HTC Hero to get Android 2.0 major upgrade with new "killer app" Google Navigator.

Found 2nd Nov 2009
I'd previously posted about Orange Maps being now available for the HTC Hero. hotukdeals.com/ite…874

"Momagic" pointed out on that thread that Google Navigation would be free and therefore Orange Maps wouldnt be needed - (credit therefore to Momagic).

I wasnt sure what that meant to went a-googling about Google Navigation and it looks great.

To save anyone else from having to search - it has just been announced that the HTC Hero will be getting the 2.0 upgrade (codename Eclaire) although a release date hasn't been announced it looks as if it will be out before the end of the year.

brighthand.com/def…2.0

This will be a major upgrade and included will be "Google Navigation" which looks excellent & will likely blow Orange Maps out of the water.

gizmodo.com/539…ect

Most reviews also indicate that this development may have a huge impact on the "traditional" Sat-Nav market - why pay for a seperate device when you can have something that does it all for free. Apparently Since the announcement of Google Navigation Tom-Tom share prices have taken a hit.

To be honest once Google Navigation is out the only plus point that Orange Maps will have is that any downloads they need to work are free on selected plans - I'm not sure how much data Google Navigation will use & therefore potentially cost. (Fingers crossed that its download needs are minimal).

Amazing what they can do nowadays - innit

12 Comments

Google Sat Nav is not on Android 2.0 outside America. :x

Not really a deal anyway as just updating your OS and no set date anyhow. :roll:

Original Poster

teerex;6759735

Google Sat Nav is not on Android 2.0 outside America. :x

Where did you find it wouldnt be coming to the UK ? These seems to indicate otherwise

telegraph.co.uk/tec…tml

]http//ww…82/

We already get basic directions & GPS location on our Heros using Google Maps so I cant imagine any reason Google wont make this global.

teerex;6759735

Not really a deal anyway as just updating your OS and no set date anyhow. … Not really a deal anyway as just updating your OS and no set date anyhow. :roll:

Who said it was a deal - its posted in freebies!

Just trying to give folks a heads up........

Original Poster

Moved to Misc so the minimum of people will see it....

Maybe shouldnt have bothered.

I'm looking for the best deal for this phone.... Is it worth getting?

Original Poster

I'm not sure what the best deal is at the moment but I am sure that its worth getting.

Best & most versatile phone I've owned by a mile.

Tomb;6761661

I'm not sure what the best deal is at the moment but I am sure that its … I'm not sure what the best deal is at the moment but I am sure that its worth getting.Best & most versatile phone I've owned by a mile.

Alright cheers, I love tech and so i want this phone

Tomb;6760176

Where did you find it wouldnt be coming to the UK ? These seems to … Where did you find it wouldnt be coming to the UK ? These seems to indicate otherwisehttp://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/google/6462074/Is-Google-Maps-Navigation-a-satnav-killer.html]http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/technology/2009/10/29/techie-breakie-google-maps-gets-turn-by-turn-115875-21782182/We already get basic directions & GPS location on our Heros using Google Maps so I cant imagine any reason Google wont make this global.Saw it on gsmarena.com (http://www.gsmarena.com/google_maps_for_mobile_anounce_navigation_beta_for_android_20-news-1216.php) that it's only initially available in the good 'ol US of A. Agree that it'll come to us mere mortals eventually tho. Not having a go at you just stating my two pence :thumbsup:Who said it was a deal - its posted in freebies!Just trying to give folks a heads up........

I really want this phone to. Looking for the cheapest and here are the options I've found so far:
Expansys have it delivered for £376.60 with a £30 voucher (conditions apply to the voucher) expansys.com/d.a…566
Play.com have it delivered for £369.99 with possible quidco (£12ish?) play.com/Mob…tml
Insight have it delivered for £355.98 uk.insight.com/app…ERO best deal imho but not below that magic £350 yet worth holding out? Insight are always changing their prices.

I wouldn't put any of the above as deals yet as they'll be cold just because not many want to spend £350 on a phone (although I think its more a dream gadget with the excellent linux with a phone added on)

I'm tempted to go with insight right now

Oh, I've also been checking the america prices delivered here and there is little difference price and not worth search further.

maybe a tad bit off topic. But which network supplies the HTC Hero White Version?

Using google only shows the dodgy third-party companies. Does anyone know of a good deal with the White HTC Hero?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Do I need a gigabit switch or will 10/100mbps be sufficient11
    2. What's this on my neighbours roof?1820
    3. Gearbest: Order - Nowhere to be seen...33
    4. Is it illegal to sell train tickets?22

See more discussions