Hue GU10 in Downlight Fitting?

Found 30th Sep 2017
I have the GU10 Lumlife FT-GU10-FIRE-C fitting, will that be big enough to house the GU10 Hue bulbs. I think I actually bought the fitting and existing bulb under this code BU-FT-GU10-FIRE-5W-36.

Any idea if this can house the Hue GU10 bulb?

1. Ask
Groups
  1. Ask
4 Comments

I tried fitting the bulbs into a fire reg fitting and it was a no go, the bulbs are huge. There are bulbs on Amazon that look shorter and work with the hue bridge

I can't help myself but hope you don't mind if I ask a slightly related question..

I was just looking at GU10 fittings myself before I saw this - I'm purchasing some tomorrow for my bathroom refurb and was wondering if the hue GU10's would fit.. Are fire rated a tighter fit around the bulb? I'm looking at getting zone 2/IP44 fittings and was going to have a Google in the morning to see if the hues would fit, I'd rather not buy 1 at £30 to test first. It looks like fore rated are higher spec but I was assuming GU10 bulbs are made to a certain dimensional specification - it appears not?

Further to my comment above, it seems there are long & short housings - the hue GU10's need the longer housing. I've found this link below where someone asks specifically about the hue bulbs on the Q&A on the product page. The housing itself is a fire rated one and seems a reasonable price (although I haven't investigated, it says 60% off) maybe it's worth replacing your existing housings if the hole size and space required is the same: downlights.co.uk/dee…tml

EDIT: It seems the standard white-only bulbs are a standard size but the colour ones are significantly longer and some people have had issues with fitting them to standard fittings.
Edited by: "dirty_stan" 1st Oct 2017

Original Poster

Thanks for reply. I really don't know answer. In my regards it seems fitting dimension is at least Unit height excluding junction box: 105mm. So I am hoping I am ok if Hue is 71mm. But if not I guess it's a change of fitting for me.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants