HUAWEI P10 - LG G6 - SAMSUNG S8 ???

Found 30th Mar 2017
Im on the lookout for a phone to replace my aging Sony Z3 which has given me a few problems over the years. So not looking to go back to Sony phones.

I had Samsungs prior to the Sony which also gave me problems, and their repair centre is awful, they often said faults were water damage, when the phones had been nowhere near water..ever. So im kind of reluctant to go down the Samsung route again.

Chinese phones have been great for me, not one single fault and i've had the Honor, Lenovo..ect for a good 5 years now.

LG? never had one of their phones.

Huawei..my wife has one and is a great phone.

I want to buy outright, sim free.

What to choose?
Community Updates
28 Comments
I had the Samsung s7. such a boring phone.
I don't know much about the p10
lg 6 looks interesting
lg are good but i am in the same predicament as yourself with the sony xz premium thrown in
LG if photo quality is important. For me photos quality is very important (memories of kids growing, holidays, trips, whatever) so LG wins. I have a G5 but I'm not decided yet about the upgrade to G6. I think S8 is way too expensive for what is offers
Has anyone got the pixel and been disappointed? I find my s6 takes better photos.
Original Poster
ManasturRomania

LG if photo quality is important. For me photos quality is very important … LG if photo quality is important. For me photos quality is very important (memories of kids growing, holidays, trips, whatever) so LG wins. I have a G5 but I'm not decided yet about the upgrade to G6. I think S8 is way too expensive for what is offers

hmmm.. The Huawei range use twin Leica cameras which IMO give a good quality image in all lights.

Battery means more to me then joint second would be speed of the phone + camera.

Im more tempted by the P10 due to its larger battery size and smaller screen compared to the S8. The G6 comes with an even larger battery. But on tests the P10 out does the G6 in performance. The S8 doesn't have the basemark figures released yet.
J4GG4

hmmm.. The Huawei range use twin Leica cameras which IMO give a good … hmmm.. The Huawei range use twin Leica cameras which IMO give a good quality image in all lights.Battery means more to me then joint second would be speed of the phone + camera.Im more tempted by the P10 due to its larger battery size and smaller screen compared to the S8. The G6 comes with an even larger battery. But on tests the P10 out does the G6 in performance. The S8 doesn't have the basemark figures released yet.

The P10 should have better battery since it runs with a smaller display size and resolution than the G6.
Interesting that the European models for the LG G6 has features disabled/removed.
This Q1/2 phone releases seem to be focused on display and screen again. No love for battery.
At least Bluetooth 5 devices will soon come out since S8/S8 Plus will have it.
I'm in mid cycle so need to wait until next year.

The screens are certainly the focus of the Korean duo this year. Both the G6 and S8 have amazing screen to body ratios, but the aspect ratio will need apps to support it.

The P10 looks like a dark horse. The new Kirin processor is fast, unlike the poor Kirin 950 vs the Snapdragon 820. The G6 only uses the 821 which is barely an upgrade on the 820, and the S8 uses their Exynos here in the UK which again isn't a huge step on the 820.

I'd be playing with all 3 in person to see what you like the look of, as well as checking camera quality etc. Personally? Whichever one has the best deal may sway things as all 3 will perform pretty damn well.
I had an LG G4 for almost 22 months before it got stuck on a 'boot-loop' and refused to turn back on! It was a common fault for the G4 but it really puts me off the G6 - just a thought.
I had a Samsung Galaxy S7 but got fed up of the extra layer Samsung adds on top of Android and the apps installed by default which duplicate functions Android already does - and they are not uninstallable. I also found satnav location a bit laggy so the map showed me a few yards behind where I actually was, making complicated junctions a nightmare to navigate. This was the same no matter which navigation app I used. The camera was good - until you investigated more closely and saw how over-processed the results were. Then the updates - I like my updates and got fed up waiting for Samsung to release new firmware. I decided to sell my S7 and buy a Google Pixel. Now I have a very nice, pure-android phone with a better camera, perfect satnav location and updates as soon as they are released by Google. Took me a while to get to where I am, but I really should have done it sooner.

I had a Huawei P10 on pre-order from Carphone Warehouse but after watching a few online videos and reviews and seeing that nasty, ill-fitting screen protector (which is essential because the P10 has very little oleophobic protection on its screen) I decided to cancel my order. The 2.5D screen with a slight curve at the edge means that no screen protector will fit right up to the edges. I really couldn't live with that.
Edited by: "scgf" 30th Mar 2017
Original Poster
scgf

I had a Samsung Galaxy S7 but got fed up of the extra layer Samsung adds … I had a Samsung Galaxy S7 but got fed up of the extra layer Samsung adds on top of Android and the apps installed by default which duplicate functions Android already does - and they are not uninstallable. I also found satnav location a bit laggy so the map showed me a few yards behind where I actually was, making complicated junctions a nightmare to navigate. This was the same no matter which navigation app I used. The camera was good - until you investigated more closely and saw how over-processed the results were. Then the updates - I like my updates and got fed up waiting for Samsung to release new firmware. I decided to sell my S7 and buy a Google Pixel. Now I have a very nice, pure-android phone with a better camera, perfect satnav location and updates as soon as they are released by Google. Took me a while to get to where I am, but I really should have done it sooner.I had a Huawei P10 on pre-order from Carphone Warehouse but after watching a few online videos and reviews and seeing that nasty, ill-fitting screen protector (which is essential because the P10 has very little oleophobic protection on its screen) I decided to cancel my order. The 2.5D screen with a slight curve at the edge means that no screen protector will fit right up to the edges. I really couldn't live with that.

Problem with the pixel is the fact its got an inferior battery to all latest phones mentioned here. Also can't use your own micro sd card. Slower processor, inferior camera and IMO i think it looks a little like a toy than a phone with a phone bumper wrapped around it and two tone design. I prefer a sleeker look than that. Also isn't it made by HTC?.

You canceled your P10 order based on the fact it comes with a factory fitted screen protector?. I've watched a lot of reviews and i think it looks fine?. Im really edging towards the P10 and like you, i've been tempted by the CPW pre order for £569.
The Pixel has a Snapdragon 821 processor which is the same as on the just-released LG G6 and the OnePlus 3T. It's certainly no slouch. There's a video online which tests the batteries in several flagships and the Pixel does well - not the best, agreed, but for me as long as it lasts me a day I'm good. The camera - well, it has the best camera on any phone - Dxomark rates is as the best phone camera they have ever tested. They give it a score of 89 - the S7 and HTC 10 get 88 and the Huawei P10 gets 87. The Pixel doesn't win by a huge margin but it wins nonetheless. Its sensor uses 1.55µm pixels which are much larger than the ones used by Huawei - larger pixels effectively means greater light gathering ability and better quality in lower light levels. dxomark.com/Mob…les. I didn't believe the hype until I got a Nexus 5X a while back and the camera got me some of the best pictures I have ever taken. The Pixel has a very similar camera but tweaked and the auto HDR works at processor level so is instant.

I realise I'm going to sound a bit like an Apple apologist where they justify every omission on their favoured phone, but I had a 64GB SD card in my Samusung Galaxy S7 and I only used it because I could. I really didn't need it. I can even manage with a 16GB phone to be honest - everything is in the cloud for me and I'm a heavy mobile phone user. Google offers free full resolution photo and video backups with the Pixel - no limits either. I could go on, but IMO the Pixel is far from an inferior phone. The general consensus is that the P10 camera is very good but has issues in low light. The Pixel a very good across the board.

The Huawei P10 has a very light oleophobic coating on the display (verified by Huawei) meaning - not only will it very easily show fingermarks but will be difficult to clean. They provide a factory fitted plastic screen protector which has the oleophobic coating but it has gaps all around it and around the fingerprint sensor so looks pretty naff. Android Central warns users not to remove it. The screen on a phone is pretty much the interface between human and device so it needs to please. I'm a little OCD about these things and if something like this stands out before I buy I know it is going to be a significant issue for me.

I have owned Google Nexus phones in the past and I do love it that upgrades come in a timely fashion along with security patches monthly. I'm not sure I can trust Huawei to deliver - certainly not going by their lack of support for previous models. I wasn't looking forward to the P10's EMUI 5.1 layer on top of Android. Any upgrade takes time because it has to take into account this extra layer.

As regards looks - I have a black hard plastic case on my black Pixel, just like I did with my black Galaxy S7 and to be honest it doesn't look that different. I don't like the two-tone back of the Pixel either but I wouldn't use a flagship phone without a case so I knew that would be hidden straight away.
Edited by: "scgf" 30th Mar 2017
LG G6 What A Phone
Its Worth It
I had issues with the LG G2 and G3. Never getting them again as they have that boot loop issue.

Also had the infamous screen flicker with the G3.

LG are not reliable over the long term in my opinion, no secret that they have bootloop issues over time.
I would either give the G6 a miss or wait a few months to hear if any issues come up, the past LG phones have had screen retention issues, my G5 has recently been getting worse for it, LG won't do anything about it and don't want to know.
The G6 for me. Had a preproduction model for a couple of weeks, felt good in the hand. Performance & battery life were good too. Been using the P10 the last couple of weeks, and it's a good phone, no doubts about it, but I wish I still had the G6. So much so that I'm buying one when it becomes available in the UK.
As above, don't remove the P10's factory fitted screen protector, it turns into a greasy slice of pizza if you do.
Original Poster
stoney73

The G6 for me. Had a preproduction model for a couple of weeks, felt good … The G6 for me. Had a preproduction model for a couple of weeks, felt good in the hand. Performance & battery life were good too. Been using the P10 the last couple of weeks, and it's a good phone, no doubts about it, but I wish I still had the G6. So much so that I'm buying one when it becomes available in the UK. As above, don't remove the P10's factory fitted screen protector, it turns into a greasy slice of pizza if you do.

Whats your opinion on the main differences pro's cons of each handset?.
I've the s7 edge....best phone I have had. Does everything I need when I need it. Touch wiz not an issue as my last phone was a note 4. Everything just works. I have a 128gb card installed so all the capacity for me....

looking at the g6 and s8 closely.....need to see what early adopter feedback is like first. To be honest, Samsung could have held off releasing the S8 as the S7 Edge is such a good phone. Do like the sound of the dual Bluetooth feature as all my head phones and speakers are Bluetooth.....
Currently have the Huawei P9 and am loving it against 5 years of Samsung android mobiles. Camera, smaller footprint, battery, speed have been the stand out points.
The Pixel is complete trash. People had high hopes for it but was a total let down. And that's not even mentioning the lack of an SD card slot!

I have a Huawei P9 and totally satisfied with the battery life - I drove down from the north to cornwall ~7 hour drive in one go using google maps and didn't have a car charger yet still had battery life left afterwards. I often listen to music for hours using bluetooth and browsing websites on my phone and i'll still have battery life left at the end of the day. It doesn't have a super charge like some phones, but i've never needed it.

I'm quite impressed with the camera although I haven't had a decent phone camera before this. Some colours were a bit screwed up when taking photos of red/pink flowers, but other than that pretty good!

Some photos I took using the P9's camera the other week - Keep in mind these are just point and shoot, no fancy camera work:

https://i.imgur.com/WgzoqDe.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Yuh3WeV.jpg

An example of the messed up/over saturated colours of reds/pinks:

https://i.imgur.com/QicCcl6.jpg

I'm not sure how different the P10 is compared to the P9, but if they fix the camera issue i'd have no problem upgrading!
PenguinsForAll

The Pixel is complete trash.

Really? It has won award after award for the best mobile of the year. Complete trash? So if the Pixel is complete trash how about the huge number of lesser phones? Are they utter trash, or mega trash? You prefer the P9 - fair enough. How long did you use a Pixel for? Which model did you own? What specifically didn't you like?
A couple of pics taken on my Google Nexus 5X which has a previous version of the Pixel camera. Handheld indoors, no flash.

http://madgestevens.net/Pic%201.jpg

http://madgestevens.net/Pic%202.jpg
scgf

Really? It has won award after award for the best mobile of the year. … Really? It has won award after award for the best mobile of the year. Complete trash? So if the Pixel is complete trash how about the huge number of lesser phones? Are they utter trash, or mega trash? You prefer the P9 - fair enough. How long did you use a Pixel for? Which model did you own? What specifically didn't you like?

I'm not saying it's trash compared to x phones, but a complete let down to what specs Google should have offered at that price point, and being a flagship model from such a company - so to me, it is trash.

Google's earlier models were pretty good, even leading the way in some areas but their Pixel was a let down. It was missing important features like what J4GG4 mentioned earlier.

And the price tag starting at £600 for SIM Free is crazy high, no SD slot so you'll want that 128GB internal storage which means you're now out £700. Or if you want the XL version it's now £819. You could buy almost two Huawei P9's for that (for example).
Point taken. I'm more than happy with 32GB internal memory - what do you use your SD card for? In the old days people stuffed their phones full of music and video - now we stream from the likes of Spotify. I can watch all my home movies on the go, streaming from my Plex server at home. Photos and videos are stored in the cloud and the Pixel clears out local copies should you wish. I suppose if you're a gamer and have loads of games installed then you might need the extra memory. I am a heavy user of phones - but I am not a gamer. Currently I have everything I could possibly need, including SatNav maps etc. and have used 14.2GB of the 32GB internal memory - and that includes the Android OS itself. Our choice of phones is completely personal and we all have a list of what we consider important - for me pure Android and no bloat, an excellent camera and timely updates are important. We also have one or two absolute deal-breakers - for you it is the SD card, for me it is the lack of oleophobic screen coating on the P10.
scgf

Point taken. I'm more than happy with 32GB internal memory - what do you … Point taken. I'm more than happy with 32GB internal memory - what do you use your SD card for? In the old days people stuffed their phones full of music and video - now we stream from the likes of Spotify. I can watch all my home movies on the go, streaming from my Plex server at home. Photos and videos are stored in the cloud and the Pixel clears out local copies should you wish. I suppose if you're a gamer and have loads of games installed then you might need the extra memory. I am a heavy user of phones - but I am not a gamer. Currently I have everything I could possibly need, including SatNav maps etc. and have used 14.2GB of the 32GB internal memory - and that includes the Android OS itself. Our choice of phones is completely personal and we all have a list of what we consider important - for me pure Android and no bloat, an excellent camera and timely updates are important. We also have one or two absolute deal-breakers - for you it is the SD card, for me it is the lack of oleophobic screen coating on the P10.

It's an odd choice about the P10 coating, not sure why they went that route.

But for my phone I save spotify music for offline listening, to not eat up data or rely on good signal and to have no delays on song changes, that alone is 9GB right now!

If you record videos in 4k or take many pics, that'll fill up storage fast. I don't have any interest in keeping my photos & videos on the cloud, rather have on my phone for immediate viewing and stored on my PC as backup.

Maybe when networks fix their coverage issues i'll re-consider using the cloud, but until then it's just not viable because there are too many times when signal is next to zero when travelling in the country.
Ahh, then I see your valid concerns about storage. Since I moved to the Three network there is rarely anywhere I go where there isn't a signal so cloud storage is a perfect solution for me. I cycle and even in remote areas I seem to have a good 3G or 4G signal. I also keep a lot of stuff on my NAS box at home and can access this as easily as Google Drive or Microsoft OneDrive. It is important for all of us to analyse our own usage scenario and decide on a phone accordingly.
As you're considering the P10, I'd recommend the P10 Plus for not a lot more - mainly for increased internal storage + ram (if you go for the 128+6Gb model), better 2K screen, better main cameras & larger capacilty battery.
Original Poster
Crossbow

As you're considering the P10, I'd recommend the P10 Plus for not a lot … As you're considering the P10, I'd recommend the P10 Plus for not a lot more - mainly for increased internal storage + ram (if you go for the 128+6Gb model), better 2K screen, better main cameras & larger capacilty battery.

Thanks but i wouldn't go for that as my jean pockets are quite shallow and already my Z3 sticks out a bit which looks stupid. So i would likely opt for the smaller version. I had a play with it in CPW today and the pixel. Both seemed great but the pixels rear design just puts me off.
J4GG4I

had a play with it in CPW today and the pixel. Both seemed great but the … had a play with it in CPW today and the pixel. Both seemed great but the pixels rear design just puts me off.

It did me too J4GG4. I hate that glass panel, but I knew I'd immediately pop a case on it. This is the one I bought for my black Pixel and it does look very nice!

http://madgestevens.net/case.jpg

Edited by: "scgf" 1st Apr 2017
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions