HP Stream 7 Owner's Club

Found 28th Mar 2015
Owners thread

Discuss your issues, tips, trick and solutions and more relating to the tablet. Any good products that will fit the tablet, software etc!
-----------------------------------------------

Extract Office 365 Personal Key:
You can activate the subscription on another device, or even sell/gift the subscription to someone else by following the instructions below.

1) Run Office for the first time, it should take you to an activation webpage.

2) DO NOT SIGN IN. Copy the web address, you should see 5 sets of 5 capitalised alpha numerals in a string of 5, similar to the one below

XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

3) THATS IT! Thats the code you'll need to activate on another device!

Software/Drivers/BIOS:
support.hp.com/us-…ers?

Did your HP Stream 7 arrive with the seal intact?
hotukdeals.com/tag…843
Community Updates
MiscHPStreaming
932 Comments
anyone used a external dvd rw with it? if so what make? I was going to buy one from pc world but the guy I spoke to couldn't guarantee if there was a way to give it the power it needed. I mentioned to him that I had a powered usb hub but he still wasn't sure if it would be enough
Constantly getting 'limited' connection... doing my head in... installed/updated everything... Looking online, it seems that this is quite common...

Send it back for a replacement or any other tips?

Thanks
Demonmeister

Constantly getting 'limited' connection... doing my head in... … Constantly getting 'limited' connection... doing my head in... installed/updated everything... Looking online, it seems that this is quite common... :(Send it back for a replacement or any other tips?Thanks

have you tried changing wifi channel I was having similar problem apparently it's a common problem with the tablet it doesn't work well with some channels
Yeah, I've tried 13, 10 and 4 so far.... still 'limited'...

Gah!

Thanks for the suggestion tho!

Demonmeister

Yeah, I've tried 13, 10 and 4 so far.... still 'limited'...Gah!:(Thanks … Yeah, I've tried 13, 10 and 4 so far.... still 'limited'...Gah!:(Thanks for the suggestion tho!:)

I know anything 10 or above gives problems. mine's is fine if I don't use they channels. if it was mine I think I would return it or maybe contact hp see if they could help
PC Wold has cases that fit the Google Nexus-7 2 2013 edition starter pack made by Logik - they are clearance at 97p

Lost 22% battery overnight. Will try battery and volume scheduled task fix and see how it goes.
There is a new bios that made some interesting changes. I'd upload all the updates before deciding if you have a dud.
FrugalFergal

There is a new bios that made some interesting changes. I'd upload all … There is a new bios that made some interesting changes. I'd upload all the updates before deciding if you have a dud.

Link to drivers - HERE
Thanks opening this thread, Just waiting for mine to be delivered.
The most annoying thing on this tablet is having the task bar on auto hide.... you cant get it back up
StevenBrown

The most annoying thing on this tablet is having the task bar on auto … The most annoying thing on this tablet is having the task bar on auto hide.... you cant get it back up

Really? Desktop mode is identical to PC so that shouldn't be a problem. The tablet mode has the charm bar on the left and options bar on the right, both of which are normally hidden until you swipe them into view.
I'd also recommend putting windows in Performance mode Turing off all the shadows and bits you won't appreciate or need. My Surface Pro has the fancy effects on and is noticeably slower than the Stream when transitioning.

If you hit the windows button on the tablet body it should switch to desktop and tablet mode in an absolute instant. If it's doing that then you'll have tuned it's performance to perfection.
battery tips?
Tactile

battery tips?

Shut it down rather than sleep when you are done with it. These don't sleep like iPads do, they are more like windows laptops that when left to sleep are dead a day later. If I'm done with mine for a while I shut it down. They boot pretty fast
Edited by: "Foley2001_uk" 29th Mar 2015
StevenBrown

The most annoying thing on this tablet is having the task bar on auto … The most annoying thing on this tablet is having the task bar on auto hide.... you cant get it back up

It is a known problem. Turning of show apps on taskbar helps.
Good must apps installs ?
FrugalFergal

Really? Desktop mode is identical to PC so that shouldn't be a problem. … Really? Desktop mode is identical to PC so that shouldn't be a problem. The tablet mode has the charm bar on the left and options bar on the right, both of which are normally hidden until you swipe them into view.

problem is the touch sensitivity doesn't seem to reach the very bottom of the screen, you can test this my making a selection box and seeing how close to the bottom you can go
jazferbetay

Good must apps installs ?

since it uses full windows it is probably better to use the browser than use the apps for things like facebook and web based things
StevenBrown

problem is the touch sensitivity doesn't seem to reach the very bottom of … problem is the touch sensitivity doesn't seem to reach the very bottom of the screen, you can test this my making a selection box and seeing how close to the bottom you can go

I think I have a solution. Go into desktop and reduce the resolution to 720p, flip it into landscape mode and you'll find the desktop has black borders around the sides. The task bar should now be within the touch zone so you should be able to bring it back. Then put the screen into the maximum resolution again
Good thing i did not purchase it....my main issue would have been the screen size, that size is not big enough
I always shut down my tablets when charging them because a) none of them have 3G (so can't receive calls/texts that would need them running), b) the boot-up time is usually quick (Stream 7 is 15 secs or so) and c) you'll charge much faster if they're fully shut down.

I've still got patchy wi-fi after trying every single available driver and trying various combos of settings in the device manager. I've also not found an "auto popup keyboard when caret appears in desktop mode" tool that works the way it should (and there's nothing to move the caret above the keyboard either). Got seconds on my desktop task bar clock (7+ Taskbar Tweaker) and I'm about to add BatteryBar to show battery %age in desktop task bar. Need to find something that shows wi-fi activity (up/down triangles is how Android does it in its wi-fi logo), especially considering my iffy wi-fi....

Edited by: "rkl" 29th Mar 2015
Thought this was worth a punt
https://www.imageupload.co.uk/images/2015/03/29/20150329_155238.jpg
is it just me or when i turn off the tablet (by holding down the power button for a short amount of time and sliding downwards), and connect the charger, it doesn't display the charge at all whatever I do?
So i have to turn on the tablet to find out if it's fully charged or not?
btw link to the 1 pound case which someone stated above, found one case in my area
currys.co.uk/gbu…tml
btw link to the 1 pound case which someone stated above, found one case in my area
currys.co.uk/gbu…tml
chocolatenomlike

btw link to the 1 pound case which someone stated above, found one case … btw link to the 1 pound case which someone stated above, found one case in my areahttp://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/computing/ipad-tablets-and-ereaders/tablets/tablet-accessories/logik-7-google-nexus-2-starter-kit-21656016-pdt.html

oops, wrong thread but still applicable
hi there i was trying to install office on the tablet, and it completly dissapeared from my tablet. any help?
chocolatenomlike

is it just me or when i turn off the tablet (by holding down the power … is it just me or when i turn off the tablet (by holding down the power button for a short amount of time and sliding downwards), and connect the charger, it doesn't display the charge at all whatever I do?So i have to turn on the tablet to find out if it's fully charged or not?

I'm the same
I find holding the tablet horizontal even when in tile/metro screen is best, especially for i.e

also on i.e I turn 'always show address bar and tabs' to on
Guys, have not received mine yet, but others seem to think there is problem with the warranties.
Steam installation : Success
Megadrive collection: Success
Dual shock 4 installation: Success

Jake thePeg

Guys, have not received mine yet, but others seem to think there is … Guys, have not received mine yet, but others seem to think there is problem with the warranties.

What do you mean ?
FrugalFergal

Steam installation : SuccessMegadrive collection: SuccessDual shock 4 … Steam installation : SuccessMegadrive collection: SuccessDual shock 4 installation: Success;)

What steam games will run on this ?

Have a look on the main expired site, People are saying that the warranties have already been activated back last year, as though these tablets are returns or refurbs.

quote=jazferbetay]

Jake thePeg

Guys, have not received mine yet, but others seem to think there is … Guys, have not received mine yet, but others seem to think there is problem with the warranties.

What do you mean ?[/quote]
I decided to check mine and it does indeed say warranty start date 30/10/2014

UPDATE: after a conversation on the phone with Microsoft, the date on the tablet for the warranty is set with the oem code of when the software was activated, Microsoft class your warranty as 12 months from the date you purchased it, not what the tablet says.

Edited by: "StevenBrown" 29th Mar 2015
anyone know any good email apps?
i know outlook is good, but it's only going to last a year, and the deault app receives an email a significant time later compared to when the email was sent.
There is a setting change for the Mail app to get it to push emails more frequently
im getting about 3 hours battery
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants