Expired

HTPC advice please.

Found 13th Jul 2013
Was hoping someone in the know could tell me if there's much difference between these three HTPC's.

m.ebuyer.com/482910

m.ebuyer.com/395449

cclonline.com/pro…D2/

Are the Lenovo and the CCL one worth the extra over the revo?

Thanks for any advice.
Community Updates
AskHome Cinema
15 Comments
I'd go for the cheapest Intel Celeron 887 one on eBuyer. It's a better CPU than the AMD E2 350 with the only thing it has over the Intel is more L2 cache per core but it's not anything noticeable. Also not sure if it would interest you but you could possibly make a better HTPC with one of the AMD Trinity CPU's on an ITX motherboard for a similar price.
Sir_Didymus

I'd go for the cheapest Intel Celeron 887 one on eBuyer. It's a better … I'd go for the cheapest Intel Celeron 887 one on eBuyer. It's a better CPU than the AMD E2 350 with the only thing it has over the Intel is more L2 cache per core but it's not anything noticeable. Also not sure if it would interest you but you could possibly make a better HTPC with one of the AMD Trinity CPU's on an ITX motherboard for a similar price.

Thanks.
Thank you.

I wouldn't know where to start.

I can put a PC together. That's the easy bit. They're pretty fool proof these days. But knowing what's CPU is better than the other etc is just a bafflement to me.

Don't need an os or HDD.
raspberry pi all day long
ewwaxo

Can I use raspberry pi to download from newsgroups? I have plenty of storage and since my desktop is aging it's easier to just download DVD's I've bought and put them on the hard drive instead of ripping them.

Does it ha e built in wifi?

I know it can run xbmc. Put how simple is installing things? Is it a case as double click a file and of it goes? Windows style. I'm looking for something simple.
Wotan

Thanks.Thank you. I wouldn't know where to start. I can put a PC … Thanks.Thank you. I wouldn't know where to start. I can put a PC together. That's the easy bit. They're pretty fool proof these days. But knowing what's CPU is better than the other etc is just a bafflement to me. Don't need an os or HDD.

Well the best thing to do would be to set yourself a budget and not go over that unless that extra £10-20 spend can be justified.

Also right now you'd want to be very wary of the price of Ram. Some silly prices floating around.

Look around for cheap bundles on CPU+MOBO+RAM. Works out cheaper sometimes and more convenient.

There's this AMD 5800k+mobo+ram bundle which would be perfect for a HTPC because of the awesome integrated 6670 GPU. Also remember that if you add another 6670 GPU it will crossfire and you will get double the performance so even capable of good gaming. Then get yourself a decent case and power supply bundle like the Cooler Master Elite 120 + PSU then you'll just need a HDD and optical drive which you probably own already. That comes to £226. £226 for a quadcore 3.8ghz HTPC powerhouse capable of gaming and amazing video playback in a very nice case.
Thank you. Appreciate the advice.
ewwaxo

Raspberry Pi...hit & miss with 1080p and not to mention it's sluggish for anything else other than XBMC. Probably better off buying a cheap dual core AMlogic Android stick for £40. At least you're guaranteed perfect 1080p streaming on XBMC with the added bonus of a full Android OS for a decent web browsing/gaming experience.
I assume the intel revo is better than this

ebuyer.com/500…014
Wotan

Can I use raspberry pi to download from newsgroups? I have plenty of … Can I use raspberry pi to download from newsgroups? I have plenty of storage and since my desktop is aging it's easier to just download DVD's I've bought and put them on the hard drive instead of ripping them. Does it ha e built in wifi?I know it can run xbmc. Put how simple is installing things? Is it a case as double click a file and of it goes? Windows style. I'm looking for something simple.

Try this from Futeko. Dualcore Amlogic Android HDMI stick. Perfect 1080p streaming. Added bonus of actually being able to do some decent web browsing. You can download torrents and files from newsgroups as there's loads of apps for that. Already comes with XBMC installed. You just need to download XBMC Hub Wizard. Click it once. You're set. Simplez. Here's a a video review of it.

Only £40 quid also and the cheap wireless keyboard and mouses from Tesco seem to work with them even though it comes with a decent remote but you might prefer a mouse and keyboard.

Oh and I had one of those to watch HD football on XBMC on my Footy Report and Offside Streams account. £3.99 for all the HD sport channels you could dream of which are on 24/7. Think Offside Stream might have removed some of their HD channels since I've not used it in a while but even their SD content was amazing.
Wotan

I assume the intel revo is better than this … I assume the intel revo is better than this http://www.ebuyer.com/500386-acer-revo-rl70-nettop-pc-dt-smgek-014

Not better. Very similar in performance. Nothing worth quibbling over. Get the cheapest option.
Sir_Didymus

Try this from Futeko. Dualcore Amlogic Android HDMI stick. Perfect 1080p … Try this from Futeko. Dualcore Amlogic Android HDMI stick. Perfect 1080p streaming. Added bonus of actually being able to do some decent web browsing. You can download torrents and files from newsgroups as there's loads of apps for that. Already comes with XBMC installed. You just need to download XBMC Hub Wizard. Click it once. You're set. Simplez. Here's a a video review of it.Only £40 quid also and the cheap wireless keyboard and mouses from Tesco seem to work with them even though it comes with a decent remote but you might prefer a mouse and keyboard.Oh and I had one of those to watch HD football on XBMC on my Footy Report and Offside Streams account. £3.99 for all the HD sport channels you could dream of which are on 24/7. Think Offside Stream might have removed some of their HD channels since I've not used it in a while but even their SD content was amazing.

Thank you. That looks the dogs. I'm interested in finding out about streaming the HD sports channels. So will look into that.

Sir_Didymus

Well the best thing to do would be to set yourself a budget and not go … Well the best thing to do would be to set yourself a budget and not go over that unless that extra £10-20 spend can be justified.Also right now you'd want to be very wary of the price of Ram. Some silly prices floating around.Look around for cheap bundles on CPU+MOBO+RAM. Works out cheaper sometimes and more convenient. There's this AMD 5800k+mobo+ram bundle which would be perfect for a HTPC because of the awesome integrated 6670 GPU. Also remember that if you add another 6670 GPU it will crossfire and you will get double the performance so even capable of good gaming. Then get yourself a decent case and power supply bundle like the Cooler Master Elite 120 + PSU then you'll just need a HDD and optical drive which you probably own already. That comes to £226. £226 for a quadcore 3.8ghz HTPC powerhouse capable of gaming and amazing video playback in a very nice case.

This thread isn't really anything to do with me, but it's guys like you that take the time to offer in depth help that makes this place great, at times. Props to you sir.
Edited by: "moob" 14th Jul 2013
Had a little think and my main desktop has an old core2duo.

What I might do is get the above bundle or the maplin i3 bundle and put them in my desktop. Then put the desktop mobo/ram/cpu in the media pc I already have (it's old and faulty).
Revo is down to £165, but I'm still not sure if I'd be better off building my own. The AMD bundle above, plus case etc takes it over £200 and I don't want to spend that. But if I got a celeron G550, motherboard, 4gb ram and the coolermaster case works out arund the same price as the revo, I just have no idea if it would be better performance wise and worth the extra effort of putting it together.
I perfer to the lenovo ,USB3.0 is the point.
USB2.0 means a disaster if you want to move the 1080P media files to a externel HDD
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions