Groups
    EXPIRED

HPI (car data) Check for buying a used car

I am about to buy a used car from a private seller. I need to go for a HPI check online, however I have noticed that most popular websites who offer HPI check (or car data check as they call it) have increased the rates from the usual £9.99 per vehicle to £14.99 or £19.99 per vehicle.

RAC - £14.99
    rac.co.uk/pro…ks/

AA - £20
    theaa.com/car…ks/

Autotrader UK - £19.99
    autotrader.co.uk/veh…jsp

However, I have come across the website: mycarcheck.com - who seem to be charging only £3.95 for a 'classic data check' and £9.95 for a 'gold data check'.

I have not heard of them before to be honest, should I go ahead with this website and do a car data check, or should I stick with one of the popular ones who are charging a whack?

Any other data check companies which anyone knows of?

7 Comments

PM me with reg no, mileage and your e-mail addy.

I've used mycarcheck.com before and they've been fine. Found out that one of the cars i was interested in was a Cat D write off! I only used the £3.95 check.

Example of info they gave me:

Vehicle Checks
    Colour changes: There is no record of this registration being subject to a colour change.
    Plate Transfer: There is no record of this registration being involved in a plate transfer.
    Scrapped: There is no record of this registration being scrapped.
    Exported: There is no record of this registration being exported.
    Stolen: There is no record of this registration being stolen.
    Stolen & Recovered: There is no record of this registration being stolen & recovered.
    Insurance Write-off: This registration was recorded as a Category D write-off on 14 Mar 2009.
    Vehicle I.D. Check: There is no record of this registration being subject to a Vehicle Identity Check.

They also provide you with the vehicle information.

Original Poster

I went for the RAC check and it now shows me this in RED, which I don't understand clearly:

[COLOR="Red"]Plate transfer: Interest registered against a previous plate.[/COLOR]

On the other hand, it shows me that

Outstanding Finance: VRM not currently recorded as having outstanding finance.

Am I going to land in trouble if I but this car?

Thanks to the previous posters for your responses.

i done this last year on my car, it only cost me £3.99 or something stupid like that, should of waited tbh, but glad you got what you needed :thumbsup:

I did a £3.95 one back in May when I got my car

kaku_lala;6714051

I went for the RAC check and it now shows me this in RED, which I don't … I went for the RAC check and it now shows me this in RED, which I don't understand clearly:[COLOR="Red"]Plate transfer: Interest registered against a previous plate.[/COLOR]On the other hand, it shows me that Outstanding Finance: VRM not currently recorded as having outstanding finance.Am I going to land in trouble if I but this car?Thanks to the previous posters for your responses.

Maybe call the RAC who you paid and see what they say? Better to be safe than sorry

Please refer to post 2 OP.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Meerkat Movies (2 for 1 Cinema Codes) | Official Trading Thread423114446
      2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767107
      3. Well Done Turkey, Education improvement1446
      4. Online order Packaging - Share your best or worst1830

See more discussions