Huawei phones released before May 2019 may stop receiving software updates

Posted 17th Aug
Link

not great news for the likes of the P30 pro.

It's a great shame.
Community Updates
Misc
27 Comments
Oh what a surprise. Samsung only update 2-3 years depending on model.

Apple 5-6 years.
Bargainhead17/08/2020 10:45

Oh what a surprise. Samsung only update 2-3 years depending on model. …Oh what a surprise. Samsung only update 2-3 years depending on model. Apple 5-6 years.

Yes, but the p30 family would likely get updates for another year. This is because a temporary license to work with Google ran out, not because they don't want to.
Oh dear. I have a Huawei Mate 20 Pro. Worst case I'll keep it for another year and replace it.

Provided everything works normally, I'm not too concerned. Will monitor the situation.
Joshua_Blake17/08/2020 11:25

Oh dear. I have a Huawei Mate 20 Pro. Worst case I'll keep it for another …Oh dear. I have a Huawei Mate 20 Pro. Worst case I'll keep it for another year and replace it.Provided everything works normally, I'm not too concerned. Will monitor the situation.

My wife has the P20 pro, though I guess that's towards the end of its support lifecycle anyway. What's more uncertain is the techradar report says that apps may no longer get updates, but that's very unclear right now.
RadiantDuck17/08/2020 11:32

My wife has the P20 pro, though I guess that's towards the end of its …My wife has the P20 pro, though I guess that's towards the end of its support lifecycle anyway. What's more uncertain is the techradar report says that apps may no longer get updates, but that's very unclear right now.

Yes, that's one of my concerns too. If that happens I'll end up going to something like the OnePlus 8 Pro.
Bargainhead17/08/2020 10:45

Oh what a surprise. Samsung only update 2-3 years depending on model. …Oh what a surprise. Samsung only update 2-3 years depending on model. Apple 5-6 years.

This is greatly different though. It is not just OS updates, but updates to Google apps and security patches.
Surely if it stops it working properly you can return it for a refund as not fit for purpose
niconelove17/08/2020 11:59

Surely if it stops it working properly you can return it for a refund as …Surely if it stops it working properly you can return it for a refund as not fit for purpose

Good luck trying that one!
niconelove17/08/2020 11:59

Surely if it stops it working properly you can return it for a refund as …Surely if it stops it working properly you can return it for a refund as not fit for purpose

That’s the funniest thing I’ve seen today..
cecilmcroberts17/08/2020 11:41

This is greatly different though. It is not just OS updates, but updates …This is greatly different though. It is not just OS updates, but updates to Google apps and security patches.

OS updates normally stop after 2 years anyway so isn’t really an issue. As for the google apps updates this was happening before and people dismissed it and said it won’t be a problem lol..
Bargainhead17/08/2020 12:56

OS updates normally stop after 2 years anyway so isn’t really an issue. As …OS updates normally stop after 2 years anyway so isn’t really an issue. As for the google apps updates this was happening before and people dismissed it and said it won’t be a problem lol..

Not quite - a couple of years ago Huawei announced that their phones would have a certain amount of updates (especially the flagship range). Basically, 1 OS Version update - Android 9 to 10, 2 years of feature updates, and 3 years of security updates (even if that meant quarterly rather than monthly). I've never seen them announce anything since then in terms of that support.

In terms of the Google apps side of things, as long as the licence was in place, google could help solve problems with issues with other updates. That should now have ended.
Edited by: "alg" 17th Aug
alg17/08/2020 13:05

Not quite - a couple of years ago Huawei announced that their phones would …Not quite - a couple of years ago Huawei announced that their phones would have a certain amount of updates (especially the flagship range). Basically, 1 OS Version update - Android 9 to 10, 2 years of feature updates, and 3 years of security updates (even if that meant quarterly rather than monthly). I've never seen them announce anything since then in terms of that support.In terms of the Google apps side of things, as long as the licence was in place, google could help solve problems with issues with other updates. That should now have ended.

3 years isn’t bad for an Android security updates but still limited compared to other iOS. As for 1 os update that’s shocking really.

the licence issue came up before. It was all over the forums at the time..
Bargainhead17/08/2020 13:11

3 years isn’t bad for an Android security updates but still limited c …3 years isn’t bad for an Android security updates but still limited compared to other iOS. As for 1 os update that’s shocking really.the licence issue came up before. It was all over the forums at the time..

Huawei are (US Govt permitting), have been one of the better Android suppliers for the last few years. Certainly better than most. Motorola used to be touted as one of the best, but after they were sold to Lenovo things stagnated. Xioami tend to get 2 OS versions, but support with MIUI updates a lot longer.

You say that one OS version is shocking? Not sure why - to get round the issues of suppliers not updating their devices, more and more of the security and feature updates have been bundled into google services. So over the past few years, the OS version has become less relevant.

It just depends on the supplier.
alg17/08/2020 13:30

Huawei are (US Govt permitting), have been one of the better Android …Huawei are (US Govt permitting), have been one of the better Android suppliers for the last few years. Certainly better than most. Motorola used to be touted as one of the best, but after they were sold to Lenovo things stagnated. Xioami tend to get 2 OS versions, but support with MIUI updates a lot longer. You say that one OS version is shocking? Not sure why - to get round the issues of suppliers not updating their devices, more and more of the security and feature updates have been bundled into google services. So over the past few years, the OS version has become less relevant.It just depends on the supplier.

Still won’t help huawei if google don’t renew the license. I can see them starting there own os and store. Then there will be 3 players to choose from, which isn’t a bad thing for consumers..
Bargainhead17/08/2020 13:41

Still won’t help huawei if google don’t renew the license. I can see them s …Still won’t help huawei if google don’t renew the license. I can see them starting there own os and store. Then there will be 3 players to choose from, which isn’t a bad thing for consumers..

Why would they? They already have an OS and store? And the store is slowly starting to get some of the apps people haven been missing.
alg17/08/2020 13:44

Why would they? They already have an OS and store? And the store is slowly …Why would they? They already have an OS and store? And the store is slowly starting to get some of the apps people haven been missing.

So why are people concerned about it then? If they already have their own store.
Bargainhead17/08/2020 13:52

So why are people concerned about it then? If they already have their own …So why are people concerned about it then? If they already have their own store.

I think the issue is that their store is/was not as well stocked as the Google store. This may change over time.
I just bought a P20 Pro. Can return if I have to. I was planning on keeping for a few years. Unlikely?
Joshua_Blake17/08/2020 14:10

I think the issue is that their store is/was not as well stocked as the …I think the issue is that their store is/was not as well stocked as the Google store. This may change over time.

Pretty much - and even more so that apps people expect aren't there. So for example, banking apps. Having said that, Curve announced over the weekend they were coming to Huawei's app gallery - and they also power Samsung Pay iirc. Story covered - mightygadget.co.uk/hua…ng/ - as well as other places.
Just checked my Honor (Huawei) 8x and the latest Android security patch is 1st April 2020.
Seems a bit old? Or is it normal? Other family members have iPhones so can't compare with them.
u66454117/08/2020 21:20

Just checked my Honor (Huawei) 8x and the latest Android security patch is …Just checked my Honor (Huawei) 8x and the latest Android security patch is 1st April 2020.Seems a bit old? Or is it normal? Other family members have iPhones so can't compare with them.

In my experience Honor phones are always a few months behind, at least my Honor 8 always was.
u66454117/08/2020 21:20

Just checked my Honor (Huawei) 8x and the latest Android security patch is …Just checked my Honor (Huawei) 8x and the latest Android security patch is 1st April 2020.Seems a bit old? Or is it normal? Other family members have iPhones so can't compare with them.

Seems about right - according to consumer.huawei.com/en/…in/ your phone is on the quarterly list.
My MediaPad M5 is on May 2020, and my Honor 8s is on July 2020.
alg17/08/2020 21:31

Seems about right - according to …Seems about right - according to https://consumer.huawei.com/en/support/bulletin/ your phone is on the quarterly list.My MediaPad M5 is on May 2020, and my Honor 8s is on July 2020.

Cheers
Joshua_Blake17/08/2020 11:25

Oh dear. I have a Huawei Mate 20 Pro. Worst case I'll keep it for another …Oh dear. I have a Huawei Mate 20 Pro. Worst case I'll keep it for another year and replace it.Provided everything works normally, I'm not too concerned. Will monitor the situation.

My plan anyways, to run down my contract that ends August next year then jump straight into 5G, probably back to Samsung after what would be a decade by then (since S3)

However this could end up being sooner rather than later with the upgrade, if banking apps stop working on my Mate 20 Pro. If that’s the case then hopefully it happens by the turn of the year to lessen the impact of upgrading and paying for the contract on top, but the PAC 65075 notice early termination payment should be bearable by then
Edited by: "MrMaccieKFC" 17th Aug
And I thought the Xiaomi Mi Mix 3 5g was the black sheep in the family
MrMaccieKFC17/08/2020 22:45

My plan anyways, to run down my contract that ends August next year then …My plan anyways, to run down my contract that ends August next year then jump straight into 5G, probably back to Samsung after what would be a decade by then (since S3)However this could end up being sooner rather than later with the upgrade, if banking apps stop working on my Mate 20 Pro. If that’s the case then hopefully it happens by the turn of the year to lessen the impact of upgrading and paying for the contract on top, but the PAC 65075 notice early termination payment should be bearable by then

In general banking apps will see how far out of date the OS on the phone is - that's not likely to happen before the end of the year on a Mate 20 series phone.
alg18/08/2020 08:23

In general banking apps will see how far out of date the OS on the phone …In general banking apps will see how far out of date the OS on the phone is - that's not likely to happen before the end of the year on a Mate 20 series phone.

It’s on Android 10 atm and was set to receive Android 11 before this news happened, now it’s either at Google’s discretion or an open source version of 11 without GMS.
Post a comment
@
    Text