Huge supermarket queues today (Thursday)

Posted 9th Apr
All the supermarkets near me have very long queues today.

Am I missing something ? They are open during the bank holiday weekend.

There have been short queues during the week but today it's crazy.
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
When I worked in retail Thursday before Good Friday is THE busiest day of the year. It whooped Christmas
33 Comments
Maybe people anticipating them being busy over the bank holiday and wanting to get in before.
Usually without a virus supermarkets are busy before Easter
Saw a line at Tesco today that was just mental. Saw this coming and did the shopping yesterday
They’ve always been long here, but seem to be getting worse. I went to Waitrose last week and the queue was several lines long, whereas the week before it was only one line.
When I worked in retail Thursday before Good Friday is THE busiest day of the year. It whooped Christmas
Before yesterday the que was half the size max of Wednesdays. Even had a day with no qué. But yesterday was the longest I'd ever seen, twice as long, going half a mile Into the car park and back again.
Yep you spend more time in queue than in the supermarket!
Going to have to risk it tomorrow, only chance with no little one with me. Guess it's not going to matter what time I go in
Whoohoo09/04/2020 16:56

Going to have to risk it tomorrow, only chance with no little one with me. …Going to have to risk it tomorrow, only chance with no little one with me. Guess it's not going to matter what time I go in

I went shopping today for groceries thought I'd be home at 2.4 o'clock I was finally home!
It's about the same where I am just people are standing further away from each other now. Last week most were maybe 2m apart but now it's more like 5m.

The newsagent down the road has started doing it today too, it has a separate section for the post office in it and they are now only allowing 1 customer inside for the shop part and 1 for the post office at any one time.

Meanwhile another small shop round the corner has the woman who works it standing outside smoking so hand to mouth constantly, while wearing the gloves she's handling everything with on. I think i'll go stand in the queue for the other one.
Err people want their long Bank Holiday food & drink.

Everyone wants a BBQ in their gardens.
Buckyball09/04/2020 16:31

Saw a line at Tesco today that was just mental. Saw this coming and did …Saw a line at Tesco today that was just mental. Saw this coming and did the shopping yesterday

Snap
Ours was crazy this morning in Asda and this afternoon Sainsbury’s was fine
The problem is people think it’s going to be quite and full of stock in the morning
Edited by: "Misslovely" 9th Apr
The nation has always freaked out over the concept of the supermarkets being closed for a day, hence the customary heaving supermarkets prior to Christmas and Easter.
I went to the local supermarket for opening at 6am and even at that time it was busier than it was last week. No surprise when I realised the date though, totally forgot it was easter weekend to be honest
dont forget they are shut on Sunday as well.
My Asda had the longest queues ever today, my mate works security hes been sick of getting s#%t from people, today he got slapped off a customer
Very long queue at my local tesco today to get in and a very long queue for trolleys once inside.They seem to have shut most of the tills? Luckily i had just a basket and no queue at self checkout.
I braved the two supermarkets yesterday and was suprised to find no Q’s and fairly quiet inside....today I drove past a few supermarkets and the Q’s were very long...glad mine was done yesterday and Easter sorted for my son:D
Toon_army09/04/2020 21:04

My Asda had the longest queues ever today, my mate works security hes been …My Asda had the longest queues ever today, my mate works security hes been sick of getting s#%t from people, today he got slapped off a customer

That’s very sad. Don’t know what comes over some people.
Insanely busy, I queued up 45 mins this afternoon just to get in Tesco, there was a massive queue to pay which went half way round the shop but luckily I done scan and shop which was empty in comparison. It was horrible though, felt like crying when I came out, everyone was really grumpy and aggressive, was so stressful trying to think what you needed whilst trying to avoid everyone. My friend went to Sainsbury’s early in the day and said the same, although afternoons are meant to be a bit quieter
40365038-xQARv.jpgB&Q are even making you queue online now 😳
jessica4109/04/2020 22:15

Insanely busy, I queued up 45 mins this afternoon just to get in Tesco, …Insanely busy, I queued up 45 mins this afternoon just to get in Tesco, there was a massive queue to pay which went half way round the shop but luckily I done scan and shop which was empty in comparison. It was horrible though, felt like crying when I came out, everyone was really grumpy and aggressive, was so stressful trying to think what you needed whilst trying to avoid everyone. My friend went to Sainsbury’s early in the day and said the same, although afternoons are meant to be a bit quieter

relief to read this Jessica, my experience a few days ago exactly the same in Tesco, my guess about 30% of people were in sub-concious mode and ignored the direction arrows and 2m rule, probably without even realising it. They didn't like it though when you tried to remind them
Misslovely09/04/2020 17:33

Ours was crazy this morning in Asda and this afternoon Sainsbury’s was f …Ours was crazy this morning in Asda and this afternoon Sainsbury’s was fineThe problem is people think it’s going to be quite and full of stock in the morning

I was hoping that people would have run out of money by now.

Clearly not
Gollywood09/04/2020 23:16

I was hoping that people would have run out of money by now.Clearly not

They are rich. Must have money stashed somewhere
Plenty of people are now out in roads and traffic like a Sunday tbf
dillydilly09/04/2020 22:25

relief to read this Jessica, my experience a few days ago exactly the same …relief to read this Jessica, my experience a few days ago exactly the same in Tesco, my guess about 30% of people were in sub-concious mode and ignored the direction arrows and 2m rule, probably without even realising it. They didn't like it though when you tried to remind them

Remember that people that were arse holes before Covid19 will still be arse holes during lockdown, possibly worse.

We've seen plenty of examples live; on the news; in the media in the last 4 weeks to prove that.

I'm trying to minimise all shopping activity unless crucial mostly due to the aforementioned arses that hopefully end up in some kind of hell, or equally nasty karma-situation
Edited by: "Gollywood" 9th Apr
Misslovely09/04/2020 23:17

They are rich. Must have money stashed somewhere Plenty of people are now …They are rich. Must have money stashed somewhere Plenty of people are now out in roads and traffic like a Sunday tbf

Stashed in their toilet rolls
dillydilly09/04/2020 22:25

relief to read this Jessica, my experience a few days ago exactly the same …relief to read this Jessica, my experience a few days ago exactly the same in Tesco, my guess about 30% of people were in sub-concious mode and ignored the direction arrows and 2m rule, probably without even realising it. They didn't like it though when you tried to remind them

I would normally go shopping/ stop at the shops on way home from work 3/4 times a week but since lock down have been trying to only go once, I normally do Tesco for my big shop but have been going to Asda and Lidl as they have seemed to be better stocked but we ran out of certain things we get from Tesco so I chose to go to Tesco; I ended up buying extra just so I don’t have to go back any time soon.

We’re lucky in that we have all the main supermarkets within a small distance of each other, it’s funny I’ve never realise how narrow some of the shop isles, I liked the idea of the arrows that Tesco had done but got really annoying when people were going the wrong way- I also found I was happy going up and down then all of a sudden the direction of the arrows changed and I’d started going down the wrong way ended up just making it more stressful, I’ve come to the conclusion that Asda (well my local at least) has the widest isles and was the least stressful experience so gonna just stick to there for now
Couldn't get into Aldi or Asda last night, even though we were there 25 to 30 minutes before closing, due to numbers of people already in store. Did get in Lidl at 7pm but most basics like Veg and Milk were sold out. Yet another shopping trip now needed this morning. Just had an email from Aldi saying they are going back to usual 10pm closing from Tuesday, prefer shopping evenings when it normally isn't too busy.
With so many people either off work or working from home why do people still find if necessary to stick traditional shopping days? We've been doing ours on Tuesdays/ Wednesdays when there are less people around but due to a family bereavement couldn't go this week.
Edited by: "yorkie12" 10th Apr
jessica4109/04/2020 23:59

I would normally go shopping/ stop at the shops on way home from work 3/4 …I would normally go shopping/ stop at the shops on way home from work 3/4 times a week but since lock down have been trying to only go once, I normally do Tesco for my big shop but have been going to Asda and Lidl as they have seemed to be better stocked but we ran out of certain things we get from Tesco so I chose to go to Tesco; I ended up buying extra just so I don’t have to go back any time soon.We’re lucky in that we have all the main supermarkets within a small distance of each other, it’s funny I’ve never realise how narrow some of the shop isles, I liked the idea of the arrows that Tesco had done but got really annoying when people were going the wrong way- I also found I was happy going up and down then all of a sudden the direction of the arrows changed and I’d started going down the wrong way ended up just making it more stressful, I’ve come to the conclusion that Asda (well my local at least) has the widest isles and was the least stressful experience so gonna just stick to there for now

IKEA were way ahead of their time!
yorkie1210/04/2020 05:32

Couldn't get into Aldi or Asda last night, even though we were there 25 to …Couldn't get into Aldi or Asda last night, even though we were there 25 to 30 minutes before closing, due to numbers of people already in store. Did get in Lidl at 7pm but most basics like Veg and Milk were sold out. Yet another shopping trip now needed this morning. Just had an email from Aldi saying they are going back to usual 10pm closing from Tuesday, prefer shopping evenings when it normally isn't too busy.With so many people either off work or working from home why do people still find if necessary to stick traditional shopping days? We've been doing ours on Tuesdays/ Wednesdays when there are less people around but due to a family bereavement couldn't go this week.

Sorry to hear that.Losing a family member is always a difficult time but in the present climate and regulations can be even more distressing.
Aldi will open stores till 10pm from Tuesday to help cope with the queues.
Toon_army09/04/2020 21:04

My Asda had the longest queues ever today, my mate works security hes been …My Asda had the longest queues ever today, my mate works security hes been sick of getting s#%t from people, today he got slapped off a customer

Hope he reported them to the police.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions