Expired

Hpi check- says car was cat c write off. Need some advice please

Found 2nd May 2013
Hi, going to buy a car. hpi check says the following

Insurance Write-off This registration was recorded as a Category C write-off on 14 Aug 2005.
Vehicle I.D. Check This registration is recorded as having passed a Vehicle Identity Check on 10 Jan 2007.

The last owner has had it for 3 years and it has MOT for 8 months and is taxed for 2 months. Apart from the re-sale value being low, is there anything i should be worried about?

Does the Vehicle Identity Check need to be done just once after it was declared a Cat C, is that right??

Basically i just need a car without having to worry about going for another VIC check or any hassle. Since the CAT C and VIC have been done such a long time ago, will there be any VIC hassle for me when it comes to reappling for tax/mot?

Apologies for being so clueless as google is not being my friend

Many thanks in advance to anyone who can give some good advice.

13 Comments

Banned

Apologies for being so clueless

We understand monkeybrains X)

You don't need to do the VIC again. You will need to tell your insurance company the car has been written off previously. Finally you need to check the car like you would any other. If it was an insurance approved repair then it will have been done to a high standard.

Banned

Be careful with cat c, ive bought a few cat d's in the past (very cheaply) and out of them 2 had suspention problems which made the car hard/unsafe to drive.

Cat c is a substantial damaged vehicle (a grade higher than a cat d). Also heard people having problems insuring a cat c vehicle.

You shouldnt have any problems re taxing or further vic checks in the future but make sure the vehicle has been very well checked over, otherwise you might be paying more in the future to fix a constant problem as well as safety issues for you.

mittu1

You don't need to do the VIC again. You will need to tell your insurance … You don't need to do the VIC again. You will need to tell your insurance company the car has been written off previously. Finally you need to check the car like you would any other. If it was an insurance approved repair then it will have been done to a high standard.

It was an insurance total loss claim, so unlikely to be an " insurance approved " repair.

Personally, I would avoid like the plague.

Steer clear of CAT C, unless it is damaged at the time of purchase. That way you know what work needs to be done and it hasn't been fixed on the cheap. You could have a car that seems OK but with substantial chassis damage or similar issues which wouldn't be worth the price difference.

I have entertained the idea of cat c cars were I have purchased them from the company that has repaired them, still check very carefully though. If I was to buy from a third party I would probably get the RAC/AA to do a full vehicle check just to be safe, failing that do you know anyone who can get it up on a ramp with the knowledge to give it a good check underneath?

We brought a cat c write off from an approved repairers, knew exactly what had been repaired, also independant local garage we have used for a long time checked it over before we parted with cash,had a couple of niggles in the first few months which they put right without question. Has passed mot for 3 years, no work needed, no recommendations . Maybe we were just lucky?

Edited by: "paulathompson" 2nd May 2013

How old is the car? Cat C just means beyond economical repair. On the right vehicle that could mean a dented door.......

Banned

Keep away from CAT C

Inactive

Cat C means that it has suffered serious damage at some time.Best avoid.

No it doesn't. My Car ( Mercedes CLK230K on a 51) was given a Cat 'C' and all it needed was a Bonnet & Headlight and minor paint touch up. It has no damage that would affect the Car itself. Cat 'C' when you know what you're talking about, mean's no more than it was an un-economical repair for the insurance company. However, it could be repaired and put back on the road with the relevant repairs done by a private owner. I wish people wouldn't jump to conclusions and talk nonesense about a subjec they obviously know little about. It's the same as saying "it's been in a bad smash, don't touch it". Total jibberish. My accident was a 15mph bump....no more. I bet my CLK looks a damn sight better than most. Infact, it looks better than my Porsche which has never had a prang. Moral= If you don't know, either word it differentor shush. Cat 'C' & 'D' purchases have risen by 11% this year (2015). Cheap motoring.

Inactive

Cat C means that it has suffered serious damage at some time.Best avoid.

No it doesn't. My Car ( Mercedes CLK230K on a 51) was given a Cat 'C' and all it needed was a Bonnet & Headlight and minor paint touch up. It has no damage that would affect the Car itself. Cat 'C' when you know what you're talking about, mean's no more than it was an un-economical repair for the insurance company. However, it could be repaired and put back on the road with the relevant repairs done by a private owner. I wish people wouldn't jump to conclusions and talk nonesense about a subject they obviously know little about. It's the same as saying "it's been in a bad smash, don't touch it". Total jibberish. My accident was a 15mph bump....no more. I bet my CLK looks a damn sight better than most. Infact, it looks better than my Porsche which has never had a prang. Moral= If you don't know, either word it different or shush. Cat 'C' & 'D' purchases have risen by 11% this year (2015). Cheap motoring. No coincidence.

You registered to reply to a post thats nearly 2 years old .....oO

You checked it out!......& so will others in the future!!!
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants