Found 3rd Jan 2011
Has anyone got the HTC Desire Z here? (The one with the keyboard) Is it worth getting? I want a keyboard phone and Android seems the better option right now unless there are other, better phones out there with a keyboard.

Cheapest price is around £360 or so sim free. Looking for the cheapest price as unfortunately Orange don't have it on their website (end of contract in a month's time) so I won't get the best deal if I use a 3rd party website.

I've been waiting for the price to drop contract-wise and SIM free which I have seen (then it goes back up again) but if there is a nice keyboard phone coming soon I don't mind waiting for that either.

9 Comments

£360 is a good price for the phone. It is a superb phone by the way!.
There aren't any other decent keyboard phones imminent.
If you've got any questions about it, I will be happy to help

Edited by: "screamingninja" 3rd Jan 2011

Original Poster

Have you faced any problems on this phone or found any features you didn't like? When I had my first android I didn't like the way texts are in threads (I preferred individual) but eventually got used to it. Did you have any of those issues at the beginning, or anything else with the phone right now which might bug you but you may be used to?

anhf

Have you faced any problems on this phone or found any features you … Have you faced any problems on this phone or found any features you didn't like? When I had my first android I didn't like the way texts are in threads (I preferred individual) but eventually got used to it. Did you have any of those issues at the beginning, or anything else with the phone right now which might bug you but you may be used to?

Firstly I came to realise, after much procrastination, that there is no perfect phone. Hower, this phone, for me. is as close to perfect as a phone can get.

One issue with the phone is that in the HTC homescreens, rather than the screen rotating automatically when you turn the phone on its side like other smartphones, you have to pull the keyboard out. This is not really a big deal though. There is a solution to this, called LauncherPro; essentially an homescreen addon which also allows a lot of customisation.

Another issue that you may have read about is the hinge of the phone causing the screen not to rest on the rest of the phone causing some play on pressing when the keyboard is out. Also there is some play when sides of the screen part when the keyboard is back in. This is an issue which effects all Desire Z phones and I knew about it before buying. It doesn't bother me at all and I can be quite pedantic when it comes to things like this.

Another main issue for me is email handling. The phone comes with HTC's own email app and also a Gmail app. I really wanted push email. I tried the Gmail app with my main email account, which has nearly 4000 messages, and via IMAP it wants to download all my emails and there are few ways of changing settings effectively. I tried a third party app, K-9, which worked better but after experiencing issues with that, I've gone back to HTC's own mail app, set to download messages from the last 30 days only and for the moment I'm happy. The only issue that the HTC app does not support push email, meaning that the minimum time interval for send/receive is 5 minutes. Not really a big deal but I'm sure fairly soon, there will be an ideal email app for me. Not that these issues will not be particular to the Desire Z but will also be present in all android phones.

For SMS, I quickly ditched the pre-installed app and installed Handcent (free). This handles SMS much better but my phone is on charge at the moment so I cannot check whether you can spread the SMS messages into an individual list.. I'd be surprised if you can't.

Apart from the above, everything seems to work very well. I have had the phone for a few days now and have been using it very extensively, installing and experimenting with lots of apps and settings, finding what works best for me. Customising it very addictive!!

Hope that helps. If anything else springs to mind, I'll reply again with more info.

Edited by: "screamingninja" 3rd Jan 2011

Original Poster

The homescreen issue isn't a problem for me as I disabled the rotating screen after a month of the phone I was using.

The rest of what you have written seems more to do with general android than phone specific so it sounds good to me.

Have you seen the Orange San Francisco? When I first used it, I didn't adjust to the texting app and then installed Handcent which worked well for me. I then ended up deleting Handcent and never installing any similar apps to it because when I went to delete one message, my whole inbox emptied, and I usually keep importing texts and don't tend to back them up (not used to doing that and not really felt the need to). It must have been an error with Handcent at the time as prior to that it was working fine, but if the Desire Z messaging app is like the normal built in one in Orange San Francisco then that isn't a problem for me.

I've just had another look at Handcent. The only option I see to delete is 'delete thread' which works for a series of messages but there doesn't seem to be an option to delete a single message. Strange!! Deleting a thread doesn't delete the rest of my messages though so I'm not sure why that happened to you. Not seen the San Fransisco myself so I can't comment on whether it's the same stock SMS app or not. You can delete individual messages with the stock app though.

how long do u find the battery lasting on this fone?

Not very long, less than 24 hours. I have to charge it every night. This is the main problem with smartphones though I do have a portable charger and intend to buy a couple of spare batteries.

Edited by: "screamingninja" 7th Jan 2011

thanks. iv got 1 but its not lasting me through the day and thats with very little usage and most things turned off. pretty sure its a dud battery and i should b getting longer from, altho i know not to expect miracles!

I don't think you've got a duff battery; you may have but i doubt it. I assume you turn off everything that you don't need when you're not using them ie wifi, bluetooth, gps etc?
There's a great widget you can get called 'extended controls' which can sit on your homescreen and with which you can turn the main culprits on and off very easily.
Edited by: "screamingninja" 8th Jan 2011
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Power banks on European flights?1013
    2. Driving anxiety.2944
    3. Ea access code for xbox?22
    4. Best sub £100 and sub £50 android phones?11

See more discussions