier posts seem to have gone missing for some reason! I didn't delete them, but was around the time that one of my posts got put on hold for 'moderation'. Don't know if it was the eBay reference for an extended warranty that annoyed someone? Weird...

No I removed them the one refering to repair vids I removed to tidy thethread as you had posted it into post 1 and the waranty by mistake instead of the repair/upgrade one.
Original Poster
Arj12

Does it have a backlit keyboard? I'm sure I read it somewhere on the … Does it have a backlit keyboard? I'm sure I read it somewhere on the original thread!

No not backlit. Looks nice though as the keys are separated by a thin grid of the brushed metal casing - albeit this can also feel a little strange for typing at first! There's also a 'proper' number pad layout on the right, as for a full-size keyboard.

The only slight annoyance I've noticed is the up & down arrow keys are squashed into the space of one key to fit the layout, and on mine the up arrow key needs a harder press to work, plus isn't fitted on that securely. (Can always claim on warranty if it becomes an issue I guess.)
ukdealee

No not backlit. Looks nice though as the keys are separated by a thin … No not backlit. Looks nice though as the keys are separated by a thin grid of the brushed metal casing - albeit this can also feel a little strange for typing at first! There's also a 'proper' number pad layout on the right, as for a full-size keyboard.The only slight annoyance I've noticed is the up & down arrow keys are squashed into the space of one key to fit the layout, and on mine the up arrow key needs a harder press to work, plus isn't fitted on that securely. (Can always claim on warranty if it becomes an issue I guess.)

Thanks for that =)
Well what I did was buy the extended warranty through ebay for £18 (it's £20 BIN, auto-rejection of £16 but accepted at £18) for piece of mind!
reserved
Hi Everyone
Just to let you know i took mine to a shop near me to get some extra memory and the guy there could not believe i got this laptop for £319 he reckons its a bargain for a probook ( build quality/battery life etc ) and when i told him about the extras ( case/webroot ) he was generally astounded.
Thanks for starting this tread as i am struggling with drivers and what to down load from the hp site, but i will persevere and post any comments as i sort it out bit by bit and also hassle you lot with many questions. lol
Someone mentioned a driver dvd ? is this the 64 bit installation disc ?
Original Poster
The Bulb

Hi Everyone Just to let you know i took mine to a shop near me to get … Hi Everyone Just to let you know i took mine to a shop near me to get some extra memory and the guy there could not believe i got this laptop for £319 he reckons its a bargain for a probook ( build quality/battery life etc ) and when i told him about the extras ( case/webroot ) he was generally astounded.

Agree on the build quality, it looks / feels great. Plus I've been genuinely amazed at the battery life: I left it unplugged installing Windows updates and appications for a good 3-4 hours the other day, and it still claimed to have 5+ hours left.

The Bulb

Thanks for starting this tread as i am struggling with drivers and what … Thanks for starting this tread as i am struggling with drivers and what to down load from the hp site, but i will persevere and post any comments as i sort it out bit by bit and also hassle you lot with many questions. lolSomeone mentioned a driver dvd ? is this the 64 bit installation disc ?

Glad it's helping - the main thread was getting a bit choked in every sense!

I'm away from home at the moment but think there might have been a third DVD for drivers - or have I got that wrong? I normally like to keep everything as standard (Microsoft) as possible, and install only missing drivers using the latest version from the manufacturer website. However, maybe someone could comment who's tried the disc (if any)?

Pretty sure

The Bulb

Hi Everyone Just to let you know i took mine to a shop near me to get … Hi Everyone Just to let you know i took mine to a shop near me to get some extra memory and the guy there could not believe i got this laptop for £319 he reckons its a bargain for a probook ( build quality/battery life etc ) and when i told him about the extras ( case/webroot ) he was generally astounded.

The Bulb

Thanks for starting this tread as i am struggling with drivers and what … Thanks for starting this tread as i am struggling with drivers and what to down load from the hp site, but i will persevere and post any comments as i sort it out bit by bit and also hassle you lot with many questions. lolSomeone mentioned a driver dvd ? is this the 64 bit installation disc ?

I only got a 64 and 32 bit installation disc with mine.
The Bulb

I only got a 64 and 32 bit installation disc with mine.

There should have been a 3rd disc with the drivers/other apps on it.
Jupiter Obscure

There should have been a 3rd disc with the drivers/other apps on it.

Three discs supplied
32 bit software
64 bit software
Application and Driver Recovery cd

Haven't booted up yet

Still copying/wiping the laptop I'm "upgrading" from for the tradeup claim
But here within may lie another can of worms
Edited by: "jimmybo" 17th Oct 2011
ukdealee

OPEN QUESTIONSHP partitionsHas anyone seen something definitive on what … OPEN QUESTIONSHP partitionsHas anyone seen something definitive on what the HP partitions on the hard disc are used for? I saw a couple of posts online suggesting it's best not to delete them (I nearly chose to when installing Win7 64bit). On the other hand they take a lot of space, and as I'm considering chucking in an SSD it would be useful to know whether they need recreating.

One partition is for HP Quickweb. See here
Somebody

One partition is for HP Quickweb.

Ahhh, I'd wondered what that internet button was for.
Original Poster
Somebody

One partition is for HP Quickweb. See here

Thanks! I've updated the questions and added the info to upgrades for an HDD.
Hi guys

Was wondering if anyone can point me to the best source to get a 4GB RAM upgrade please?

The cheapest I have found is:
kikatek.com/pro…711
Is anyone able to confirm whether this is suitable?

thanks a lot
jmdcam

Hi guysWas wondering if anyone can point me to the best source to get a … Hi guysWas wondering if anyone can point me to the best source to get a 4GB RAM upgrade please?The cheapest I have found is:http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=129711 Is anyone able to confirm whether this is suitable?thanks a lot

Right taken the plunge and ordered the following one - amazon.co.uk/gp/…3YO

Would appreciate someone confirming that this will be suitable in addition to the 2GB that is already installed please as have no technical knowledge?

Thanks
Original Poster
jmdcam

Right taken the plunge and ordered the following one - … Right taken the plunge and ordered the following one - http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002YU83YO Would appreciate someone confirming that this will be suitable in addition to the 2GB that is already installed please as have no technical knowledge?Thanks

Looks fine to me - the only proviso is you'll need Win7 64bit to access the full 6GB (as per first posts).
ukdealee

Looks fine to me - the only proviso is you'll need Win7 64bit to access … Looks fine to me - the only proviso is you'll need Win7 64bit to access the full 6GB (as per first posts).

Thanks a lot for the response.
Another silly question - can I upgrade to 64 bit with only 2GB RAM (whilst I wait for the delivery of the other 4GB) or do I need to install the RAM first before upgrading?
If I have upgraded already and then install the RAM later, will it just pick it up automatically?
thanks a lot

what about this one that doesn't need access to an osx install ?

Your text here

neal

Easy to install a hackintosh guide here … Easy to install a hackintosh guide here http://www.tonymacx86.com/viewforum.php?f=259

What junk is everyone sending back to hp for there tradeup £150

( my son's Dell 1150 )

My 6 year old son was very excited he could get rid of the dell (He unplugged it and put it in a box ready to go within 5 mins). So he could have a new laptop.

I tried Daddy has the new Laptop and he could have my old one no: he unboxed it and claimed it as his. LOL it will be cheap.
insight101

What junk is everyone sending back to hp for there tradeup £150.

I think I've got an old Toshiba Satellite 100CS running windows 95 kicking around somewhere in the garage; they can have that
insight101

This
Edited by: "Somebody" 18th Oct 2011
insight101

don't forget you can send in an old PC base unit as well (am awaiting confirmation that you dont have to send the monitor also)

By the way, I love this HP laptop, fantastic build quality, battery life, features...will it really just be £60 paid after cashback and trade in ? ;-)

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants