Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

HSBC telephone banking asked lots of questions about my employment

Posted 2nd DecEdited by:"ThePuppyDuggy"
Ive been with HSBC for over 10yrs. I joined as a student.
Yesterday i was prevented from signing up to a new mobile contract because my telephone number was out of date. Unfortunately updating it via internet banking did not work because my secure key battery died.
Instead i called HSBC telephone bank and then the situation began.
In addition to updating my telephone, they asked:
Are you a student still?
Who is your employer?
How long have you been with them?
How much do you earn?
Weekly paid or monthly?
Do i work full-time or part-time?
Why is one payment slightly smaller?
Am i single?
Whats your status? Live with parents or homeowner?
What is your nationality?
Do you have a bank account abroad?

They checked my bank statements to confirm my salary and employer.

You get the drift, i twice challenged why they are asking all these questions when all i wanted was to update my number. They said they need to update because its been a long time. I said they are asking too much information and they said sorry you feel this way.

Why would they be asking all this? it seems really intrusive for banking.

UPDATE:
HSBC and Santander have agreed, following CMA action, to refund customers after they both broke a legal order. HSBC was found to have twice broken Part 6 of the Competition and Market Authority's (CMA) Retail Banking Market Investigation Order and is refunding £8m to 115,000 customers.

Recent News Article about HSBC and Santander Refund for overdraft charges

So basically because my mobile number was not up-to-date they couldnt send me text messages about going into my overdraft. So, they will have to refund me for unarranged overdraft fees. Now i understand why i was prompted to update my telephone number.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

31 Comments
Ive had my nationwide account since I was 16, and never been asked all that.
Edited by: "choccie32" 2nd Dec
i left this bank due to the fact when i was a student, took their interest free loan.
Before the year ended i was told to return the monies.

I did that and closed the account.
Information is very powerful tool these days, the more they know about you, the more they can manipulate you with product offers, eligibility etc etc etc
Not as bad as Santander, twice recently I tried to send money to friends abroad, both times they refused to allow the transaction as of course it has to be a scam that I am in love with a foreigner. Later I got a security call from them and they said if I try to send money abroad again my account will be closed as I must be money laundering!!!!! It was only a couple hundred pounds to the in-laws. I was gob smacked that I cant even spend my own money now!!
Just go in store and sort it out.....if they start asking similar question....then threaten to close account and move.
deleted152303202/12/2019 15:20

Just go in store and sort it out.....if they start asking similar …Just go in store and sort it out.....if they start asking similar question....then threaten to close account and move.

i will go to my local bank, whats happened is that they never in my time with them prompted me to update my details and telephone number, and now theyve been investigated by the CMA and told to refund customers who didnt receive text messages for going into their overdrafts.
I'll definetly be pursuing a refund on my overdraft charges
googley202/12/2019 14:58

Not as bad as Santander, twice recently I tried to send money to friends …Not as bad as Santander, twice recently I tried to send money to friends abroad, both times they refused to allow the transaction as of course it has to be a scam that I am in love with a foreigner. Later I got a security call from them and they said if I try to send money abroad again my account will be closed as I must be money laundering!!!!! It was only a couple hundred pounds to the in-laws. I was gob smacked that I cant even spend my own money now!!

They may be stopping you because of the destination country (due to specific sanctions), your nationality, or the nationality of the recipient. Also, if the destination party has any political associations this may lead to further scrutiny.

In those four lines above you changed the definition of the recipients of the funds from "friends abroad" to "in-laws" so perhaps they do have a valid reason to investigate further.
fanpages02/12/2019 15:28

They may be stopping you because of the destination country (due to …They may be stopping you because of the destination country (due to specific sanctions), your nationality, or the nationality of the recipient. Also, if the destination party has any political associations this may lead to further scrutiny. In those four lines above you changed the definition of the recipients of the funds from "friends abroad" to "in-laws" so perhaps they do have a valid reason to investigate further.

This makes zero sense, i am british and have been all my life and they asked if ive changed my nationality? what kind of question is that?? When you open your account you declare your nationality then, who then changes it?
Also asking if i have a bank account abroad, thats an accusation that im money laundering. Considering theyve been investigated and told to repay £8million to customers, it isnt then appropriate to harass their customers is it? HSBC are disgusting!
ThePuppyDuggy02/12/2019 15:24

i will go to my local bank, whats happened is that they never in my time …i will go to my local bank, whats happened is that they never in my time with them prompted me to update my details and telephone number, and now theyve been investigated by the CMA and told to refund customers who didnt receive text messages for going into their overdrafts.I'll definetly be pursuing a refund on my overdraft charges

Why would they reimburse you overdraft charges?
You're the one who didn't update your correct phone number, so they obviously couldn't send you text messages.
Your chances of getting any compo are slim to none, and slim has just left the building.
chimp14uk02/12/2019 15:56

Why would they reimburse you overdraft charges?You're the one who didn't …Why would they reimburse you overdraft charges?You're the one who didn't update your correct phone number, so they obviously couldn't send you text messages.Your chances of getting any compo are slim to none, and slim has just left the building.

The worlds went daft, they should charge more if your not paying back...
ThePuppyDuggy02/12/2019 15:49

This makes zero sense, i am british and have been all my life and they …This makes zero sense, i am british and have been all my life and they asked if ive changed my nationality? what kind of question is that?? When you open your account you declare your nationality then, who then changes it?Also asking if i have a bank account abroad, thats an accusation that im money laundering. Considering theyve been investigated and told to repay £8million to customers, it isnt then appropriate to harass their customers is it? HSBC are disgusting!

I lived abroad and have another account abroad but I’m not a money launderer...
also what about people who get married and want to become a British citizen, or have children abroad to a British parent and want their kids to get British passport...

so the bank asks the same questions to everyone as they are standard, people do have outside of little Britain...
Quite easy to identify the reasoning behind the suggested barrage of questions: file formal complaint. Simply cite bullet-pointed statements, similar to:
on xx mm yyy I had reason to contact (insert contact mechanism) to update (insert whatever needed updating).
(insert organisation name) system to update (insert WNU...) required me to provide a significant amount of unrelated personal data, such as (insert dull list).
Q1) Please identify the legislation that requires (insert org name) to demand such information to uniquely facillitate updating of (insert WNU) request.
Q2) If there is no legislation requiring (insert org name) to demand such excessive information, please identify and provide the (insert org name) policy / procedure identifying why (insert org name) choses to demand such excessive information to uniquely facillitate updating of (insert WNU) request.
Q3) Please identify (insert org name) current mandatory information requirements to facillitate updating of customer's (insert WNU).
I have occasional literacy issues that leaves me vulnerable to misunderstandings and possible detriment. Please respond to my complaint in clear text quoting the relevant Q reference to each element of your response.
Regards

They may be stopping you because of the destination country (due to …They may be stopping you because of the destination country (due to specific sanctions), your nationality, or the nationality of the recipient. Also, if the destination party has any political associations this may lead to further scrutiny. In those four lines above you changed the definition of the recipients of the funds from "friends abroad" to "in-laws" so perhaps they do have a valid reason to investigate further.

No, one transaction was to my nephew-in-law as he needed as new laptop for starting Uni and the parents didnt have the money and the other was to a friend who I have known for a long time, there was one month between the transactions and going to 2 different people in 2 different countries.
googley202/12/2019 17:09

No, one transaction was to my nephew-in-law as he needed as new laptop for …No, one transaction was to my nephew-in-law as he needed as new laptop for starting Uni and the parents didnt have the money and the other was to a friend who I have known for a long time, there was one month between the transactions and going to 2 different people in 2 different countries.

Either country may have had restrictions due to events around the world, or (direct/indirect) connections to the individual recipients may have already been a cause for concern or, simply, the bank's internal policies to "know your counterparty"/"know your customer" (KYC) could have come into play because certain information (that used to be optional & is now considered mandatory) had not been collected.

Don't take it personally. Would you prefer checks like this were not done, & money from criminal activities was easily distributed globally, or would you welcome the procedures & policies that stop the transfer of illicit funds before they go overseas so that money laundering doies not take place?
AndyRoyd02/12/2019 16:34

Quite easy to identify the reasoning behind the suggested barrage of …Quite easy to identify the reasoning behind the suggested barrage of questions: file formal complaint. Simply cite bullet-pointed statements, similar to:on xx mm yyy I had reason to contact (insert contact mechanism) to update (insert whatever needed updating).(insert organisation name) system to update (insert WNU...) required me to provide a significant amount of unrelated personal data, such as (insert dull list).Q1) Please identify the legislation that requires (insert org name) to demand such information to uniquely facillitate updating of (insert WNU) request.Q2) If there is no legislation requiring (insert org name) to demand such excessive information, please identify and provide the (insert org name) policy / procedure identifying why (insert org name) choses to demand such excessive information to uniquely facillitate updating of (insert WNU) request.Q3) Please identify (insert org name) current mandatory information requirements to facillitate updating of customer's (insert WNU).I have occasional literacy issues that leaves me vulnerable to misunderstandings and possible detriment. Please respond to my complaint in clear text quoting the relevant Q reference to each element of your response.Regards

thank you for the help, but where you said it's quite easy to identify the reasoning behind it? what is the reason then?
i guess they want an up to profile so they can match their services to you.
i moved to hsbc just to get 175 quid switching fee, and they asked the same questions.
i guess if i did not earn enough they would have refused to give me the advance account since it mentions its for people paying in 1750 a month

This makes zero sense, i am british and have been all my life and they …This makes zero sense, i am british and have been all my life and they asked if ive changed my nationality? what kind of question is that?? When you open your account you declare your nationality then, who then changes it?...

Do you mean you didn't understand why sanctions are imposed?

Perhaps the information you previously provided had not been recorded correctly when you opened the account, or they were querying if you had ever lived/worked outside the UK, or any number of reasons that you can have sought clarification upon at the time your conversation with your bank was taking place.

Yes, a Nationality (or Citizenship) could become a Dual Citizenship at any point in your life.

Are you now married, & were you single when you opened the account? That could be one such point in your life where your Nationality status may change.

...Also asking if i have a bank account abroad, thats an accusation that …...Also asking if i have a bank account abroad, thats an accusation that im money laundering. Considering theyve been investigated and told to repay £8million to customers, it isnt then appropriate to harass their customers is it? HSBC are disgusting!

No, that is asking if you have a bank account abroad.

If you have such a problem with HSBC may I suggest you close your account?
lumsdot02/12/2019 17:32

i guess they want an up to profile so they can match their services to …i guess they want an up to profile so they can match their services to you.i moved to hsbc just to get 175 quid switching fee, and they asked the same questions.i guess if i did not earn enough they would have refused to give me the advance account since it mentions its for people paying in 1750 a month

Of course... generating £175 out of, effecitvely, nothing, is a way to build-up funds to transfer overseas. They are just verifying your intentions.

It isn't just HSBC that do these checks.
chimp14uk02/12/2019 15:56

Why would they reimburse you overdraft charges?You're the one who didn't …Why would they reimburse you overdraft charges?You're the one who didn't update your correct phone number, so they obviously couldn't send you text messages.Your chances of getting any compo are slim to none, and slim has just left the building.

Oh okay, so did they ever prompt me to update my details like every other bank ive got? no
Did they ever update their security to have text message 'one time' access codes? no
Did they tell customers that they will improve communication by text messages? no.
Thats why £8million is being refunded to customers!

Iive got a nationwide bank account and it warned me by text beforehand that id go into my overdraft if i dont reimburse my account in a few days. I then gladly did so. My credit card warns me by text to pay by a certain date, they text me one time access codes to counter fraud. HSBC and Santander failed to warn customers. It's amazing that you criticise people when it's the banks responsibility to improve security and measures to ensure customers dont fall into traps.
fanpages02/12/2019 17:38

Do you mean you didn't understand why sanctions are imposed?Perhaps the …Do you mean you didn't understand why sanctions are imposed?Perhaps the information you previously provided had not been recorded correctly when you opened the account, or they were querying if you had ever lived/worked outside the UK, or any number of reasons that you can have sought clarification upon at the time your conversation with your bank was taking place.Yes, a Nationality (or Citizenship) could become a Dual Citizenship at any point in your life.Are you now married, & were you single when you opened the account? That could be one such point in your life where your Nationality status may change.No, that is asking if you have a bank account abroad.If you have such a problem with HSBC may I suggest you close your account?

not until they refund me the overdraft interest, only then will i consider it.
ThePuppyDuggy02/12/2019 17:41

Oh okay, so did they ever prompt me to update my details like every other …Oh okay, so did they ever prompt me to update my details like every other bank ive got? noDid they ever update their security to have text message 'one time' access codes? noDid they tell customers that they will improve communication by text messages? no.Thats why £8million is being refunded to customers!Iive got a nationwide bank account and it warned me by text beforehand that id go into my overdraft if i dont reimburse my account in a few days. I then gladly did so. My credit card warns me by text to pay by a certain date, they text me one time access codes to counter fraud. HSBC and Santander failed to warn customers. It's amazing that you criticise people when it's the banks responsibility to improve security and measures to ensure customers dont fall into traps.

You need to stay off the weed or whatever you're on.
How can the bank possibly text you if you haven't updated your mobile number?
It's was your responsibility and you shirked it.
And you expect compo!
You're having a laugh.
fanpages02/12/2019 17:38

...If you have such a problem with HSBC may I suggest you close your …...If you have such a problem with HSBC may I suggest you close your account?

ThePuppyDuggy02/12/2019 17:54

not until they refund me the overdraft interest, only then will i consider …not until they refund me the overdraft interest, only then will i consider it.

That's the spirit. How very British of you.
ThePuppyDuggy02/12/2019 17:29

thank you for the help, but where you said it's quite easy to identify the …thank you for the help, but where you said it's quite easy to identify the reasoning behind it? what is the reason then?

The reason will be expalined by the perpretator in response to your complaint, assuming the literacy issues mentioned do not prevent you from being able to read.
ThePuppyDuggy02/12/2019 17:29

thank you for the help, but where you said it's quite easy to identify the …thank you for the help, but where you said it's quite easy to identify the reasoning behind it? what is the reason then?

The apparent excessive req for personal info may be related to HSBCs ramble about "Safeguard", but if you don't ask HSBC (such as via the prev suggested complaint text) you won't know, you'll (presumably) just continue to stumble from forum to forum with no real understanding of why, and likely be distracted by equally likely unrelated issues
hsbc.co.uk/hel…ou/
AndyRoyd02/12/2019 18:43

The apparent excessive req for personal info may be related to HSBCs …The apparent excessive req for personal info may be related to HSBCs ramble about "Safeguard", but if you don't ask HSBC (such as via the prev suggested complaint text) you won't know, you'll (presumably) just continue to stumble from forum to forum with no real understanding of why, and likely be distracted by equally likely unrelated issueshttps://www.hsbc.co.uk/help/security-centre/hsbc-safeguard/faqs/hsbc-safeguard-and-you/

AndyRoyd02/12/2019 18:12

The reason will be expalined by the perpretator in response to your …The reason will be expalined by the perpretator in response to your complaint, assuming the literacy issues mentioned do not prevent you from being able to read.

I did feel this was the case as mentioned before where i said that theyve failed to update customer details and as a result have to refund £8million in overdraft charges. However, the perpetrator failed to explain why they made excessive requests. Thanks for your research, you have been very helpful.
AndyRoyd02/12/2019 18:12

The reason will be expalined by the perpretator in response to your …The reason will be expalined by the perpretator in response to your complaint, assuming the literacy issues mentioned do not prevent you from being able to read.

expalined... Sarah or Michael?
fanpages02/12/2019 18:51

expalined... Sarah or Michael?

You mean Adele or Matthew, or maybe (likely?) I misinterpret.
It doesn’t sound like you’ll be owed a refund just on the fact you didn’t receive the text alerts, HSBC will have been sending them to you but you didn’t supply a correct number.

If however you fall under the customers where HSBC didn’t actually send a text out, then you will.
I'd imagine the questions are so they can try and offer you a mortgage or upgrade your account....basically anything to get more money out of you.
Like when you go to the Post Office to send a parcel and they witter on about bank accounts, broadband, mortgages etc.
I worked for Woolwich/Barclays many years ago doing telephone banking. Now I know from your point of view all these questions seemed intrusive, and I don't know their policy. However take a step back and think, it's important for a bank to have up to date details for their protection as much as it is for yours.
From the sounds of things you have little reason to see or speak to them in person so this was their opportunity to get things up to date. If you believe it wasn't necessary and fair, try opening a new account as I'm sure you will get asked many of those questions.
ThePuppyDuggy02/12/2019 17:41

Oh okay, so did they ever prompt me to update my details like every other …Oh okay, so did they ever prompt me to update my details like every other bank ive got? noDid they ever update their security to have text message 'one time' access codes? noDid they tell customers that they will improve communication by text messages? no.Thats why £8million is being refunded to customers!Iive got a nationwide bank account and it warned me by text beforehand that id go into my overdraft if i dont reimburse my account in a few days. I then gladly did so. My credit card warns me by text to pay by a certain date, they text me one time access codes to counter fraud. HSBC and Santander failed to warn customers. It's amazing that you criticise people when it's the banks responsibility to improve security and measures to ensure customers dont fall into traps.

ThePuppyDuggy02/12/2019 17:54

So basically because my mobile number was not up-to-date they couldnt send …So basically because my mobile number was not up-to-date they couldnt send me text messages about going into my overdraft. So, they will have to refund me for unarranged overdraft fees. Now i understand why i was prompted to update my telephone number.

I think you've misunderstood the article you're quoting. HSBC isn't refunding customers because they failed to provide an up-to-date mobile number, they're refunding customers who followed the correct procedure, kept their number up to date, and then HSBC failed to warn them about an overdraft using that number. One of those scenarios, HSBC had a rule of not disturbing customers past a certain time in the evening, which resulted in some customers receiving the overdraft in the morning, after the charges had been applied after hours the following evening.

HSBC doesn't have a crystal ball, they have no way of knowing that you have changed your mobile number and haven't told them, that is entirely your responsibility, which you failed to do.

Part 23.2 of the Competition and Market Authority's (CMA) Retail Banking Market Investigation Order gives a list of exemptions to the banks requirements to send an alert, point 5 is relevant.
"23.2.5 has not provided a valid UK registered mobile phone number (the Provider having complied with its obligations under Article 26) unless they are able to receive Alerts via a mobile banking application which does not require a UK registered mobile phone number and the customer has opted to do so."
assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/gov…pdf

If you do by chance receive some compensation, which is estimated to be only £70 per person, count yourself very lucky as you're not entitled to a penny.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants